Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'd like to improve on the original sights of my Model 92 44 mag but not sure what's out there. Are ghost sights an option? Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's the front sight change on those, that's the catch.

The square post on every one I've had (four) were solidly engaged to the barrel (I believed they were hard soldered or welded in) and needed to be either milled off, or have a fore/aft slot milled in the top of the sqare post (after cutting off the thin top) for a handmade blade of whatever height needed with whatever bead material (Ivory/gold/fiber optic).

As for peep sights, the m92 will accept any peep sight originally meant for a Winchester 94.

If the M94 peep is a side-mount peep, the side of the M92 needs two holes D/T'd for it on the left side near the locking lugs.
If the M94 peep is a top-mount (for a 94AE) then the top of the M92's receiver side walls/rails need one hole D/T'd in each side just ahead of the locking lugs for that sight.
If the M94 peep is a tang sight, the issue height front sight will zero OK, and the rear tang will need one hole D/T'd for the tang sight's forward base screw, with a longer screw replacing the original stock tang screw at the rear of the sight base.

If you're interested in thinking outside the box, the Williams WGRS peep for a Browning BAR has the same base contour as the top of the M92 bolt, and can be mounted on the top/rear of the bolt via D/T, but needs a much higher front sight.
A small XS peep may also work atop the bolt, but I haven't tried any for the proper base contour.

BTW - Any peep sight can be used as a ghost ring sight via the simple expedient of completely removing the sighting aperture and shooting through the resulting large ring, for speed.

Proper "ghost ring sights" are just peeps that haven't been threaded for apertures - which are more accurate when zeroing/etc.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Rangr44,

Thanks for the info. I'm still debating whether or not to D&T the gun. Of the two, peep or tang sights, which do you feel is quicker to acquire a target?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would advise against a tang sight if you plan to hunt with the gun. While they do provide a slighly longer sight radius and improved accuracy in theory, they are far more fragile than a receiver mounted sight. They also get in the way of you hand when firing. A good Williams FP or older steel Lyman 56 or 66 would be hard to beat as a hunting sight. As for the front post, a small trough can be etched along the length of the front sight post and white, orange, or glow in the dark paint can be carefully applied and you have a very good front sight.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A receiver peep is quicker, but the tanger more deliberate/accurate, and better for target shooting and/or longer-rang unhurried shots on game.

Yet another option would be to swap the rear barrel sight for a folder of the same height, and zero it for relatively short/fast shooting - say 50-75 yards.
Then also mount a tang peep sight, zeroing the tanger for a longer range - say 125-130 yards.
That way, the issue height front sight can be used with both rear sights.
For hunting, the gun can be carried with the tanger folded and the barrel sight up, for any shot that quickly present themselves.
There is usually ample time to fold the barrel sight and raise the tanger for either a longer range shot on game, or at targets.

Here's a Winchester, so equipped:

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I've decided to go with a side mounted receiver site. The time has come for this safe queen to get dirty.

Thanks all for your input

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 74 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.