Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm in the market for a new pack at the $500 price point.

The two I'm currently considering are:
Mystery Ranch Metcalf
Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

I haven't tried either of them on yet, just researching and hoping to pick the brains of anyone more experienced than me at this point.

I've heard great things about Kuiu, but have yet to mess with any of their gear, only owned a few clothing items at this point.

I do high country hunts and prefer to keep things as minimal as possible when packing in. Typically sleep in a bivy and only bring a set of binos, no spotter. Hikes in could be up to 15 miles and last up to a week. I need something that will carry comfortably well and stand up to a decent amount of punishment.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I"d also look at the exo pack as well as stone glacier and kifaru.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $500, you can do way better than a Kuiu or MR. I like MR, but they're heavy and require an added upgrade to the frame to achieve any lift above the shoulders. A Kuiu Icon is one of the last packs I'd ever spend money on.

I'd take a pretty hard look at a lightly used Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Tanner said with the exception MR's new frame has the load lifters incorporated and is a little lighter than previously. I also concur that Kuiu isn't as comfortable once weight is added. I tried that route last year.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tanner
For $500, you can do way better than a Kuiu or MR. I like MR, but they're heavy and require an added upgrade to the frame to achieve any lift above the shoulders. A Kuiu Icon is one of the last packs I'd ever spend money on.

Tanner

Sound advice! Rockslide has used ones all the time under your price!

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Tanner

Yep. Listen to Tanner, he knows gear.

I have four Stone Glaciers and love them.

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Did some checking into the Stone Glacier stuff... it sounds so similar to the Mystery Ranch stuff to me.
What makes it any better than the Mystery Ranch? I'm genuinely interested and not trying to be argumentative about it. I know very little about packs at this point, but really want to be able to carry loads out without destroying a pack or being overly sore from a poorly designed system - my previous experience so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only "hunting" pack I'd consider is Kifaru. It's the only pack marketed to hunters that allows a custom fit to the back when using the aluminum stay option. It's available in three torso sizes.

Otherwise, find a used, pre-2008 Arctery Bora 80 or 95, a used Dana Design Terraplane or Astralplane, or a pre-2000 Osprey Silhouette or Zenith, or a 1990's Mountainsmith.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Brad
The only "hunting" pack I'd consider is Kifaru. It's the only pack marketed to hunters that allows a custom fit to the back when using the aluminum stay option. It's available in three torso sizes.

Otherwise, find a used, pre-2008 Arctery Bora 80 or 95, a used Dana Design Terraplane or Astralplane, or a pre-2000 Osprey Silhouette or Zenith, or a 1990's Mountainsmith.

Kifaru is a bit above my price range...
What's wrong with Mystery Ranch? I thought they were a hunting pack marketed to hunters?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad, what do you think about other Osprey packs, like the Argon?

I already have an Astralplane.

Last edited by JRaw; 03/22/17.
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's a couple of good packs that you might want to check out.

I use and Osprey Aether 85 now.
Osprey Aether 85
It's the most comfortable backpack that I own. But it's not a hunting pack.

I've been considering buying a KUIU Ultra 6000 pack
KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I've been seeing good stuff about the Kuiu Ultra 6000 bag with the Pro Frame & Suspension added. I may go that route for now, just because the price is so agreeable and I could always upgrade next season if I feel the need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd take a beat up Kifaru or Stone Glacier way before a brand new KUIU.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wilkup
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I've been seeing good stuff about the Kuiu Ultra 6000 bag with the Pro Frame & Suspension added. I may go that route for now, just because the price is so agreeable and I could always upgrade next season if I feel the need.

I have guided hunters using Kuiu Ultras and have worn them for a short period of time, and I can tell you that I wouldn't use one for hunting and packing any weight if it was given to me for free. For light use and general backpacking it'd be fine.

My main gripe with MR is the weight and short frame length. But, as Scott said above, they did supposedly improve their new frame.

Your $500 will easily buy you a very solid lightly used Kifaru setup.

Tanner

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Upgrading later will just cost you money, a used Kifaru as has been mentioned will put you ahead of the game!

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I have guided hunters using Kuiu Ultras and have worn them for a short period of time, and I can tell you that I wouldn't use one for hunting and packing any weight if it was given to me for free. For light use and general backpacking it'd be fine.

