Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anyone have one? Opinions? Accuracy? Worth the bux IYO?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a boatpaddle 77/22 Magnum that has killed about 3000 prairie dogs so far. It thumps them quite well within 150 yards or a bit more. I get groups of about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with 40 gr. W-W Super-X JHP ammunition. So far that is the only load I have ever used, and fortunately I have a stash of it.

Since Ruger has discontinued the 77/22 and all of the other 77/xx rifles, I doubt if you would ever lose money on one. I do like the feel of the 77/22 better than almost all other bolt action rimfires, but that is a subjective opinion. Function has been flawless.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/28/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you buy an "older" model with the non threaded barrel (action end) it is held in the action with a v-block and the barrels can be changed out very easily.

I have a "magnum" gun with 17 HMR and 22 WMR barrels and a "LR" gun with 22 LR and 17 HM2 barrels.

One too many hobbies....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are a damn nice rifle. Kind of like shooting a slightly miniature version of a big game hunting rifle. They function flawlessly, have the excellent rotary magazine and great aesthetics. However, of the ones I've shot and seen shoot, they do not shoot as well as some of the other 22WMR's out there, even when comparing older versions with older versions. For instance, I've never seen any Ruger m77 22wmr shoot as well as my 642KD chuckster or marlin 22wmr. There are some guys at the club that shoot the older 22wmr's (older 77's) and they don't shoot as well as the newer RAR 22WMR.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting.. Yeah, I bought a Marlin XT-22 in 22WMR (walnut stocked) and I really like it so far - BUT, I haven't had a chance to actually put some rounds on paper.. My "range" is about 6" under snow.. laugh

I'm thinking I might just skip the M77. I've heard other reports of accuracy issues - which should NOT happen with a (roughly) $700 rifle..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: If you are looking for a Ruger 77/22 Magnum Varmint model the folks at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana have a nice one for an asking price of $599.00 (no sales tax)!
I have enclosed a link to them just in case.

Link: http://www.shedhorn.com/firearms.aspx?CategoryID=336

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redneck: If you are looking for a Ruger 77/22 Magnum Varmint model the folks at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana have a nice one for an asking price of $599.00 (no sales tax)!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have seen a few of these around. Pay close attention to stock and metal options. This is not my taste in a relatively hi dollar gun. Blue steel and walnut are more the exception than the rule to late model 77's.

That is a good price, I admit that. I saw close to $1000 in a local shop. I bet they got a heck of a whole sale price break, but; decided not to pass that on to the customer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That's a laminate wood stock.. I can get a NIB SS/walnut 77 in .22WMR for $659 + ship. Just don't know if I NEED it.. (Yeah, I know - I know, when has NEED had anything to do with it.. laugh )

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i understand the hesitation when paying good money for a rifle and the talk of accuracy issues come up from some folks. however i will say that there are a lot of very happy M77/22 shooters out there who got more than acceptable accuracy out of theirs. but at the same time a guy can't buy a Marlin 39A for under 500.00 anymore and a Winchester 94/22 will go yet another couple hundred north of that and none/most of those will not be as accurate as most M77/22's are yet i never hear anyone not buying because it wont be accurate for that kind of money. the M77/22 platform is my most favorite rimfire to shoot with because of the fit and feel of a real gun. i sold my CZ455 because of that, i just kept grabbing one of the Rugers. but that is me. anyway i sure would try to use one for a while to see if it is what you are looking for.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold a very accurate CZ453 to finance a neat little 77/22 RSI for that reason. It just looks, feels, and handles better to me. So far, it doesn't shoot as well, but I haven't really tinkered with it as yet. It is plenty accurate enough for hunting, plinking, and serious rifle practice. The 77/series aren't perfect, but they're great little rifles regardless.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ordered it this am... (rifle loonies just GOTTA).. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my 77/22's are all finicky about the bedding. one likes free float with pressure on the fore end. another works best completely free floated. the other one is stock with just the front action screw cranked down. all of mine will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards with cci mini mags with the occasional flyer which is probably my fault. i like them because they are like 3/4 scale deer rifles.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Anyone have one? Opinions? Accuracy? Worth the bux IYO?

IMO ... absolutely. I had one of the shiny boatpaddle sporters for a couple years. Accuracy, with a 4X Simmons RF scope, was around 1-1/4" at 100 yards with the CCI Maxi Mag +V load.

Couple notes: Midway just notified me they had some of that ammo in stock right now. That stuff shot the same in a Winchester 9422 mag. It shoots well in a 10" TC barrel. So far, I've never found a revolver that likes it.

Two negatives to that rifle: (1) The spacing on the rings is long. It generally takes a full sized scope, not one of the compact RF scopes, and it's only marginal with a front extension ring. (2) The triggers fairly suck. As a gunsmith, you're going to have tricks up your sleeve that I don't. The trigger / sear geometry is akin to the Blackhawk .... same sort of mod to reduce engagement and polish to smooth the pull. Aftermarket sear is a good idea. The springs that come with those are better but still not ideal. I think with a sack full of spring stock to choose from you can lighten that spring without making it unsafe as you would by merely shortening it.

Also, the shims from Triggershims.com are a good idea. Haven't finished setup but I think I'm going to be happy.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I'm very familiar with working on M77 triggers - so I'll see how good (or bad) this one is before I decide what to do..

There is an aftermarket kit for these that I've had some customers ask that I install and I have to admit they're pretty dang good.. What's touchy is the machining of the safety notch to ensure it engages OK w/o more than about .002 of gap.. No biggie..

Good point re: ring spacing - but I think I have a couple scopes available that should work OK.. I'll find out by Wednesday.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got it yesterday.. Yeah, it's SS/Walnut but coated with a matte, dull Target Gray..

ISH.

Removed the stock, completely disassembled the firearm and by using a powered brush and scotch pad, I got rid of that pos Target Gray.. Now I have a nice, smooth and slick SS/Walnut M77. Did a little trigger work on it while I had the chance. MUCHO better...

I had a silver Leupold Vari-X III 2.5X8 laying around and mounted it.. Too freakin' cold (-8F right now) to take it out and shoot it. cry

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck did you remove the barrel from the action while it was out of the stock? (assuming it is a slip fit model)if so how was the fit between the shank and the receiver?

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
No - didn't remove the barrel.. No need to. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
understand, i only asked because if is a slip fit model and accuracy is not where you really want it, the fit of the shank to the receiver (loose opposed to tight)can be a area of interest. not the only item mind you but just one variable you can eliminate if need be.

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hear ya... Maybe the .22rfs are slip-fit; I'm not sure.. This one has threads and fitted like a centerfire..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
I hear ya... Maybe the .22rfs are slip-fit; I'm not sure.. This one has threads and fitted like a centerfire..

they went to threaded models in about 2009 or 2011, i can't remember which anymore. there are still new old stock out there and you may not know which kind you get until you take it apart.
personally i wouldn't mind a threaded model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.