Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'll start by saying I'm not a true backpack/mountain hunter but it seems that all hunting gear gets discuss in this section.

I've been using a couple of different uninsulated Browning Goretex jackets over the last several years but I'm thinking of updating my gear. I've been looking at Kuiu and Sitka. How do they compare or is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't checked in on much Sitka Gear lately but I'm guessing that performance wise they are pretty darn comparable. Sitka has a much more diverse product line-up and wide range of combinations where KUIU has more limited (for lack of a better term) options.

Comparing the KUIU attack pants and Guide Jacket to Sitkas 90% line KUIU wins for me on price alone. To me that is the biggest advantage when comparing the two.

All that said, there is some damn good "backpacking" gear available from patagonia, mountain hardware and others that can often be found on closeout for a price that beats them all.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 for non hunting brands. Camo is mostly for your perception and not for the animals. Bonus to buying non camo is that it makes the clothes useful for other occasions.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok, let's say I was going to buy a solid colour jacket between a Kuiu and Sitka. wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would not buy either, they are over-priced and made in China, while some of the finest gear of that type is made here in Vancity. I have used a lot of gear of this type for many years here in BC and the BEST I have ever had is Westcomb, shells and pants made here.

Dull, green, grey or brownish clothing works as well as camo for rifle hunting big game and is as the above gentleman points out, also useful in other circumstances.

I know that cammo is "kewl" among certain types, many are seen on Granville St's "strip" and I kinda doubt that you would want to be mistaken for one of these characters. So, look into Westcomb and I think you will be impressed, especially, the "Neoshell" shells.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
+2 for non hunting brands.... Westcomb, Rab, Montane to add a few more names out there. IMHO the best rain gear is not made with Goretex or by one of the big name hunting companies.

Having said that, I am currently partial to Kuiu.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you wear an XL or XXL top, I'd grab the XXL Guide Jacket (olive or brown) KUIU has is their outlet. For $150 you won't find a better jacket.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic? Thanks jryoung.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic?

you already answered that question wink

is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am very partial to Kuiu after having used both. I do prefer solid colors but would much rather support companies that support hunting.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
BC, of the two, although I've had limited sitka items, I must say I've been very happy with the 7pcs. of kuiu goods I have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KUIU for me. I own lots of both but prefer the KUIU stuff over Sitka. Both are good and both now made in China although KUIU is made through the Toray factory which is Japanese but the factory is in China. If you can find the stuff you want from Westcomb or Wild Things then those are good companies and made in North America.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jryoung
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic?

you already answered that question wink

is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?

Fair enough but don't suggest me a Dodge! grin

Thanks for getting back on track!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Sitka pack, you could imagine my surprise when I learned it wasn't water proof.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have multiple pieces of Sitka clothing.
I put it to a great test last year during a blizzard in Montana and was extremly happy with it.
Cold temps and high winds and not a problem.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I prefer my Kuiu stuff to my Sitka stuff (which was limited to the Ascent pants and some gloves).

Be aware that the kuiu guide jacket is a soft shell, not a rain coat. If you are looking for a raincoat, you are looking for the "chugach", which I have no experience with.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have both. Like both. "For me"... the two pairs of Sitka Ascent pants I own are a little lighter, more breathable material than the one pair of Kuiu Attack pants that I own. I gravitate toward the Ascents in warmer weather, Attack for cooler. Have not noticed a difference in ability to repel water.

Have a Sitka Traverse Hoody. Really like it. soft and comfortable. Breathable. Have a newer pair of Sitka 90% pants, REALLY like those for the number of zippered pockets to store stuff in. Very handy. Have a Guide Jacket. Surprisingly, in the woods, the solid brown color blends in very well. It is a good jacket for mobility. But, need another layer under it for warmth when on stand or glassing below 20*F. So, picked up one of the Kuiu super down vests to layer in when not moving. Will see how that works in October.

Biggest issue I have is being 6ft and variable 220 to 230 lbs. Not all the variations come in size XXL or 42 inch waist. All of my Kuiu gear has a very trim athletic cut to it. Sitka sizing, for me, has been a little variable. Some of the XXL stuff has plenty of room in it. Some of it feels like it is the next size smaller mislabeled for my size.

I have gravitated toward Smart Wool for socks and merino base layers. Lower cost, and as long as it is a dark color, I don't need camo underwear...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Own both, prefer the KUIU. Works great for sheep and goats in Ak.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was backpacking in Nz last year we had 10 inches of rain in 3 days the kuiu was the bomb. What I really liked was how fast it dried and the stretch in material was great and comfortable. I were last fall hunting it rained every day I hunted it was good and comfortable. I don't have any experience with Sitka but I swear by the kuiui

Last edited by ehunter; 07/26/13.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cwh2

Be aware that the kuiu guide jacket is a soft shell, not a rain coat. If you are looking for a raincoat, you are looking for the "chugach", which I have no experience with.

Thanks, I noticed that. I was thinking of the Yukon as an all around jacket. Not sure how noisy it would be. From what I've read it's somewhere between the Guide and the Chugach. That's one the disadvantage of Kuiu, you don't know until you buy it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.