Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#5294950 06/02/11
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Sorry if this has been covered before....but what are you folks using for a sleeping pad?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thermarest Neo-Air

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I recently replaced my Neoairs with the new Exped Synmat UL7. More comfortable than the Neoair (to me) and warmer too. After using it for over a month now, I'd guess the R value (3.1) of the Exped to be a little conservative. It's 2 oz heavier than the Neoair though.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by strawman
I recently replaced my Neoairs with the new Exped Synmat UL7. More comfortable than the Neoair (to me) and warmer too. After using it for over a month now, I'd guess the R value (3.1) of the Exped to be a little conservative. It's 2 oz heavier than the Neoair though.

+1

I did the same thing. I really like that Exped UL7!

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am using a big agnes insulated air core. It seems to be made of a little tougher material than the neo air.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I far prefer the Neoair to the ins. air core, though the air cores are a better value (at least at full price).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I use a Big Agnes but the Neo Air is my next buy.

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I find comfort in the simplicity of a ridgrest. If it's not cold I fold it in half so it doubles up. I sleep better knowing my pad won't deflate on me. Perhaps I'm jaded after sleeping on a IAC on slickrock that deflated and would not hold air more than 30 minutes. Plus inflateables by nature, change over the night.

The ridgrest, I have to sleep on my back a bit more. A good pillow also helps. I stuffed climashield scraps in a small travel pillow case and it does the trick.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I don't understand that. I can sleep on my side on a half-inflated Neoair and my hip is off the ground. I can hardly get enough air into an Exped to do that, and I weigh 170.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I don't understand that. I can sleep on my side on a half-inflated Neoair and my hip is off the ground. I can hardly get enough air into an Exped to do that, and I weigh 170.

Hmmm...that's odd. With the Neoair I would also deflate it to get to a comfortable feel. With the Exped I just blow it all the way up and it's perfect. I never touch the ground with my hips and I'm just north of 200 pounds at the moment.

And that's why it's always best to actually try equipment and not just take someone else's word for it. What works for me and you won't necessarily work for someone else.

Another point on the Exped...it FEELS wider than a regular Neoair even though they're both 20" wide. I'm guessing it's the vertical baffles (as compared to the Neoair's horizontal baffles) that make it feel that way. But again, YMMV. I've read more than one review by Neoair users that feel completely the opposite.

Last edited by strawman; 06/02/11.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I must agree the reg Neoair feels narrow but it is still more comfortable to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another point on the Exped...it FEELS wider than a regular Neoair even though they're both 20" wide. I'm guessing it's the vertical baffles (as compared to the Neoair's horizontal baffles) that make it feel that way. But again, YMMV. I've read more than one review by Neoair users that feel completely the opposite.

Yep. In my case it is 25" wide synmat versus 25" wide Neoair trekker. To me, the horizontal baffles make the Neoair feel wider. They're both comfortable, but I prefer the Neoair.

P
P
Thermarest prolite 4. Best pad I have used. Very compact and lightweight for an insolated pad. The self inflated part is a little over rated but a quick breath into it and your good to go.
Steepandcheap has had em twice today for 56. great deal for a great pad.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I do like the prolite my son had one until the puppy ate it. He know has a zlite, with a dog bite gone from another puppy, at least it still works smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Picked up a BA Aircore for $48 shipped a couple yrs ago and plenty happy. One weird thing is the dimensions list it as 20" wide but mine is actually 24" wide?

Lots of slightly used Neoair pads for sale over on BPL, not sure why though.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MtnHtr, I think that's because everyone is replacing Neoair pads with Neoair trekkers. REI just had the original Neoair pads on sale for a very good price too.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yeah, I think the Neo Air Trekker is a better choice for hard use.

Ed T

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I must have a non-inflated mat with on a trip where I'm inserted by airplane or more than a hard half day from the trailhead. Ridgerest it is.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think there are a couple reasons why a lot of Neoairs are being sold used these days. One, there is more competition in their weight/comfort class with the Exped UL7 and the new POE Peak Elite AC. Also, besides the trekker there is also a new lightweight 4 season Neoair that I believe just became available to the public.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

75 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,026 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.