-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am fixing to order a stock and checking to see what thickness of recoil lug i should use. I have a savage 116 flat rear reciever with a 300win mag barrel in it for now and fixing to unscrew it and put a 30" mcgowen 338 edge barrel in its place. The recoil lug thats on action is 3/32" thick should i go with a 1/4"? What the thoughts on it and i have the brass and dies for it. Should i head space with a sized piece of brass or get a go gauge? Please let me know what you think?

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

PM sent...............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
In Otteson's book "the bolt action rifle. The savage action was head spaced on an "assembly gage" is was an under size gage (by .002") that would set the barrel a little tight. Then the barrel would seat upon test firing growing the head space the .002" being correct. It makes sense but never tried it so i can't say. I would though trust Stuart Otteson's word though on anything he wrote about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a .240 lug on Rem 700's. I headspace the Edge on a gauge. But where the Savage is readily adjustable, a new, unfired case should work fine. I would set it to make full contact though.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Go with thicker recoil lug most of the factory lugs are not straight. They are stamped and are usually bent. Use a go gauge and set the barrel up so you feel it make contact when the bolt goes to full battery.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Sharp shooter supply comp. .240 SS lug on its way but still in the air on the headspace, may get dave manson to just send me a go gauge and be done with it.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Just an FYI. Copied and pasted out of Otteson's Book Volume II page 71

Each prechambered barrel is screwed and locked into place
against a �go� assembly gauge. A �no go� gauge is then inserted to
make sure the bolt won�t close. These �assembly,� or �swing�
gauges as Savage calls them, look just like headspace gauges, but
are exactly .002 inch shorter, the amount the barrel threads seat
when the newly-assembled 110 rifles are proofed. Following proof
firing, each rifle is rechecked with a set of true headspace gauges.

So you could grind down a go gage and have a SAvage specific assembly gage Or you can just seat it on a go gage and call it good. which is what I have done and will continue to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thousands and thousands of Savage 110 rifles are successfully headspaced by their owners using nothing but a piece of factory new brass. Insert a new, unfired 300 RUM case into the chamber and screw the barrel in until it comes to a dead stop against the closed bolt. Tighten the barrel nut and spend the rest of the time concentrating on sight picture and trigger squeeze.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, was unclear as if should resize the 300rum brass to 338edge before headspacing or leave it 300rum, or if i would matter?

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing that changes is the neck. It is handled the same as the 338-06 would be with the 25-06, 270 and 30-06.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
Just an FYI. Copied and pasted out of Otteson's Book Volume II page 71

Each prechambered barrel is screwed and locked into place
against a �go� assembly gauge. A �no go� gauge is then inserted to
make sure the bolt won�t close. These �assembly,� or �swing�
gauges as Savage calls them, look just like headspace gauges, but
are exactly .002 inch shorter, the amount the barrel threads seat
when the newly-assembled 110 rifles are proofed. Following proof
firing, each rifle is rechecked with a set of true headspace gauges.

So you could grind down a go gage and have a SAvage specific assembly gage Or you can just seat it on a go gage and call it good. which is what I have done and will continue to do.

That may be true, but I can tell you from experience that the factory does not headspace their rifles as tightly as I do at home using a forster go gage. I have my own 22-250 go gage and if you break the barrel nut loose you can screw the barrel down some more with the go gage in the chamber. Brass fired in a couple of factory 22-250's won't chamber after I remove and re-install the barrel using my gage.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Definately upgrade from the Savage recoil lug , they are tin junk !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use a piece of brass which has been FL sized in your particular sizing die.
Why not set the headspace to the dimensions your brass will be when you reload it?

All this said, I'd MUCH rather use a real GO guage.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Well to each their own.
In your case you will be reloading. and therefore can set your headspace nearly anywhere you like.

For those that will be shooting factory rounds I don't recommend headspacing off of brass. just set it to the go gage. Factory brass can be as much as .008" under a go gage.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.