Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
On occasion, (Not Frequently) my Ruger 10/22 Magazine misfeeds. I was going to buy a Butler Creek Hot lips Magazine, but after reading the reviews, which are about half against and half pro Butler Creek, I am on the fence. I have the rifle cleaned once a year by a gunsmith. I use about 100 bullets a year on yard pests. I use 36 grain lead hollow point Winchester ammo.
My question is this. Is it something I should just live with, or is there a quick fix, like changing ammo, getting some dry lube into the magazine, etc.?
The Butler creek mag's are so cheap, I am a little concerned that they may not be any better than my Ruger factory Mag.
Any comments are appreciated.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
factory mags are cheap, too. and everywhere.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only Butler Creek that even half assed works is the Steel Lips.
And remember, I said half assed.
I'd go with the Ruger.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
factory mags are cheap, too. and everywhere.....

Exactomundo .... buy a couple and run them through and see if they give you different results. Since you're paying to have your gun gone over every year, seems like real cheap insurance to have some new mags.

If the new mags fix your problem, you can either clean the old ones and use them as spares OR sell them as here on the cheap letting the new owner they will need to be cleaned. Meesa thinks there'd be lotsa folks willing to send you some shekels!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stay with Ruger Magazines.

I find they are easy to clean. So is the rifle itself.

Here are some instructions FWIW.

http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That was a great tutorial on how to clean the Magazine. Thanks much. I'll get on it tomorrow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Book-marking tutorial. Thanks.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Butler creek poly (hot) lips dont work worth a crap....the price is appealing, but I would go with the factory mags since there is not a whole lot of diff in price from the SS butlers and the Ruger factory mags

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only Ruger factory mags for my 10/22s.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BX-25 ... mucho fun smile

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i like the clear Ruger mags

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gunsmith to clean and only 100 rounds a year? Something is dreadfully wrong here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ditto......

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I fnally caught it in the act. After a jam, I removed the magazine and the magazine had the cartridge still in the feed slot, but about half-way out and angled upwards. I took a magnifying glass and looked closely at the feed slot and noticed that it was not machined straight, but the further towards the chamber it got, the narrower the feed slot got. I also noticed at the point that it jams, it will hang up when loading. I have to force the bullet in. So I told my wife to get me a BX 25 Ruger mag. for Christmas and if that does it, I'll send this Mag back to Ruger. Thanks for all the suggestions.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Knowing Ruger, sending that magazine in will surely get you a new correct one. They have Awesome customer service in my experiences...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sixslug
Knowing Ruger, sending that magazine in will surely get you a new correct one. They have Awesome customer service in my experiences...

Absolutely.

Enclose a note with your issue, I would be shocked if Ruger didn't send you a new one.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hope a new mag works, things like that can get irritating. On the issue of cleaning, don't waste your time and money on paying a gunsmith. That's money you could be using to shoot. It does not need cleaning yearly by any means. A lot of guys don't clean theirs at all. After all, it is a 10/22, they always work. Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it. Shoot the crap out of it until you can do it with your eyes closed. A lot more fun then paying someone for something unnecessary.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it.

Ding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it.

Ding.

Good luck finding a chitload anywhere theses days frown

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Ding.

Good luck finding a chitload anywhere theses days frown

Ding.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,818
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.