Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Hi I got a chance at a 22 4" barrel one dont have the factory wood grips tho just rubber pac., are these worth the $$$$$? blue is great, trigger pll is very light & smooth, Im temped, what do you guys think!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always wanted a Diamondback in 38 Spec. They are worth every penny. Not sure about the 22 version, but I'd bet it does everything you'd want.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Hi I got a chance at a 22 4" barrel one dont have the factory wood grips tho just rubber pac., are these worth the $$$$$? blue is great, trigger pll is very light & smooth, Im temped, what do you guys think!
It all depends on how many $$$$$.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
about 200 more than I want to spend its in an Estate sale I can get it for 800. I see they are going for alot more on g.B., very temped!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
about 200 more than I want to spend its in an Estate sale I can get it for 800. I see they are going for alot more on g.B., very temped!
I tie it to Python prices. They aren't worth as much as a Python. Python prices are all over the map. If you can get one around here for a grand, you haven't done bad. I'd think it would probably be worth that in today's market. Anything can happen though, so I wouldn't buy it strictly as an investment.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes id shoot it, also two pythons, 4' 6", All with the same pac. grips, and white paint on the front sights, they are 1100, 1200

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They are high grade, modified, Detective Specials. Sweet guns. Halfway in frame size between a S&W K and J Frame, and probably more ideal in size than either of those for a .22 revolver.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
saddlering, you would not get hurt by those prices at all on any, especially the Diamondback. I really enjoy the Diamondbacks and shoot them way more than I do my Pythons, mostly because they fit better in my hand. Plus, the .22 is just so much cheaper to shoot.

In my neck of the woods, the .22 will bring a good 10% premium over the .38. The 4" is the most common, but would still sit in a gunshop with an asking price of $1200 or so. It might not sell quickly at that, but would at a $1K.

Just my $0.02.

Coltfan

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes Im going to call the shop today and see if they will hold it with a deposit, I consigned 3 handguns there yesterday, and said if any sold hold the DB for me! thanks all!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes id shoot it, also two pythons, 4' 6", All with the same pac. grips, and white paint on the front sights, they are 1100, 1200
You oughta see if they'd take $2800 cash for the lot. Be sure and knock them down for having non-original grips.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A few years ago a friend bought a LNIB DB for about $1100. I found him another cylinder and he had it fitted and rebored to .22 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

They, as well as the Pythons, were exquisitely made revolvers and the price now demands that....

If you can find a Shooters Bible from when the first year the DB came out one of the calibers listed was .22 Magnum...only a handful got out of the factory. One day a LEO friend of mine who had been looking for a .22 DB called and said he had seen one but had passed because it was .22 Magnum and didn't want the expense of .22 Magnum shells... I told him want he had passed up...the dealer wanted $350.00 and that was about in 1996. My friend called back and but it was gone. That gun today would probably bring $3K.

Here is a current auction for a .22...it is already over a grand...yours for $800...if I had seen it the gun would already be in my safe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273507110

.and another...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273375642

..$1200 and counting...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273028395

Shooter grade 4"...$1100.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266714008

Run don't walk to get that gun and kiss him after the sale...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CDNN has original looking wood grips for $44.95. WITH the Colt emblem, too. I wish I had seen these and known about these grips when I had a Python with the same Pachmeyers. I would buy that Diamondback in a New York Minute if I had the bucks to do so. Not only a really fine shooter, but an hierloom to pass down someday and something to be proud of and majorly enjoy in the meantime.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Diamondbacks (and the Pythons) are great looking revolvers.

Be warned the last ones from the dark days of the 1980's may not be so well made. I saw one once that came new in the box with the Diamondback stamp upside down.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
SWEET!!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think they are grossly over priced for the quality they represent. As others have noted, they are tied to the Python in price, but don't confuse them with this action; they are nothing close.

I've had a couple, back when they weren't so dear, and neither held a candle to my K-22 (M17) S&W. I'd much prefer a Smith, and you can get a -4 (P&R) much cheaper and in really nice shape.

The Python is similarly over priced, IMO. Nicely made, much higher quality than Diamondback, but still not my cup of tea. The three I had all shot extremely well, but I didn't like the stacking of the action in double action, nor did I like the way they feel in my hand as much as the Smith of any variety.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Diamondback .38 and like it quite a bit. It is significantly smaller and lighter than a K-frame Smith but shoots very well. Of course I got it a number of years ago when prices were much more reasonable. Not sure I'd care to buy one at today's prices. I don't care for the original grip but it is easily replaceable - I used wood grips from a Police Positive Special (similar to the late Detective Special grips but longer) which I feel is appropriate since it is essentially a target version of that revolver. The DA trigger pull does stack some but I find it tolerable, and there are a couple of smiths around that are supposed to be able to modify it to a single pull like a Smith and Wesson.

You can improve the stacking in some cases by checking whether the two leaves of the mainspring contact each other as the trigger is pulled. If they do, that worsens the stacking significantly. In that case, putting a thin piece of metal between them and cocking the hammer (on an empty cylinder, obviously) will bend them enough so that they no longer contact. Do it carefully and only as much as is needed to prevent the two leaves from contacting each other partway through the DA trigger pull. This won't completely remove the stacking but will improve it and as an added bonus will decrease the DA pull a pound or so.

I should add that I have a Smith M18 in .22LR that I also like a lot. I guess I'm fairly "promiscuous" when it comes to handguns. :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GF1, You are a Soul-less heretic.... smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a 22 Diamondback with a 6" barrel a few years ago.

Very accurate, works well. I don't have a lot of experience with 22 revolvers but this one is certainly well made, fits the hand well, and very accurate. Not sorry I bought it.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.