Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Just finished having a birthday, and collected a cool $150 in gift cards to REI. I've been big into camping/hiking for many years, but I'm in the infancy of my backpack hunting years. With that, I'd love if you guys could help me spend the money on needs (and maybe some wants grin ) for the backpack hunter.

Here is a list of things I already have:
- Tents (BAgnes & GoLite)
- Pack (NICE longbow)
- Sleeping bag/pad (BAgnes)
- Stove (Jetboil)
- GPS (Basic Garmin ETrex)
- Various clothing items

Ok guys, what do you say? Where should I spend my $150 at REI? Some things I thought of:

- Quality pair of well fitting boots (something I've never had, and no doubt will need. Reccomendations?)
- Upgrade the GPS
- Water filtration system
- Compass
- Better light source (splurge = the Surfire headlamp)
- Camelback
- Hiking poles

From my own thinking, the boots would probably have to be top priority unless you think that REI doesn't carry a brand name fit for backpack hunting. If it helps, my near future (next 3 years) of backpacking I have plans to do Goats in WY, Mule Deer in Eastern CO, and maybe Elk in CO. Mostly Western backpacking hunting.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd say boots would be top of the list. The trick to getting well fitted boots is to go to a place that has knowledgeable staff and a good selection of backpacking oriented boots. Get something suited to backpacking with a heavy pack. I still prefer something that's predominantly leather and provides high ankle support. There's lots of threads on here on how to choose boots. You'll likely spend more than $150 for them.

I don't carry a filter for hunting instead either boiling or using purification tabs due to weight. Your GPS is fine- spend money on maps as you need em. A simple good quality compass is an absolute pack every time item. Learn how to navigate without a GPS. A good headlamp is a must have for me. As a hunter, you're much more likely to be moving or working in the dark than a regular backpacker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Benchmade knife.
Patagonia capaleine.
Trekking poles
Good winter gloves

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PLB

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1a)Boots if you find a pair that fits right and is up to the task
if not, based on your list...

1b)Headlamp (Mammut Lucido TXLite or TX1)

2)Water drops (Chlorine Dioxide)--drops, NOT tabs for me. REI carries Potable Aqua brand Chlor. Diox. which I've not used. Ought to be the same as Aqua Mira though.

3)Wool base top in the 150g/m^2 range (Smartwool, IO/Bio, Icebreaker)

4)Trekking Poles (BD Trail Back is probably the best value that they carry in my book)

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm sure the Surefire light is a good one, but their stuff is pricy. You can probably get better bang for the buck with another brand.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm

I need new boots, but looking in REI last week, I was unimpressed with what they had. Seemed to be smooth trail type boots or high tech mountaineering boots. Your store may be different.

Compass - don't leave home with out it.

H2O filter or other water purification method is a must.

Do you need good hat, gloves, fleece layers, or base layers?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you don't need the latest and greatest, headlamp technology has become very cheap and you can get good lamps using the same 3-AAA batteries made by Energizer for under $20. I spent a night walking out with my $60 Black Diamond and my buddy's $15 Energizer was a better light.

Agree with the advice to buy merino wool base layers. Merino wool is more expensive, but worth it.

Or spend the money on good boots. Its been 20-30 years since REI had consistent, knowledgeable help in the boot department. Head to a mountaineering specialty store and listen to someone with lots of knowledge about foot volume and shape. Your individual volume and shape should drive what brand will fit you best. And be willing to spend good money to get boots that fit well.

Just my 2 cents.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for all the input.

I do have good Merino base layers. Purchased some Icebreaker 150's, and a couple of the First Lite items. I'm pretty darn set on baselayers, and clothes in general.

Only clothing I don't have is a wind breaking/precip shedding soft shell. Got my eye on the charcoal solid color Sitka 90% that High Mountain has on sale. Just having trouble hitting the purchase button.

I do think boots will be the way to go with the money. Not to turn this into a boot thread, but here's the question:

I live in Texas. The hunting I do here is sit/wait, spot/stalk in the rocky, rolling hill country. Would be putting very few "hard" miles on these shoes. With plans to hit plains of WY, Eastern CO - not much big time mountaineering in my close fuure. Will I have a problem with a $150-200 pair of shoes that fit? I guess no one can answer that except my feer.

Just a big price jump from something like the Asolo Moran GTX at $250, and the Merrell Phaser Peak at $145. Both from REI, both get good reviews. Fewer reviews on the Asolo, and I'd imagine that stems from the steeper price.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If the boots fit well and the support/shank is stable enough to support the terrain, then you'll be fine. Good decision to spend your money on good boots.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

- Quality pair of well fitting boots (something I've never had, and no doubt will need. Reccomendations?)
- Upgrade the GPS
- Water filtration system
- Compass
- Better light source (splurge = the Surfire headlamp)
- Camelback
- Hiking poles

No camelback, get a couple of gatorade bottles and a 2L platypus, get a spare bite valve and the patch kit for it.

EdT sold his surefire headlamp, I'm keeping mine. You can probably get as good of a light for less. Do get one that is regulated so you can run lithium AA' or AAA's, some are not.

Katadyn PUR hiker filter, or it's drip/gravity cousin. You can buy a katadyn filter and make your own that is lighter:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html

Silva Ranger or the Suunto equivalent, make sure the model you pick has a scale compatible with your maps, IE, 1:25000. I also reccomend a tritium GI lensatic, works at night.

A basic Etrex is all the GPS any hunter needs, they DO NOT replace a map and compass.

I'm using cheap Komperdell poles, looking at Black Diamonds, EdT likes Gossamer Gear's poles, IIRC.

I'm using Vasque Sundowners (in a wide)many here like Asolo Sassalongs, Sierra Trading sometimes them on sale. I've had good luck with Asolo's lighter boots.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
REI has the Lowa Rangers. Going to try those on...

Thanks for the compass recomendations. I need to spend some time reading the Backcountry Navigation essay's on the Kifaru website.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You'll do fine with a boot budget of $150 or so. Pick something that fits and that has a stiff enough sole to protect your feet in rough terrain while you're carrying a load. I've had good luck in the past with relatively light hiking boots in flatter terrain, even with fairly heavy loads. For me, I've found that steeper terrain has a way of tearing my boots up from the inside as much as from the outside.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (06hunter59, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.