Print Thread
Hop To
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Finally got to the range long enough for my wife to run 50 rounds thru her new M&P9c. Loading the magazine was totally ridiculous. Each magazine included with the pistol has the heaviest spring I have ever encountered. I'm about 6', 200lbs, pretty stout grip and have loaded many different magazines, and these almost defeated me. Unbelievable the contortions I went thru to stack the rounds and I'm talking about 1st to last. And was only loading 5rds or 10rds in a 12rd magazine.

Before I call customer service has anyone here experienced this issue. Thanks for the input.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shootem
Finally got to the range long enough for my wife to run 50 rounds thru her new M&P9c. Loading the magazine was totally ridiculous. Each magazine included with the pistol has the heaviest spring I have ever encountered. I'm about 6', 200lbs, pretty stout grip and have loaded many different magazines, and these almost defeated me. Unbelievable the contortions I went thru to stack the rounds and I'm talking about 1st to last. And was only loading 5rds or 10rds in a 12rd magazine.

Before I call customer service has anyone here experienced this issue. Thanks for the input.

....yes, you're not alone....it's not as big an issue with the .45 M&P as with the 9mm.....the real problem is not so much the spring as the follower--it has a ridiculous incline on the side. I was helping with a class the other day and lady that was probably 60 rented a 9mm M&P-----she was physically incapable of getting the first round in the mag. After the 1st one's in, it's not too bad as you have relatively "level" surface to push down against (the previous cartridge), but the first one requires pushing sideways against the incline on the follower while simultaneously pushing down and to the rear. The guy in the booth next to her had a Glock 19----I asked if I could borrow a magazine and she had no problem loading it. I agree----while it's at least partly a training issue, it's still not something that you'd want to have to perform during a period of stress (i.e. a gunfight) when your fine motor skills are evaporating.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My M&P isn't a compact, just standard fair, but it's not any more difficult that other magazines I've loaded.

This makes a huge difference, especially when doing a lot of shooting:
Magazine Loader

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trust me, with a compact pistol you REALLY want that stiff magazine spring. See, the slide doesn�t go much past the magazine before it makes its return trip. Full sized pistols go as much as 1/4" past the magazine before making its return trip. The top round is compressed under the slide, so that stiff spring is needed in order to get the proper timing returning the round to the top of the feed lips before the slide starts its way home (technically speaking, that timing is lickety-split!). Weaken the magazine spring, and you�ll find the slide missing the rim of the cartridge and hanging up about 2/3 of the way up the case.

Solution: Get a HKS magazine loader and call it good. Will save you on finger wear, and it will save huge dollars from the cuss jar.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I also have experience loading Glock compacts, the 23, 19 and 26, the Ruger LCP, IAI .380 and some others I've probably forgotten. They are no comparison to the M&P. I'll give a call to S&W tomorrow and see if there's a solution other than a mag loader. Can't help but think maybe there has been some kind of upgrade and mine missed it. Even after the 1st round covers the follower it's a real struggle to pack the rounds in. Thanks all.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RyanTX
My M&P isn't a compact, just standard fair, but it's not any more difficult that other magazines I've loaded.

Magazine Loader
I took delivery on one of those last month, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's in my range bag, but so far loading up the mags on my M&P hasn't been an issue. I will try to remember to give it a try, though. I hear good things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are wasting your time calling S&W, all the Compact magazines are like that - tight and tough. That little mag loader makes it easy as pie. Buy the mag loader...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No upgrade. Buy the Uplula and be done with it.

I like mine so much I bought one for my AR's.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RyanTX

Magazine Loader
I took delivery on one of those last month, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's in my range bag, but so far loading up the mags on my M&P hasn't been an issue. I will try to remember to give it a try, though. I hear good things.

I love mine, especially when loading the 19-rd mags for my XDm. Very easy to use, and much faster (for me) than using just my fingers. Plus, no sore fingers.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep, Uplula is worth every penny. Everyone thats ever tried mine has bought one themselves shortly after.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.