Print Thread
Hop To
A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
What pad are u guys using on sheep/goat hunts?

Thanks for any info!

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
NeoAir, best warmth to weight ratio.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm using a sea to summit because I got tired of patching and/or replacing my neo airs.

I think this is the one: Sea To Summit Ultralight

With a ridge rest under it.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
NeoAir, best warmth to weight ratio.

Yep. I'm also using a Thermarest NeoAir, large, wide. I think you can get a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for a little less money and it's about the same pad.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
With a ridge rest under it.

Yep, and I always take the knives and screwdrivers out of my pockets before bed, too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KC
Yep. I'm also using a Thermarest NeoAir, large, wide. I think you can get a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for a little less money and it's about the same pad.

KC

I'm going to respectfully disagree that they're the same pad. Vertical vs. horizontal baffles--result is a very different feel when laying on them. AIC is filled with synthetic insluation filament, NeoAir uses a heat reflective coating. Obviously different valve designs. I've had both and prefer the NeoAir line between the two. I prefer the Exped Synmat UL 7 to the NeoAir, but not by much.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also, not sheep and goat hunting...though I often see them when backpack hunting mule deer, bears, and elk, as I'm sure many here do.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Neo air. Maybe invest in a pump bag. I get tired of blowing my matteress up after every relocate.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been using a NeoAir for a couple years. I added a ridge-rest / folded-z pad under it 2 summers ago. Together, they're as good as my Cabela's cot pad I used car camping and very nearly as good as my mattress back home ... and a lot easier to carry.

Some things are worth a couple ounces, some aren't. I think the little 2 AAA -powered pump is worth it. Turn the little sucker on and go start dinner. Few minutes later it's done and I'm not hyperventilating.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A $15 ensolite pad from Wally's under an air pad works as well as a Z pad. The problem is that it's pretty bulky. If you can handle that, they work very well

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A $15 ensolite pad from Wally's under an air pad works as well as a Z pad. The problem is that it's pretty bulky. If you can handle that, they work very well

Rocky:

I have both the Z pad and the cheap closed cell foam (Ensolite) pad. Referring to bulk, I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. The Z pad might weigh a little less but the Ensolite pad seems a little more durable. That might be just my impression because I haven't used the Z pad much. It mostly sits in the closet while the cheap Ensolite pad goes backpacking. It may also be that fact that since the Ensolite pad is so cheap, I don't mind too much of it gets damaged with little gouges, tiny tears, etc. The Z pad seems like it would tear easy. But maybe it's the $40 price tag that makes me more careful.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

What's with all the people complaining about blowing up a damn backpacking pad? You'd think they were puffing on one of those inflatable playgrounds or sumthin'..............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1 on the X-Therm. The Neo-Air X-Therm Max in Long- Wide, for Fall & Winter.
I then use a Thermarest X-Lite Women's for summer (shorter, tapered and lighter.)

Ed T

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

What's with all the people complaining about blowing up a damn backpacking pad? You'd think they were puffing on one of those inflatable playgrounds or sumthin'..............

Casey

After those 23,000' sheep!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neoair is the most comfortable mat I have ever used. I spent a month on one this past summer. In the winter if I wasn't packing it I would probably slip one of my old ridge rests under it.

A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
thanks 4 the info guys!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.