My main gripe with MR is the weight and short frame length. But, as Scott said above, they did supposedly improve their new frame.

Tanner

Would you mind elaborating on why the Kuiu is a poor choice? I'm ready and willing to learn but just hearing multiple people say they wouldn't wear a Kuiu if given one for free doesn't help me make any sort informed decision. I don't want to be disagreeable; I'm here to learn something new, so tell me why... because rockslide has some favorable reviews of the Kuiu pack systems.

Last edited by Wilkup; 03/22/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If minimalist is your goal, I'd look hard at the Seek Outside packs. Between SG, SO, and Kifaru, I'm guessing you'll find something that turns your crank.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They are all similar but very different packs. I've talked to lots of people and heard their experiences. I've heard people have good luck with heavy loads with the Kuiu Pro, I've tried it heavy, I heard people have problems with 30 lbs. Same goes for Kifaru, Stone glacier, MR, Seek Outside or any of them. Fit is a bit body style dependent and personal preference.

I don't think any of them are a bad choice, but several may not be the best choice to you. Personally, I think it starts with body type and size, and the type of user you are. After that what features do you value the most (Durability ? Weight ? Pockets of a certain type ? ). All the packs mentioned I think have pretty good reliability records since the kinks have been worked out.

For instance, of the packs mentioned, I think people with more of a mountaineer build will work better with a couple of the packs, while those built more like a halfback build may have better luck with a couple of the other packs.

Users that backpack at timberline might have better success with one pack than those that spend more time in brush.

Personally, given your description of minimal and bivy, and longer distances, I would steer you towards our pack (Seek Outside) or Stone Glacier or KUIU (though I can't comment on the ultra, all I've worn is the pro). The other packs are just heavier, and less minimalistic.

Not trying to be a salesman here, just trying to state one persons opinion of perfect may not be your style. A lot depends on your body type and hunt type.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 03/22/17.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Tanner

Would you mind elaborating on why the Kuiu is a poor choice? I'm ready and willing to learn but just hearing multiple people say they wouldn't wear a Kuiu if given one for free doesn't help me make any sort informed decision. I don't want to be disagreeable; I'm here to learn something new, so tell me why... because rockslide has some favorable reviews of the Kuiu pack systems.

In my experience with the Ultra on and watching my clients wear them; the shoulder straps were too thin, the belt wrapped the hips poorly, and the frame was weak. One of them actually ended up taking the bag off the frame and zip-tying it to an external Barney's frame. In my opinion, Kuiu cut too many corners on this pack in particular and it shows up in particular with anything even moderately heavy inside of it.

My end point being: invest in something with a solid and proven suspension system. Your back and shoulders will thank you at the end of a long heavy pack-out.

Tanner

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
They are all similar but very different packs. I've talked to lots of people and heard their experiences. I've heard people have good luck with heavy loads with the Kuiu Pro, I've tried it heavy, I heard people have problems with 30 lbs. Same goes for Kifaru, Stone glacier, MR, Seek Outside or any of them. Fit is a bit body style dependent and personal preference.

I don't think any of them are a bad choice, but several may not be the best choice to you. Personally, I think it starts with body type and size, and the type of user you are. After that what features do you value the most (Durability ? Weight ? Pockets of a certain type ? ). All the packs mentioned I think have pretty good reliability records since the kinks have been worked out.

For instance, of the packs mentioned, I think people with more of a mountaineer build will work better with a couple of the packs, while those built more like a halfback build may have better luck with a couple of the other packs.

Users that backpack at timberline might have better success with one pack than those that spend more time in brush.

Personally, given your description of minimal and bivy, and longer distances, I would steer you towards our pack (Seek Outside) or Stone Glacier or KUIU (though I can't comment on the ultra, all I've worn is the pro). The other packs are just heavier, and less minimalistic.

Not trying to be a salesman here, just trying to state one persons opinion of perfect may not be your style. A lot depends on your body type and hunt type.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, it was extremely informative and helpful. I guess my body type is somewhere between a mountaineer and halfback, maybe think smaller stature linebacker 😉 I'm 6'1" and 210. Definitely larger framed than most of my lean and light mountaineering/climbing buddies but still love to get after a good route. I may have to order a few and try them on for size.
The current pack I've used for the past several years backpacking and last hunting season is a simple Northface Venturi 40, so no matter what I upgrade to, it's gonna be amazing 😉

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.