Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I would like to invest in a nice lever gun in 45 Colt. What, in your opinion, were/are the best of the heap in terms of quality, function & form?

I don't care for rough cheap guns. Good replica's are interesting as well as older models that I may have to put some effort into searching out.

I think I would like a 20" barrel, octagonal preferably & no safety, yuck. I am not up on the models and configurations so please educate me.

Opinions on the Chiappa 1892?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Win 94 trailsend, but currently, the Marlin 1894 Cowboy is in a tapered octagonal barrel in 20 inch in the .45 Colt. Accept for the safety it fits. Maybe you could find one in the pre-safety model?
Also, the Navy Arms 1873 is made in the .45 Colt in case hardened and blued octagonal barrel in 20", or 24", with no safety. It is a beauty but pricey @ $1100.

Hope this helps.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited. Just what you specified. Mine is a really fine rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned, or own, a M94 Winchester, M1894 Marlin, and a M92 Winchester (Miroku) all in .45 Colt. The slickest by far has been the M92, the one most likely to bobble was the M94, the best overall the M1894 Marlin. My first was the M94 Winchester, which is really the wrong action for a 45 Colt (too long, designed for 30/30, 38/55, etc., length cartridges). The Marlin works very well once it is slicked up and broken in. The M92 is the nicest, but also the most expensive and only available in limited runs of various configurations. The only one I own today is the M92.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 45 Colt wasn't readily available in levers for a long period of its existence due to the shape of its brass (straight walled case) and the feeding problems it created. Those seem to have been solved for the most part.

The gun you want depends on its mission. It sounds like you want a general all-around plinker/hunter. Maybe I'm reading stuff in though.

I'd stay away from Winchester '94s. As was said, the longer action isn't conducive to trouble-free operation. I'd also disdain the '66s and '73s. They are archaic actions generally tied to bulkier and sometimes heavier guns than needed. They are great for portrayls and cowboy action shooting, if that's your thing. Otherwise, unless you just like them, get something more modern.

That pretty much leaves the 1894 Marlin or 1892 Winchester clones. I'm not specifically familiar with the Chiappa. The Rossis were/are good. These are Brazilian-made guns and the newer ones may be a bit smoother than older versions. The '94 Marlin is a solid gun and the way to go if you desire a scope. Either of these latter guns will do. On the '92s, you just have to look gun-to-gun to see how smooth the action is and if you want it. I think some versions of the '92 are now even available in stainless, if you want the ultimate in weather protection.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just went down this same road and ended up with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 45LC. Before it showed up, I was a little worried about the 24" octagon barrel being too heavy but, once I had it in hand, I'm VERY glad I went that route. It's balance is unreal and it makes plinking at 50-75 yards easy and a ton of fun!!

FWIW - I also installed a set of XS ghost-ring sights on mine and would definitely recommend that option as well. If you get one, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Here's a nice clip from a guy running the Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45LC......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I just went down this same road and ended up with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 45LC. Before it showed up, I was a little worried about the 24" octagon barrel being too heavy but, once I had it in hand, I'm VERY glad I went that route. It's balance is unreal and it makes plinking at 50-75 yards easy and a ton of fun!!

FWIW - I also installed a set of XS ghost-ring sights on mine and would definitely recommend that option as well. If you get one, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.....

Yup!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not had the "bobble" feeding problem with my 94 the others speak of. I have put @ 600 rounds of factory and reloads out of it with no FTF problems so far. Just lucky or am I missing something?

Shooting 250/255 grain LRN lead out of it will pulverize targets inside 75 yards. I have not tried it off the bench for 100 yard groups but with the open sights supplied on it, once it was dialed in, it hits what it is aimed at with ease.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gonna bring this one back to the top. Love shooting my ruger blackhawk in 45 colt.
Really want a lever gun in the same chambering after my smith showed me a Uberti in 45 c today. It was a 24 or 25" octagon barreled gun with a case hardened looking receiver and slick as could be. Action didn't seem like a super strong looking design to me, but I'm no engineer! Can these uberti guns handle 300 grain cor bon and buffalo bore hunting loads?
If not what could I get that could hit a deers' vitals or hog at 50-100 yards with open sights?
Not gonna shoot cowboy loads in this gun. Not into that at all. Practice with heavies and hunt with heavies. Looking to spend maybe $500-$1,000 for an accurate gun. Not crazy about most Marlin guns but if they made a more classic looking gun I'd take a look.
Gotta be strong and decent accuracy.
Want it to look good to!!!!
Thanks, thread was helpful.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get a used "JM" stamped 1894 marlin you will have a good gun. If you are buying new, anyone but Marlin is a good one.

"rough cheap guns" = New marlins made by remington

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/14/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree on the "rough cheap guns"' part. I've handled a few inthe last few years and I do not care for em.
Wish that Uberti wasn't so dang expensive.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Palmetto
Gonna bring this one back to the top. Love shooting my ruger blackhawk in 45 colt.
Really want a lever gun in the same chambering after my smith showed me a Uberti in 45 c today. It was a 24 or 25" octagon barreled gun with a case hardened looking receiver and slick as could be. Action didn't seem like a super strong looking design to me, but I'm no engineer! Can these uberti guns handle 300 grain cor bon and buffalo bore hunting loads?
If not what could I get that could hit a deers' vitals or hog at 50-100 yards with open sights?
Not gonna shoot cowboy loads in this gun. Not into that at all. Practice with heavies and hunt with heavies. Looking to spend maybe $500-$1,000 for an accurate gun. Not crazy about most Marlin guns but if they made a more classic looking gun I'd take a look.
Gotta be strong and decent accuracy.
Want it to look good to!!!!
Thanks, thread was helpful.
If you are speaking of a toggle-link action, of which the Henry, 1866 and 1873 models are, then not just "no" but "HELL NO". These are weak actions as I said in another post on this thread and should not be used with anything more than standard 45 Colt loads or maybe even Cowboy loads. I consider "Standards" to be a bit hotter than Cowboy loads, which are a rather recent phenomenon. Regardless, you are talking "Ruger Only" or "+P" type 45 Colt loads which are way too hot for the three guns I mentioned. For them, you need a modern 1892 or clone or a Marlin.

