Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a kid friendly 30-30 lever that will take a scope or red dot. Any experiences with the Mossberg 464?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All second-hand, but listening to comments on the current crop of levers, it's one of the better choices. There definitely seems to a larger percentage of satisfied customers vs the Henry.

Just reporting what I've seen here in print. I don't have any firsthand experience with either.

If you go red dot, may I suggest Burris FastFire II? I have one on my .45-70, and it really allows fast target acquisition with a minimum of fuss. There are other good choices, but I have experience with that one and like it.

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input Vic,
I'll definitely take a look at the Burris. From what I'm reading about the 464, they tried to fill the void of the Win94 with a few updates and improvements. Hoping some out there have hands on experiences.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My nephew bought the Davidson's short barrel model last year and we spent an afternoon together shooting it. Got the rifle zero'd for 100 yards with Simmons 4X scope after just a few shots. Last November, he shot a big doe and medium sized 6 pointer with this Mossberg in western Maryland. Just one shot for each animal. This rifle is a keeper!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have the 464 and put a red dot on it. Originally I installed a Skinner sight, but it just didn't work for me.

The only thing that I noticed was that I had to work the rifle at first to get it to feed. It smoothed out after a while.

It's solidly built, but the tang safety was a pain. I didn't realize it, but it was engaged and I pulled the trigger. The rifle went "click", but no bang. After waiting a bit, I checked the primer. No indent. I tried again. Same thing. That's when I noticed the safety. blush You feel kind of silly when two or three people are staring at you, wondering why your rifle didn't make any noise.

Off with the safety and everything worked after that.

I have the straight stocked model and ordered a removable cheek rest for it. If you install a scope, even one that sits low on the barrel, your face won't properly align.

Well worth the money.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
you got better luck than i did. I ordered one frm davidsons for a customer (i have an ffl) and when it came there ws an empty unthreaded hole where the lever stop pin goes into the receiver on a winchester 94. Also the lever was hard to pull down to open the action. I called mossberg and talked to someone who claimed to be a technical rep and he agreed that the "hole" should have a screw in it. Also that the lever should not be real hard to pull down. He swithed me to the parts dept. and a youn girl promised to send me a replacenment lever plunger spring. This all took place about 8 months agoi,\. I gave up and sendt the gun back to davidsons.
they replaced it. you guessed it, the replcement gun had the exact same problems. I am not selling mossberg 464's again.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No experience shooting, but a comical observation. I saw a hunting magazine, something like "deer & deer hunting", that had an article called "deer rifles you must own someday" and I opened it up. I was expecting to see the classic story on Model 70, model 94, savage 99, etc. class rifles and it was all these new lower class cheap guns. You could tell it was written out of the advertising department because the only lever listed was the mossberg and not even a marlin 336 made the list.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mossberg.. lever action..

No, doesn't work for me. It'd be one of those situations where your son will be talking to his kids some day in the future and going, "You won't believe what I had to hunt with when I first started!". grin

I'd sooner go for a used Marlin 336 or a Savage 99 in 300 loaded down to 30-30 levels. Not sure how young or small your kids are, but it won't kick them around much. Works, too. My son at 14:

[Linked Image]

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm grateful for the input given so far. I'm taking each bit into consideration. I feel like I owe more information on my thought process. My kids are still little. In a week and a half they take the hunter education course and become eligible to shoot in addition to their current walk along. They are both right handed, but left eye dominant. ...so ideally I'd like to introduce them to shooting off the left shoulder first. I had been shopping left handed bolt guns, but after coming back from a pig eradication hunt where I shot a borrowed 30-30 extensively (over a hundred pigs) and realized it offered left and right shoulder options, I started shopping Win94's and Marlin's. I stumbled onto the Mossberg 464 of which I knew nothing...and so here we are.

Calhoun, can you be more specific in your steering away from Mossberg (outside of style or status points)? Between their father and their grandfather, there's many levergun options, but none I'm willing to cut down. Cutting down a new manufacture Mossberg seemed less painful than cutting a 336 or 99.

Last edited by ChrisF; 08/01/12.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Looking for a kid friendly 30-30 lever that will take a scope or red dot. Any experiences with the Mossberg 464?

Some people think the classic straight grip stock causes more lift into the face or can recoil harder than the a pistol grip version.

I prefer the marlin's and how the safety is really optional and you still have a half cock. I like the safety for unloading, but use half cock otherwise.

Check out the williams gun sight website used gun section to get pricing on several makes of levers.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Calhoun, can you be more specific in your steering away from Mossberg (outside of style or status points)? Between their father and their grandfather, there's many levergun options, but none I'm willing to cut down. Cutting down a new manufacture Mossberg seemed less painful than cutting a 336 or 99.

Ah, didn't know how small your kids are. If you are just looking for a youth rifle or another rifle to cut down to be a youth rifle, than use whatever is dependable. I thought you were talking about getting a youngster their first hunting rifle that they'd have for a long time. Be like getting somebody a Pinto for their first car, and trust me that the pain of that never goes away. grin

I'm also right handed and left eye dominant and have one boy who is also, a lever action is a good solution as long as the safety is accessible to a lefty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
you might also look into the rossi model 92 or the rio grande .30-30 is a nice well balanced gun i do personally like the 464 my friend has more than a 336 that i have

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,657
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.