Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

Purchased the 452 from Buds.

Overall very pleased. Wood better than expected with plenty of character. Trigger not as bad as expected. Minimal creep and overtravel, but a bit heavy breaking at repeatable 3.5# on my spring scale. Think I’ll go with the Basix after I pay my last speeding ticket. Bolt a bit rough sliding in along the rails, but I’m sure it will smooth out. Few tool marks on the bottom of cavity cut in the underside of bolt.

Mounted a Weaver Classic Rimfire RV9 Scope 3-9x 32mm Adjustable Objective in medium Warne rings. Have a couple of these Weavers and they are hard to beat at $240 from Midway.

Shooting at 50 yards. Few shots to get in on paper. Then five with CCI Standard Velocity, three with CCI Green Tag ( won’t try these again in this rifle) Ten with Federal Ultra Match, Three with SK Standard Plus (sucked). Many more types to try; keeping my fingers crossed on the cheap stuff.

[Linked Image]

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try a Yo-Dave trigger kit first for $20 and you likely won't spend the money on the Basix. It made my trigger very close to my Anschutz.

When you switch ammo give it 30-40 rounds before deciding. Sometimes the barrel needs time to get conditioned to the new lube before it shoots its best.

ClearRidge makes a scope that is very similiar to the RV9 that you might like a little more. It's a quality scope made in Japan.
https://theopticzone.com/product/clearidge-ultra-rm-3-9x32-ao-duplex-dot-gloss-3360/

Congrats on the 452. It's very hard to beat without spending more than $1000.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That Ultra Match group is damn impressive.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That Ultra Match group is damn impressive.

It's also currently 1/2 off at midway

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when you switch ammo brands/types you may need to shoot 15 or so of the new brand before you shoot for groups. you could very well have misleading info if you just switch ammo and shoot a group or two with it and then switch to another ammo and so on and so on. just saying you may want to try to repeat those groups a little longer before making a big purchase.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
thanks for the heads up on switching. i have noticed in another rifle that it starts grouping much better by the third group after switch ammo. now i know why.

also thanks for the heads up on the scope. the adjustments with a coin on the weaver are pain.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ned,
Think about it. You are shooting lead bullets. Any experienced lead bullet rifle shooter will tell you how sensitive bullets are to lubrication.

Now go through the various types of ammo you just shot and compare the lube type on the bullets by rubbing them on your fingers. Quite a difference- especially between loads like the Federal and the SK which tend to have an oily wax on them.

FWIW, I don't beleive that 30-40 shots are needed when switch ammo, but at least 10 rounds are.

What model of CZ452 did you buy? I bought a Feb 2016 proofed 45w American last fall and it shoots like your rifle. I am very pleased with it. Keep that bolt clean and well piled. It will get very smooth after a while.
smile

Last edited by jk16; 03/14/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bought a 455. Could not warm up to the backwards safety. Sold it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
ned Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Jk 16,

It's the CZ 452 American that Buds sells. 2 digit code after the day proof mark is 16, (2016)

Thanks for the info on lead. Other than plinking with my 10/22 this is my first serious run at 22 long rifle shooting.

Ned

Last edited by ned; 03/15/17.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another Bud's 452 guy here. Very pleased.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I prefer the 452's.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I prefer the 452's.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own one, but I too must have a flush magazine and forward operating safety. Shot a buddie's and it did well. Not well enough, however, to have me dump my Rugers and Anschutes.

1Minute
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1minute: My thoughts on the wonderfully accurate CZ line of rimfires is the same as yours - I simply will NOT buy a CZ with the bassackwards (unsafe!) safeties!
Period!
Then once they fix that they will have to correct the hang down in the way most all the time magazines.
Forward is fire - nothing else will do for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I see folks post about the "backwards" safety and wonder why. If someone is confounded by it I wonder if they really should even be using a firearm. The "backwards" safety fire position is as intuitive as pulling back the hammer on an exposed hammer rifle such as a Winchester/Marlin lever gun, or a Colt single action.

To the CZ's credit their safety is a firing pin blocking safety, not a sear block safety which is more unreliable. I do not see it as an issue, particularly on a rimfire. I rarely rely on a safety anyway, if I have a round in the chamber I have the bolt forward and the bolt handle up - if I am going to take a shot I push the bolt handle down with my thumb as I am shouldering the rifle. It is not like we are dangerous game hunting here.

As far as the magazine hanging down - your beloved 541's are one of the worse offenders of this, not only that but they have a protruding magazine release that sometimes inadvertently releases and the magazine is dropped. However the CZ rimfires have a much more secure magazine release and I am unaware of that happening with them.

Personally I own both and all I am saying is that you are making both items into a bigger deal than they really are.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love my 452.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my cz's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If someone is confounded

I simply have my likes and dislikes. As long as someone in the market will service my likes, and I can afford it, I'll follow my personal leanings.

Again, I find them accurate, but just don't care for them.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
1minute: My thoughts on the wonderfully accurate CZ line of rimfires is the same as yours - I simply will NOT buy a CZ with the bassackwards (unsafe!) safeties!
Period!
Then once they fix that they will have to correct the hang down in the way most all the time magazines.
Forward is fire - nothing else will do for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Didn't you know that it's the model 70's that are backwards. I love the simple CZ safety that visibly locks the FP. It's a shame that a guy such as yourself who enjoys rimfires so much is missing out on owning the best quality for the price rimfire on the market. I don't see any issue with the 5 round mags. They don't hang down any farther than my 64 action Annie. I doubt you will be lacking on good rimfires to shoot though. Just keep holding into the wind my friend.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
I see folks post about the "backwards" safety and wonder why. If someone is confounded by it I wonder if they really should even be using a firearm. The "backwards" safety fire position is as intuitive as pulling back the hammer on an exposed hammer rifle such as a Winchester/Marlin lever gun, or a Colt single action.

To the CZ's credit their safety is a firing pin blocking safety, not a sear block safety which is more unreliable. I do not see it as an issue, particularly on a rimfire. I rarely rely on a safety anyway, if I have a round in the chamber I have the bolt forward and the bolt handle up - if I am going to take a shot I push the bolt handle down with my thumb as I am shouldering the rifle. It is not like we are dangerous game hunting here.

As far as the magazine hanging down - your beloved 541's are one of the worse offenders of this, not only that but they have a protruding magazine release that sometimes inadvertently releases and the magazine is dropped. However the CZ rimfires have a much more secure magazine release and I am unaware of that happening with them.

Personally I own both and all I am saying is that you are making both items into a bigger deal than they really are.

drover

+ 1,000

Well said:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.