Print Thread
Hop To
#5987736 01/01/12
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I am going to get some TAG bags but I am wondering what sizes I should get.

They will be used mostly for moose, we hunt cows calves and bulls. I think 6 of the 60" bags is overkill but want to make sure I can fit a a full grown bull (Candian, Ontario. Not Alaskan).

Does anyone have experience using the 44" bags with moose? will 6 of those do a moose? or do you mix in two 60" bags and four 44" bags. I want the least amount of bulk and weight that will get the job done.

Thanks guys

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 44" bags will be too small, even for a small moose. I like the bigger bags because you can fit full quarters in each bag and get full coverage of the meat. These bags are the lightest on the market and a full set of the 60" bags weighs only 2 lbs. I carry 2 sets of the them for my moose hunts.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I second the 60" bags. Besides, the price difference from the 44"s to the 60"s is insignificant.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks guys

AkMtnHntr
do you put a whole quarter in the bag or a leg?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put the whole quarter in and when doing a front shoulder that includes the neck meat too. Cut the legs off at the knees and they should fit quite easily.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
any of you guys ever try those caribou gear game bags that sportsman's is carrying? They are also a synthetic material like the tag bags.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a set, but haven't put anything dead in them. They seem like they'd work though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like to use smaller bags, and cut the moose into 8 pieces - 4 legs, loin, 2 rib slabs, and neck/rib steak section. That last part may be more manageable as 2 pieces or debone the neck. I use cotton pillow cases or flour sacks for the smaller pieces, commercial or home made bigger bags for the larger ones. I can't imagine why anyone would want to saw a moose into actual quarters, too much work going through the backbone! - and the pieces are too heavy especially the fronts. But then I butcher my own, maybe some butchers want 'em in big pieces??

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
If we can get an ATV right to the moose then we gut it, cut legs off at knees, remove head and cut in half. 3 or 4 guys can then lift the front half into a trailer and drive that out and return for the back half and head. At home we hang. skin and cut down the backbone with a reciprocating saw and quarters go into the cooler.

If we can't get an ATV to it then we use the gutless method and break it down into 4 legs, loins, neck and trimmings. This is what I want the bags for.

Those moose bags must be huge to get a whole front quarter of a big bull in.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The Tag bags are significantly lighter than the caribou bags

Large tag bag 28x60 = 5.3 ozs
Medium tag bag 24 x 44 = 3.6 ozs

Large caribou bag 28x60 = 7.4 ozs
Medium caribou bag 28 x48 = 6.3 ozs

I like the size of the medium caribou bag by the increased weight and PRICE makes the tag bags a no brainer.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by allheart
If we can get an ATV right to the moose then we gut it, cut legs off at knees, remove head and cut in half. 3 or 4 guys can then lift the front half into a trailer and drive that out and return for the back half and head. At home we hang. skin and cut down the backbone with a reciprocating saw and quarters go into the cooler.

If we can't get an ATV to it then we use the gutless method and break it down into 4 legs, loins, neck and trimmings. This is what I want the bags for.
Those moose bags must be huge to get a whole front quarter of a big bull in.

That is how we do it when we can get an atv to it or not. We leave the neck meat attached to the front shoulders too because it cools better and doesn't need to be rotated like loose trim does. I have yet to kill a bull moose that did not fit in a TAG bag but I supppose it could happen.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my buddy has a set of the 60 in tag bags. we have not got to put a moose in them but have put several elk and bou in them. there is a lot of bag left over when you stuff and elk leg in one of the 60 in bags.

i bought a set of the caribou bags in medium last year but have not got to try them yet. i cant tell that they weigh much more but they take up more room in the pack. 4 of them are about what 6 tag bags are in volume. the material looks the same.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ray are they of the same thickness and do both look equally as durable? I have not been able to do a side by side comparison. Thanks

I Kill Things......deal with it..
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yes.

if you handle the tag bags and then a year later grab the bou bags you will think that they are the same stuff.

if you have both in hand there is a slight wt and thickness difference. the tag bags are lighter. i see no reason the bou bags wont hold up as well, but i wont know for sure untill they are loaded up and hauled around.

midway had the bou bags on sale for around 5 bucks when i got them.

B
B
I have used both tag bags and the Caribou Bags and find that the weight seems minimal from the ones I have, but the quality difference in fabric made me a believer in the Caribou Gear bags. Pure nylon of tag bags verse the synthetic version of bou bags, read the game bag comparison page at their website biggamebags.com. Midway does have a great sale on some of the products, I bought a Carnivore pack, small pack and the hanger. In fact Midway has a sale on lots of hunting gear. Whatever you decide good luck on your hunt!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,353 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.