As to tradition, Marlin makes this caliber in its "Cowboy" version, which looks pretty traditional to me. The '92s look traditional enough and if you're not planning on scoping it, will do you exceedingly fine.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 04/15/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the Strongest action for 45 Colt?

I want to shoot my Ruger loads

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just replace the safety with one of Clyde's kits.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have been digging alot on this one and the magic choice for me is the Rossi 16" stainless. When I called my dealer he was laughing quite a bit, mentioned the infamous "made of unobtainuim" and so far he has been right. Im tempted to waffle and get a .357 but I have waited a long time, another few months will not matter.

Good luck finding something without a safety. I did see a pretty slick peep site that replaced the safety on the Rossi 92, cannot recall the name but it was mentioned on leverguns.com.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

T
T

I have a 94 Winchester Trapper Carbine that I got in the late 80s as a companion piece for my M25. I lugged it around in the mountains with me for years and put a lot of rounds through it at the range too. It holds 9 rounds of 45 Colt or 10 rounds of 45 Schofield. It's a fun gun for plinking or informal target shooting. In an emergency you could use it for big game size animals (you can even handload it hot enough for it to be legal for big game here). You could use it for small game if you didn't have anything better (it makes a big hole but with lower velocity ammo there is little blood shot meat so you can eat right up to the hole). It could also be used for self defense. I think I paid about $300 for mine and for a long time they didn't cost much more so I always figured that if it were damaged or stolen it wouldn't be the end of the world (can't say that anymore - price really jumped when they quit making them). All in all it wasn't a bad gun for lugging around in the woods or sticking behind the seat of the truck.

I never had feeding problems with my 94. Mine is like it came from the factory and it will feed 330 grain WFNs, it will feed 45 Schofields with 230 gr rnfps and it will feed everything in between. I have heard from other guys who had pistol caliber 94s and had exactly the same experience I did (their rifles just fed everything). I have noticed one thing. The 94 does have a long action for pistol cartridges and if you don't run the lever all the way out it will not feed properly. Also, if the gun has seen a lot of rounds (as a lot of pistol caliber levers do these days) it can have feeding problems too. But if the gun is in good conditon and you work that lever with authority they seem to feed fine.

I recently got one of the Mikoru made 92 Winchesters. It is a trapper length take-down. It's a nice gun. It only holds 7 rounds but I can live with that. It has a nice feel to it. It is slightly shorter than my 94 trapper. It has a pistol grip stock (which I like). It has the rifle style buttstock (which I like) and an octagon barrel (which I also like). The lenght of pull is a tad shorter than I would like. I've only put a few rounds through it so far. It cost too much but when you look at the prices for the Italian clones these days it didn't seem so bad. I would have much rather bought a brand new Connecticut made 92 Winchester with no safety and no rebounding hammer but they just aren't going to make those again.

The Marlins are good guns too but they have only made what I want (trapper length 45 Colt) in very limited numbers and I was never in the right place at the right time to get one at a reasonable price.

Someone mentioned feeding problems with the old 45 Colt cases. I have heard of at least one case of someone being able to get old small rimmed, black powder 45 Colt cartridges to cycle in a modern lever gun (I think I've actually know of two guys doing it but it's been a while). The slightly bigger rims on modern solid head brass are definitly better though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking at a Rossi M92 24" octagon barreled rifle. I would think this action could handle full power 300 grain hunting loads like the Cor Bon 1300 fps loads I shoot in my Blackhawk.
Suggested MSRP is a 1/3 of the Uberti and I assume much stronger? Anyone have any issues with the action or the accuracy?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Check out Leverguns.com

http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

They seem to have a lot of love for the 92 platform in general, called it one of the strongest levers out there. Consider the fact they make the .454 available in the same model with minimal modifications. They run a 300gr out to 1700fps in the .45lc and dont seem to loose any sleep over it.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 04/17/11. Reason: added link

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE, "Opinions on the Chiappa 1892?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Chiappa, great quality and expensive.

However, I am also interested in a 'new' Winchester 1892 Short Lever Action Rifle. One that bears the 'Winchester' name from U.S. Repeating Arms, and is a Davidson's Exclusive ...

20" tapered octagon barrel (rare TAKEDOWN model)
Finish - deep blue
Stock - Satin Walnut Grade II/III, Checkered, Pistol Grip
Caliber - 45 LC
Deluxe Limited Edition - 501 Manufactured
MSRP - $1,899.95

THIS rifle is listed in CDNN Sports catalog (download on-line)
for $999.

The Chiappa 1892 would cost you MORE than this Winchester 1892.

I recently ordered a 'new' Winchester Model-1895, Saddle Ring Carbine, Wood top-stock, 30-40 Krag, (also 501 mfg) - from CDNN. Had it shipped no-hassle to an FFL licensed Pawnbroker for a modest transfer fee.

Google up CDNN Sports Web Site, even if you don't download their catalog, get their toll-free phone number and tell them what you are looking for.

CDNN is also listing several 'Chaparral' Winchester Model-1866 rifles and carbines in 45 Colt, along with a Model-1873, 19" barrel Carbine ... "All Below Distributor Cost" - "Your Choice - $569". The Chaparral rifles (I believe) are also of fine quality and function.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
393 members (222ND, 1lesfox, 320090T, 160user, 12344mag, 303savage, 36 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,587
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.