Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I picked up a CZ 455 in 22 WMR new year�s eve. Paid a bit much for it but it's the first I've run across in my rounds through the local shops. IMO, it is gorgeous and it just screamed buy me.

Now this is the first serious hunting rim fire I've purchased in some time and like most folks I�m starting to do my homework on picking up the perfect scope. My quarry will be mostly fox, that is why I went with such a svelte gun in the first place. No fat barreled porkers for me.

But therein lies the conundrum. All the �experts� will tell you that a good rim fire deserves a AO scope. Every one I've seen are just monsters and will ruin the handiness of this rifle.
Does anyone know of a compact AO scope? Do they even exist?

I'm starting to look hard at the Burris Timberline 3-9x 32mm Ballistic Plex since it fits my size criteria and the ballistic reticle might come in handy. But is does not have an AO.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My own personal preference,...I will never put another AO on any of my rimfires for hunting purposes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like AO scopes on my rimfires and have no problems with my Leupold 8x AO on my 17 HM2 CZ 452 that gets LOTS of use on gophers. That said, an AO scope might be more likely to have problems in the field if you use your equipment hard.

If that's a concern, get a non-AO Leupold and send it to their custom shop to have the parallax correction set at the distance you think most appropriate for the majority of your expected shots. For example, maybe somewhere between 75-100 yards.

Another thing to remember is how the scope will fit on your CZ given the bolt handle profile and the amount of clearance between the scope's ocular housing and the bolt handle.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i like AO's on my rimfires, and i like the lines of small to mid-sized variables , although i have gone a tad larger on some of them in using scopes that i had on hand at the time, and then i liked them well enough to where i ended up leaving them.

but...on a a few rifles i am using 2x7's & 3x9 compacts without AO are working great for me, and they do look sleeker.

currently using the older burris compacts in 4-12x, the burris short mag compact 4.5-14xAO, the leupold 3-9xAO EFR compact, the old leupold 6xAO fixed power compact, and teh weaver 3-9xAO RF scope. been happy with all of them.

older burris 4.5-14x short mag compact on CZ .22mag..
[Linked Image]

on the right, another CZ, with a leupold 3x9compact (non-AO)
[Linked Image]

============================================================

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I know you want small and light.If that was my #1 goal I would get a Leupold VX2 2-7 and have them change parallex to 50 yards.

On the other hand half the fun of having an accurate rimfire is creating bug holes as far as possible.You might want to consider something like a VX2 4-12 AO or Weaver V16.I have the 4-12 on an Annie 1416 and while it looks a little big,it does not overbalance the rifle at all.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First ... IMHO a rimfire that is dedicated to solely hunting and not making tiny groups DOES NOT need or warrant a scope with an AO, esp for game the size of fox. 2-7x and bee happy.

BUT, if you feel the need for an AO's scope, Leupold has their 3-9x EFR AO, Nikon has a similar version as does Weaver ... there are plenty of choices. Out to 125-150 yards I cannot see the need for more than 9x for fox sized game (or squirrel for that matter) OTOH, I'm sure someone will disagree and tell you a 6.5-24x50 AO is needed. Good luck with that. smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by avagadro
First ... IMHO a rimfire that is dedicated to solely hunting and not making tiny groups DOES NOT need or warrant a scope with an AO, esp for game the size of fox. 2-7x and bee happy.

BUT, if you feel the need for an AO's scope, Leupold has their 3-9x EFR AO, <snip>

That is my choice -- I have an old Brno 452 that is really accurate. I settled on this Leupold 3-9x EFR AO scope after trying a lot of other scopes (including 6-24x AO and 8-32x AO). It is all you need...

This scope is small and light and looks appropriate on a hunting rifle but you can use the adjustable objective to train at the range or to shoot at short distances with an air rifle (the Leupold is safe for air rifles, many scopes fail on an air rifle that work fine on a .338 Mag).

Just my two cents worth.

John

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've not owned the 3-9 EFR AO but I've read that it isn't one of Leupolds best scopes.For a hunting only scope I would probably go 2-7 VX2,which is a scope I love,with a parallex change.

JPB
Can you compare the two optically?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/04/13.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 455 in 22 lr. I also have a Nikon prostaff 2-7x33 to put on it. My biggest gripe is finding a set of rings to fit it. I am thinking talley fixed rings low height. Does anyone have any experience concerning this combo?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've not owned the 3-9 EFR AO but I've read that it isn't one of Leupolds best scopes.For a hunting only scope I would probably go 2-7 VX2,which is a scope I love,with a parallex change.

