-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found a really well done custom 1911, for not a bad price. Unfortunately the slide is black, and the frame is done in green. How hard would it be to remove this green, and do it in black? Or would it be better to strip it down, degrease it, mask critical surfaces, and shoot black over the green?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The only way to remove baked on CeraKote or GunKote is by abrasive blasting.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Cerakote over previous cerakote does work but I always do a light abrasive blast and degrease before changing colors.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Cerakote over previous cerakote does work but I always do a light abrasive blast and degrease before changing colors.

Interesting, Cerakote says not to coat over Cerakote. This has always been a sore spot with me because it creates a lot of extra work if a part has to be baked and re-blasted and completely re-coated rather than touched up. I was going to try to lightly blast a cerakoted piece and re-coat it to see if it would hold up.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by kend
Interesting, Cerakote says not to coat over Cerakote. This has always been a sore spot with me because it creates a lot of extra work if a part has to be baked and re-blasted and completely re-coated rather than touched up. I was going to try to lightly blast a cerakoted piece and re-coat it to see if it would hold up.

It does work just fine. The only issue I've run into is I did a really light color over black and it looked like the color was off. I didn't confirm if it was the color bleeding together or if I just didn't get a good enough coat over it. I blasted it all off and started over...

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
Originally Posted by kend

It does work just fine. The only issue I've run into is I did a really light color over black and it looked like the color was off. I didn't confirm if it was the color bleeding together or if I just didn't get a good enough coat over it. I blasted it all off and started over...

Thanks, I'm really glad you posted this information. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.