Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
LAKEWOOD, Colo. -- The Colorado Department of Agriculture is investigating a confirmed case of Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1) within the state.

A quarantine has been placed on a Douglas County premises after a horse was confirmed with the virus.

The horse was transported from Iowa by a private owner and was euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with the disease. There are three other facilities in Colorado that received horses from the same transport company. Those horses are isolated and are being closely monitored for any clinical signs of EHV.

Unlike the EHV-1 outbreak in 2011, this case is not associated with any equine show or event. To date, no other horses have become ill with similar signs. With the exception of the index and direct contact horses� premises the state veterinarian is not recommending movement or event restrictions.

"The Department is taking quick and appropriate actions to control and mitigate this disease," said State Veterinarian, Dr. Keith Roehr. "We will continue to trace the movement of this horse and those horses it came into contact with in order to protect Colorado's equine industry."

EHV-1 is not transmissible to people; it can be a serious disease of horses that can cause respiratory, neurological disease and death. The most common way for EHV-1 to spread is by direct horse-to-horse contact. The virus can also spread through the air, contaminated equipment, clothing and hands.

Symptoms include fever, decreased coordination, nasal discharge, urine dribbling, loss of tail tone, hind limb weakness, leaning against a wall or fence to maintain balance, lethargy, and the inability to rise. While there is no cure, the symptoms of the disease may be treatable.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/15/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Saddlesore, do you have a link to the story? I want to share it with some friends of mine.

Thanks,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Just Google Equine Herpes, Colorado.This was on TV two nights ago.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn you deflave.....

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by teal
Damn you deflave.....

laugh

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn you deflave.....

Diet Pepsi.....nasal passages......bastid

laugh

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mink
Damn you deflave.....

Diet Pepsi.....nasal passages......bastid

laugh

Glad to be of service.

Me

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
This isn't anything to joke about. Two years ago an outbreak from a cutting competition in Utah, ended up closing all horse transport if four states,and a lot of other areas and just about ended all competiotion for the summer. The non-equine owners/users might think it funny,but is akin to canceling elk/deer season in the entire west if this is not knocked down quickly

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Vince-

I don't think Teal is poking fun at this situation, but rather at other threads that deflave (Travis) has commented on.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not poking fun at the situation - just Travis.

Have friends who've competed at the World Equestrian Games - I don't hate horses or their riders....

Me

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.