Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Just wondering how many of you that use backpacking woodstoves in your tipis/tents do much cooking. Do you fry fish, bake biscuts etc or just boil water for freeze dried or boil bag meals?

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That reminds me...

I need to order a stove jack for that SL4.

I still need to come help you drink all your beer in your fridge one of these days.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Purely speculation at this point, but my initial plan is boil water for the majority of meals. However, I do plan to bring enough alumnium foil to wrap around the top of the small stove I got from you so that I can fry up some liver/heart/straps should I get so lucky.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Works great for rib-eye, sauteed mushrooms and instant mashed potatoes...
[Linked Image]

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If im not carrying the food on my back (drop camp, pulk)I will eat real food.

Bacon, eggs and pancakes with coffee is good. I dont even eat that stuff at home but it just seems like a shame not to eat it with the "hot camp".

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thought to do quesadilla and grilled cheese on the top of the small stove also crossed my mind...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
for those who cook in the tent, how do you deal with the smell and your clothes? Also, do you have any issues with condensation build up on the inside of the tent/tipi due to steam?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
In a full size tepee with a Knico stove, I do all sorts of good cooking (read fried food).
My experience burrowed into a Paratarp with all my gear and a Tigoat roll up stove, has been limited to boiling or preheating water/snow melt.
If I was a stove designer....
I would think about how to make a small ul stove optimized for melting snow and boiling water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not that good a cook and packing in food is sometimes too much bulk, so other then the basics or something obtained in the field, I tend to MRE's.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I cook a bit if car camping, however backpacking I mainly boil water.

I can go a few days on Jerky, Dried fruit and nuts. Hot water for tea.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Four of us spend ten days moose hunting from a 12 Tipi with small titanium stove.....half our cooking is done on the woodstove and half on a one burner propane. The propane speeds up the coffee in the morning.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I truck camp only--heart condition, arthritis, etc--so I use my tent homemade woodstove for keeping me and the coffee warm. About the only thing I cook on it is Jimmy Dean sausage 'n' biscuits wrapped in foil. I make coffee on a 1-burner propane, and I do most all my cooking in and on the campfire.

My woodstove is two 3-gallon freon bottles welded together. Bent rod legs, flapper front door, heavy iron flue pipe out the back wall of the tent. Wall insulator is two coffee cans connected with a 6" flue connector. The iron pipe--an 18-wheeler drive shaft--goes through the center of the coffee cans, becomes 3" hot water heater flue outside the tent wall, stays horizontal about 4 feet past the tent wall, the goes up about 4 feet.

It sounds like a fire hazard, but it's 100% safe. The coffee can/wall junction gets barely warm. Before I tried the contraption in a tent, I tried it in my front yard, and I built a roaring plastic-bottle fire in the heater. My original thin wall flue became red hot about 18" from the heater wall and actually melted--back to the drawing board. Thus the steel drive shaft.

I hope to use the woodstove next month.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sawtooth steve
a wood stove will cure condensation in a minute or two. as to smell, if you could get downwind of yourself after a few days i am sure the food smell would be the last thing to worry about. same with campfire smoke, which i believe is stronger and lasts longer.

i like to make pilot bread in the evening and a bacon and cheese wrap with coffee in the morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All right Ed, what kind of plan are you "cooking" up in your head. Spill it already! I feel like we are being used here for market research. smile

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Im still hunting the flea markets for a portable cook-stove like this:
[Linked Image]

More practically, I think a hybrid flat top with a roll up half cylinder bottom could halve the weight of a collapsible box stove while maintaining the flat cook top and allow pot holes to speed cooking.

Last edited by barkeater; 01/31/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mostly one pot meals, but also some toasting and grilling. The toasting is accomplished by laying a small grate on top of the stove so things don't just flat out burn. Grilling, put tinfoil under the grate. In winter, I take a large aluminum pot for snow melting duties.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I use those Dollar Store cake racks on the Knico. They fit inside with the rest of the stove stuff.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just boiling water, Ed--on the stove you sold me. And very happy with it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by rayporter
sawtooth steve
a wood stove will cure condensation in a minute or two.

Thanks Rayporter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.