JPB

I have both and really enjoy both. Never had both side by side.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

JPB

I just checked, and sadly the scope I liked (the Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR Matte Rifle Scope 58710) and was writing about has been discontinued. frown

Evidently it has been replaced by the 3-9x Ultralight -- maybe that is the scope you have read than stellar reports about? In any case I do like my scope a lot and it has stood up well to a lot: everything from an RWS air rifle that kills many scopes with its double recoil, and all the way up to my .375 H&H Magnum (I got the rifle and had no scope for it).

Cheers,

John

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The new VX-1 2-7x33 with LRD that I put on the switch barrel CZ455 is a nice scope. Click adjustments, clear, light, etc. At 50 yards I can adjust the eye piece focus for no parallax and can do the same at 100 yds. Shot a 5 shot .3" group with the .22LR and Winchester Power Points when I bought it last fall. I just put the .17 HMR barrel on it over Christmas and shot a .9" 5 shot group at 100 yds in a bit of wind. Nice scope, and to my eyes equal to or better than my year old VXII 2-7x33 with LRD that is on the Kimber .338 Federal.

As for mounts, I have a set of dovetail aluminum Tasco or Bushnell ".22" mounts that were the lowest I could find a few years ago. The scope and mount combo still clear the bolt handle. The CZ groove is only 13mm (I live in BC, don't know about US rifles). To make the 3/8" dovetail tighten up I filed a bit off the base so that the clamp would tighten on the narrower dovetail groove of the CZ.

Anyway, this combo makes for a great looking unit that shoots as well as it looks.

I do have an old Leupold M8 8x40AO (1976 vintage) with fine cross duplex on a Cooper .22 M57 Sporter. It is a fine scope, and back in production as an FX series unit.

I have an old Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10x40 with 4 custom dots in it (1976 as well). Great scope for a super accurate Cooper M57 .17HMR. This is one of my favorite scopes.

Anyway, if it were my new CZ 455 .22 Mag I'd buy a new Leupold VX 1 or 2 in a 2-7 or 3-9 with the LRD reticule. Don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them. The 2-7 is more compact and the 3-9 gives a bit more power for targets and small varmints as long range. (Not required for a fox gun chambered in .22 Mag)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On a rimfire a good fixed power scope between 2x and 4x is awful hard to beat. I have a K-4 Classic on my 10/22 and just bought a K2.5 Classic for my 452. For a .22 mag, I'd look into either:

Weaver Classic K-4
Leupold FX-II 4x33

Can't go wrong with either for what you're using it for.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you want svelt, you might want to stick with either a 4 power or 2-7 Weaver or Leupold RF scope with a 28mm objective. I hunt foxes with a 22RF in medium to heavy cover and went for a small scope. I went with the Weaver becuase it's $100 cheaper, but every bit as good as the Leupold. Regardless of which one you choose, both are 9-10 inches long and about 8 to 10 oz.

I have a Nikon 4x32mm on a Model 60. It's got great glass, but it's too big for my other rimfires. WRT size, the scope should match the rifle IMO.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
read the T bolt thread and old bricktop will tell you just how you can't mount a good scope on a cz , read it all and you will see truly how smart a guy he is

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
read the T bolt thread and old bricktop will tell you just how you can't mount a good scope on a cz , read it all and you will see truly how smart a guy he is
That's not what I posted, dickhead. Here's the quote that seems to confuse your non-reading ass:

Originally Posted by Bricktop
It's not a straight forward process of scope mounting on a CZ. That's a fact. As much as I hate to use an Internet message board as a point of reference, the fact that the girls over at rimfirecentral.com have compiled a multi-page list of how to mount a scope on a CZ for multiple mount/scope combinations says a hell of a lot.

It's pretty damned easy to see who doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground on this issue, Cousin Eddie, and it ain't me.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well people can go read EVERYTHING YOU posted and judge for theirself, but maybe I am a freaking genius case I had no problems mounting a scope on varies 452's or may your just a ........... whistle

Last edited by ldholton; 01/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
Well people can go read EVERYTHING YOU posted and judge for theirself, but maybe I am a freaking genius case I had no problems mounting a scope on varies 452's or may your just a ........... whistle
Maybe you ought to find someone to read it TO YOU, but you sure as [bleep] can't process any-f*cking-thing that was posted, dumbass.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
well i'm a cz rimfire man and have never has a problem mounting a scope to any of them. i have cz-452 americans in .22lr,.17hmr,and .17hm2 all with leupold vx2 40mm AO scopes on them. the .22lr uses a 4-12 and the .17's use 6-18's mounted with burris signature rings in medium height. granted i can't get but one business card between the objective and the barrel but i like my scopes as low as possible to the barrel. the cz's bolt throw is pretty high but i learned to work around that when i saw the accuracy that these rifles are capable of.
just my .02 and ymmv,
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The rimfirecentral list of what works with what has some useful information. IMO it is worth looking at before buying rings for a paticular CZ rifle / scope combo.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.