Print Thread
Hop To
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Suggestions on any other one man four season shelters?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yea man, I have used the Akto a ton! It's going to be the most bullet proof 4 season shelter you will find. It has a few down sides, but overall the down sides won't out way the good ones.

It does not shed snow as well as other 4 season tents, so in a big snow storm you will need to tap the top to get the snow off of it.

It gets a little condensation on the inside, but if you use the vents, it's not to bad. I live in Colorado, so in this climate, it's never been a problem.

You can get a little cramped inside if you have several days of gear with you, but for the weight of the Akto, it's not to cramped.

The Akto only has 1 side entry door

It takes a good amount of square footage to get it set up correctly, but not much more (if any) then other 4 season tents.

Overall, the only other 4 season tent that I would look at (that I have used anyway), is the Henry Shires tents, they are not quite as bullet proof, but do have some of the things that the Akto is missing and are a little cheaper.

PM me if you have more questions

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ive got both the Akto and Soulo and the soulo is by far the better 4 season tent,(i wouldnt call the Akto a 4 season tent because of the snow loading on the flat roof) and if weight isnt an issue then I take the soulo every time. I love this tent, the moment I put it up I knew it was the one and the list is long, infact its that good that Im in the middle of changing all my gear to allow for the extra weight of it.

Last edited by UKdave; 12/25/10.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for pointing me to the Shires Tents. The Moment tent looks interesting.

Spend most of my time in a Kifaru Paratipi so condensation isnt an issue. Just have a few times when I think there is a better mouse trap such as winter camping and one or two night only trips.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I too like some of the Tarp Tents. The Contrail, though only a three season is my favorite.

Ed T

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I ended up selling my Akto's and use the Supertarp full time now, but I can see your dilemma:)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't forget to take a look at Stephenson's Warmlite tents. They are perhaps more four season than the Hilleburg offerings, although they don't have a cooking vestibule. Tarp tents are my favorite 3 season tents, but if there is snow in the forecast a Hilleburg, Warmlite, or a tipi from Kifaru or TiGoat is a better bet.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Suggestions on any other one man four season shelters?

What conditions do you need it for?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I went opposite of the Reaper and sold my tarp to buy an Akto this year. :-)

I was using a Kifaru Paratarp with Annex. Good stuff, but the bugs crawling over me in the middle of the night got to be too much. I also looked at the Tarptent Moment, but in the end went with the Akto because I felt would would stand up to severe weather a little better. No real-world experience with the Moment, just an educated guess on my part.

For comparison:
Tarptent Moment 2 lbs
Kifaru Paratarp and Annex 1 lbs + stakes + poles/sticks + ground cloth
Akto 3.3 lbs

I've seen people get their Akto's down to around 2.5 lbs but it takes some work and additional $$. I found myself carrying my trekking poles for my Paratarp because I couldn't always count on finding proper sticks to pitch it with due to location and/or lack of time. So that plus some pegs and a ground sheet usually put the weight of that shelter up around 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 lbs. If you carry trekking poles anyway then they become a dual-use item.

Lot's of good choices on the market. Terra Nova also makes similar tents.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yea russ, to many choices and so little money!

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors

I was using a Kifaru Paratarp with Annex. Good stuff, but the bugs crawling over me in the middle of the night got to be too much.

Seems like a Paratarp/Annex would be worth keeping for an UL heated shelter with a Parastove. If it's cold enough for a stove, I wouldn't think bugs would be an issue. If it isn't cold enough for a stove, it's warm enough for a hennessy hammock, it you aren't above timberline. Never used an Atko, a lot of AT winter hikers use them but say that wet, heavy snow is a real problem. I'll probably get a TT Moment.

W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

Mostly one night quick trips year round including winter.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Using a stove in the Paratarp was the original plan. In fact at one point I came real close to adding Titanium Goat's little cylinder stove to the package for colder temps. However, to this point, I haven't been in conditions that couldn't be handled by my current bags and clothing. So in the end I talked myself out of it.

The Tarptent Moment looks to be a nice little tent from all I've seen and read. Henry Shires has a great reputation for his shelters.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Or if you want a cheap tipi, how about a Go-lite shangri la? very good tent indeed

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vigilguy

Mostly one night quick trips year round including winter.

You mean you're not a poser?? laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
grin grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.