Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The easy way!

Not exactly backpacking, but if you don't like mountains you should be somewhere else anyway laugh

Helo ride in (I rode in the front with the heat on... my photog friend rode in the back with the door open):

[Linked Image]

Lower glaciers and trying to find a hole in the cloud cover to top out:

[Linked Image]

Above deck at 13,400'

[Linked Image]

On the flight back home today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool stuff Mac! Did you see me mooning you from the top while you flew over...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
beautiful!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So what kind of prop job was it?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks like fun!

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
So what kind of prop job was it?

A-Star chopper, King Air-300 fixed wing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Cool stuff Mac! Did you see me mooning you from the top while you flew over...grin

Dober

Yeah, saw you in your Jammies. grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw both Rainier and Hood for the first time out the window of my Delta flight as we flew into Seattle in early September. The Seattle leg was an accident, result of a bad plane out of Atlanta giving me a new itinerary. Was wicked cool seeing them, though, and I counted it as one of the high points of my trip. Lots of bears were about in the Many Glacier area of Montana.

Nice pics, by the way! smile

Last edited by DELGUE; 11/12/12.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, I have a photo of Rainier similar to that. Taken by my wife a few months ago, courtesy of Alaska Airlines.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cool pictures.

I figured it had to be an A-star with the rotor turning the wrong way!

smile

IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A better shot... mine were taken through the canopy. This through the open door.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photos! I'm envious of your trip.

FWIW story: In a single engine plane once flying from Port Angeles to Redmond, OR, we were on a course around SeaTac headed to pass east of the Rainier summit. SeaTac air control called the pilot to ask him if he was aware that he was headed east of Rainier. He replied that, yes, he was and was changing course to go west of Rainier.

I asked my pilot friend what that was about. He said that normal air flow off of the Pacific creates a huge boiling eddy of clear air turbulence downwind of the peak, to its east. It can be severe on small planes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you ever feel a need to get in shape, do the Wonderland Trail around Rainier. About 90 miles with only about 75' total of level ground ... well, maybe a bit more but that trail has some serious elevation gain & loss. Grat hike.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Having lived in Seattle for 23 year I never get tired of looking at Rainier. I've spent many sunrises and sunsets at Kerry Park on Queen Anne, taking photos of the Seattle skyline with the Big R in the background.

Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have access to at the moment.

[Linked Image]

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spent so much time up there on the weekends when I was in the service, that my buddies thought I was shacking up with some female forest ranger up there...

been all over that mountain...

flying to Seattle to change planes to fly to the rest of the world from Medford OR, it is pretty cool to see all the mountain peaks on the way north...

Lassen and Mt Shasta to the south, MacLaughlin Locally, Mt Jefferson, Sisters, Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Rainier, and several more to the north ( whose names escape me at the moment)...most always snow covered....and most above the clouds when it is cold overcast and rainy down below...

pretty much one of the main reasons I live here in the PNW...

When I was stationed at Ft Lewis, I was there about 30 days before it was clear and you could see Rainier.. I remember my jaw hitting the ground.... it was hard to believe to see something so big and so beautiful when you were east coast raised..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great photos, Thanks!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
It has been more than a few years since I was on Rainier.

Looking at the old gear in the pics, it is pretty laughable.

Your helo ride, sounds like a more relaxing trip up smile

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Stationed at Ft Lewis back from 1976 to 1980 I flew several times via Chinook helo over and back to Yakima Firing Center. Sometimes only a few hundred yards off the Southern face of Rainier. Awesome mountain!

Then, the winter of 1978/79, I spent the entire winter just barely outside the Rainier park entrance at Huckle Berry Mountain Training Camp. An Army adventure camp teaching skiing during the winter and mountaineering during the Summer. Basically got to ski 7 days per week up at Crystal Mountain ski resort. It's no wonder I reenlisted after my first 3 yr enlistment. I was having a ball!

Alan

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Cool shots. Here's one of mine from a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome shots! You can't beat the beauty of nature.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.