Print Thread
Hop To
C
CEJ1895 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hi All, I'm in the market for a .22 pistol and I've narrowed it down to a Sig Sauer 1911 22 or a Ruger Mark III Hunter. Opinions?

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CEJ,

Got three Mark 3's and no sig 1911 .22.

The Sig 1911 .22 LR is made by GSG not Sig, You generally pay a little more for the sig name. Don't know who handles warranty, but GSG is considered stellar in customer service.

I have had a couple of Mk II's and used to shoot bullseye pistol. The MK III's need a little work, but it is all stuff you can do===> put in a set of sam's bushings (look over on rimfire central for his email under the MK III subforum), remove the magazine safety and either replace the factory trigger with volquartsen's or put a trigger stop in the factory trigger. Most folks are happy with it the way it comes from the factory...but this will improve the trigger for you.

Basically it depends on whether you want to train on a 1911 platform or just like the feel of the 1911 OR if you want hunting/target grade accuracy go with the MK III

Jerry

All kinds of reading on the Sig/GSG 1911 .22LR;

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 06/12/12.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got 4 of the Mark III's including the Hunter and love them. There are a ton of aftermarket parts for them if you choose to modify it. Very reliable and accurate pistols. And, don't let anybody scare you about having to take them apart, it's not hard at all.

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The Ruger 22/45 offers the same great pistol with the 1911 grip angle. Something to consider.

NRA Life Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CEJ1895: I purchased my Ruger MK III Hunter last fall and I have been happy as a clam with it since day one.
I have an optical red dot sight on mine and accuracy is VERY impressive (for me, from heavy sand bags!).
I use mine exclusively now for Ground Squirrel Hunting.
My MK III fires without a glitch and the trigger is pleasing if not quite perfect.
IF, for some unknown reason, you purchase the MK III and do not like it then resale would be prompt and with little loss of your initial purchase price!
These pistols are very popular and not very common these days.
I have no experience with the Sig Sauer 1911/22.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shoot Mark IIS but I bought the GSG 22
Man it feels like a 1911 and the short time I shot mine it shot OK

But to break it down you need wrench and thats not so bad but when you get inside lots of plastic inside and Mags are about 35.00
Its a "gimick gun" it will shoot for a while
The Ruger will shoot forever The ruger will easily accept a scope or red dot if later you choose that
and probably any ammo

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not to jack the thread but what is the difference between theRuger MKII & MKIII?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I want a 1911 pistol, I'd only consider one chambered in 45 ACP or 38 Super ...

If I want what is (IMO) the 'best' .22 LR pistol, I'd choose the Ruger MK III.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eh,

The Mk III has (and the MK II does not have); Key to lock the gun so it does not function when locked, Magazine safety (magazine has to be in the gun to be able to shoot it), a loaded cartridge indicator (LCI). All items for the legal dept and states that require them... but they are all possible liabilities for function and the magazine safety does impair the trigger (compared to a MK II).

What the MK III has that is a bonus is; the 22/45 now has replaceable (1911) grips and some models are threaded for a suppressor, and an aluminum shrouded barrel/receiver is available on one model (that happens also to be threaded).

As boatboy notes you can almost get two MK III magazines for the price of one GSG/Sig magazine. The GSG/Sig's do have some parts breakage problems, guide rod i think and ambidextrous safety. I have read over at RFC of several folks that have over one thousand rounds and counting on their GSG's with minimal or no problems. Also, the GSG and I think the Sig's are threaded.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 06/12/12.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the Ruger and don't look back.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Ruger Mark II at 25 yards from bags. I lost the last one after seeing 9 shots make a ragged hole, my mental problem! [Linked Image]

C
CEJ1895 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Well, it looks like I'm going with the Ruger! Thanks guys for all of the information you've given I appreciate it..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
My Ruger Mark II at 25 yards from bags. I lost the last one after seeing 9 shots make a ragged hole, my mental problem! [Linked Image]

Ammo choice for such fancy shootin'

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
eh,

The Mk III has (and the MK II does not have); Key to lock the gun so it does not function when locked, Magazine safety (magazine has to be in the gun to be able to shoot it), a loaded cartridge indicator (LCI). All items for the legal dept and states that require them... but they are all possible liabilities for function and the magazine safety does impair the trigger (compared to a MK II).

What the MK III has that is a bonus is; the 22/45 now has replaceable (1911) grips and some models are threaded for a suppressor, and an aluminum shrouded barrel/receiver is available on one model (that happens also to be threaded).

As boatboy notes you can almost get two MK III magazines for the price of one GSG/Sig magazine. The GSG/Sig's do have some parts breakage problems, guide rod i think and ambidextrous safety. I have read over at RFC of several folks that have over one thousand rounds and counting on their GSG's with minimal or no problems. Also, the GSG and I think the Sig's are threaded.

Jerry

Thank you Jerry. I have a pair of 678 Gov't models.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have heard little in the way of complaints on the GSG pistols, or the Sig, so chances are you�ll be happy with it. As for it vs. the Ruger, it�s going to come down to personal preference and which you�re likely to shoot more. From the standpoint of quality, reliability, and accuracy, the Ruger is going to win every time. The Ruger IS the benchmark pistol in .22 rimfire; that�s the one all other pistols are measured against. And for good reason� My out of the box, completely stock Ruger Mk III standard (4� tapered barrel, fixed sights) will cut groups in half in comparison to my K-22, that�s saying something. Mechanical accuracy wise, they shoot very close to a S&W Model 41 when you find it�s pet load and that�s really something; especially when you consider that the S&W 41 is nearly 3x the price of the Ruger. Really the only thing the Ruger truly lacks is a cool factor; they�re pretty blas� by today�s standards. But one can overcome that by buying on of the factory threaded 22/45�s, then add a can on the end and you�re straight up James Bond cool.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

Ammo choice for such fancy shootin'

True. You can have a super expensive .22 and it will spray bullets. Ammo is the worst thing today for the .22.
I find the CCI Blue Tag hollow points about the best overall.
I shot that group with RWS R50 match ammo, very expensive.
The next is Fed bulk for a lot of shooting. WW bulk sucks. Rem has gone to pot.
Yet a Ruger can really shoot as good as a target gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

575 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.