Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I'm about to open the wallet wide and order a pair of the Kenetrek Hardscrabble hiking boots. From the reviews I've read, they look to be about perfect for early/mid season muleys, elk, and just general hiking/backpacking. Since no one within 250 miles of me carries them, I'll have to order them online, and thought I'd get your opinions as to whether they run true to size, larger, smaller, etc. Would appreciate any input from those of you that have them.

Thanks,

Kurt

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Kurt,

I'd REALLY suggest trying a pair on before you pull the trigger on them. I just about did the same thing, until I tried a pair on and compared them against some others. They're an excellent boot, but I PERSONALLY found them a bit stiff and didn't fit like I wanted (I wish to heck they did). I'm sure others will tell you differently, but it's really up to how your foot fits in 'em....

I ended up going with these bad boys, and absolutely love them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Denali-Hunting-Boots-with-Fit-IQ-by-Meindl/721726.uts

They've been excellent from 0 degrees to 70+. I'm down to them as my single pair of hunting boots and they rock. But again, they might not fit you worth a heck either....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tanner,

That's a fair assessment. Kenetrek offers a good array of size options, but it really helps to be able to try them on. My wife and I live an hour from Kenetrek headquarters, so can try several pairs.

Kentrek does have booths at some trade shows, which is an option if one happens to be in your area. I was at the Safari Club show in Reno the year Kenetrek first offered their women's sizes, and they sold a LOT of boots, just because women could try 'em on!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree that boots need to be tried to really see if they fit

Even custom made boots don't always guarantee satisfactory performance. I once had a pair of White's Packers made with my feet measured at their Spokane store. They never felt good and I even sent them back once to be altered. Kept them for years but rarely wore them. Finally pitched them out even though they cost more than any boots I'd ever bought.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks guys. I'll take the good advice and hold off until I can try a pair on. Tanner, I'll check out the boots you recommended, we've got a Cabelas in KC.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Kurt,
FWIW they run pretty true to size, but narrow on me. I have an 11 in the lowa tibet & just picked up the mountain extreme in 10.5 wide. The 11 just left to much heel movement & i couldn't even get my feet in the regular width. So if you don't want to pay freight twice try them on first, or go with the smaller of the two sizes if you are in between or have a different sizes depending on the brand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
USMC, I was in the exact same situation of not having a Kenetrek retailer in my area. I'd suggest ordering a pair from Zappo's or a similar retailer that allows for returns with free shipping. That way you can try out the boots with no risk.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
8snake:

I like the idea, but Zappo's doesn't carry Kenetrek. Any suggestions on other sites with free return shipping?

Kurt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kurt,

That's a bummer. Zappo's used to carry Kenetrek, so I am not sure what happened there. Amazon (who now owns Zappo's) carries the boots, but I don't think Amazon offers the same free return shipping.

Baker's Shoes will provide free shipping for an exchange, but not a refund. There may be other online retailers that offer free returns. Hope that helps.

Mike

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 05/11/13.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks, Mike. I'll keep looking.

Kurt

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Tanner, tried the kenetreks, they just didn't fit like I had hoped.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I ordered mine mail order. I was assured they run true to size and eventually order a pair of mountain extremes. Size 11 s what I wear and that's what I ordered. They fit ok much like a shoe fit. But when I started doing some serious walking my feet swelled just enough to make them uncomfortable with anything but the lightest socks. I called Kenetreck and they explained the correct way to fit them. Sit in a chair with you knee bent with the boot on loosely and tap your toe on the floor to get your foot to slide full forward in the boot. There should be enough room to get two fingers behind your heel. I could barley get one finger. Boot is too small. Since I used it I cannot return it. I needed one full size larger. I ordered it from another retailer not Kenetreck.
If you order them get them direct from Kenetreck and fit as they suggest. Better yet buy from someone that stocks them.

I gave mine to my son who loves them.

Lefty C

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by USMC2602
8snake:

I like the idea, but Zappo's doesn't carry Kenetrek. Any suggestions on other sites with free return shipping?

Kurt

Use free shipping and returns sites to try. Amazon.com/fashion carries them and they have free shipping and returns. I wear a size 15 so I have to order everything in to try on.

I ordered a pair of Hardscrabble boots. Nice boots, but they did not work for my feet, so I sent them back.

The length and toe box were good. The heel cup did not fit me well. I have a medium to slightly narrow heel and could never get them to fit right. Trying different sock and insert combinations did not work either. To me the heel cup area seems too wide and was not deep enough creating too much slippage. This was really pronounced when walking up stairs, so I sent them back. I did not find them too stiff. I'm sure they would be a good pair of boots if they fit you.

Last edited by gt50; 05/12/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I normally wear a 10 to 10.5 depending on the shoe or boot. I ordered my Mountain Extremes in size 11 to so that I can wear heavier socks. Mine were a perfect fit. The toe box gives me more than ample room for climbing, side hill and descending without any discomfort. Very happy with my Kenetreks.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both my wife and I were too, though we got ours fitted at headquarters.

About three months after I got them, went on a 2-week bear hunt in Alaska for both black and and grizzlies. At the end of the hunt I was the only guy in camp without blisters or wet feet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
About three months after I got them, went on a 2-week bear hunt in Alaska for both black and and grizzlies. At the end of the hunt I was the only guy in camp without blisters or wet feet.

I had the exact same experience on an elk hunt in CO a few years ago with two buddies. They scoffed at the price of my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes before that trip, but both of them are bringing Mountain Extremes on our hunt this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that anybody that scoffs at the price of good boots stops scoffing after about 3-4 miles with a heavy pack on....grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've run into the same as some others where they fit well in the toe box but too loose in the heel. I've had them for a few years but didn't do any real hard hiking and sidehilling until this spring. Started getting hot spots 5 miles in. Also did the insert/spacer/sock shuffle without any success so far. Probably throw them on the classifieds soon and start again with something else so they're broken in by Sept.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Same experience here with the Hardscrabble. Too lose in the heel for me but it is almost always a problem. Normal to wide fore foot and narrow heels are a terrible combo. Lowa's (the Tibet and Renegade)make my feet happy. And Pacs if it gets really cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kurt,

I was in the same boat as you being hours from a dealer, but had the chance to try on a pair while on vacation one summer and knew which size I needed. I found them to run true to size from my experience.

Since my feet run narrow I also wanted to try a on narrow width which few dealers normally keep in stock. I called K-trek and told them my predicament about narrow vs medium width and they agreed to send me two pairs and I could keep the one that fit best and they would pick up return shipping if the boots did not fit right.

Pretty good of them to do that if necessary, but the narrow's fit like a dream and I sent back the mediums. Really like'em.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.