Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got a large doe this year and used my TV winch to load her. I carry a rope, a pulley, and a winch line extention to get deer out. I tied my canteen to the rope and got it over a large limb, ran the winch line through the pulley, hoisted the pulley up and tied off the rope. I hooked the winch line to the deer and hoisted her, swung her on the ATV, and strapped her down. No hurt back and no hernia. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Next, try it with a 1,000 pound moose. smile Eat your wheatties, first. Nothing like an ATV, a Warn winch and a good length of line. I loaded a 800 pound cow in one piece into the back of my trailer (pickup box trlr) by myself once just with the bike and the winch. No trees around for help. The winch paid for itself that day. 400 yards across a scarified clear cut, then into the trailer. Wife and kids watched the whole process.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's no end to the variations depending on the situation. Another way, especially if a strong tree isn't available, is to rig a pulley in the front of the trailer/truck bed and slide the deceased up a ramp. A piece of plywood over your ATV ramps can serve nicely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabela's used to sell a device which was a cross between a come-along and a capstan winch..never saw one in the flesh, but on paper at least, it looked like an excellent idea for all sorts of game retrieval situations...

Last edited by Pete E; 12/08/12.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got a Warn in the back of my truck with pulleys up front to tow them into the bed

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/08/12.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use what you got wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I've got a Warn in the back of my truck with pulleys up front to tow them into the bed

A well set up winch sure makes life easy, but as Rock Chuck already mentioned, ramps are a must also..

It sounds like the winch in the video below was a little under powered!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, I made a ramp out of a extra piece of tree stand ladder by wiring a piece of plywood to it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any pics of your set up Spotshooter?

Always interested in how people set of their vehicles for this sort of thing..I have always used SUV type vehicles (where were/ are my every day drives also), so setting up an internal loading winch is a bit less straight forward..

In my old Isuzu Trooper, I managed to to fix ad DIY clamp-on "bracket" around the internal roll bar hidden under the roof lining..Once I put the liner back in place, all that showed was a slight bump and a gromit/hole I could screw a lifting eye into as required..

I did have an idea to mount a small ATV winch onto a removable plate that could clip into two seat belt receivers between the front seats, but in the end just stuck with a come-along and a section of ramp...

Last edited by Pete E; 12/09/12.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have AMSteel synthetic winch line on my ATV winch. For me it's all gain and no loss. The synthetic winch line isn't stiff, doesn't kink, won't gouge or cut you, and won't recoil (whip) if it breaks like steel cable. IIRC I paid $50 US + shipping for mine.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could have used any of your setups yesterday to load the wife's 500 lb Christmas tree.

1Minute
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Better to cut it up in one foot sections and glue it back together on site. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pete E

A well set up winch sure makes life easy, but as Rock Chuck already mentioned, ramps are a must also..

It sounds like the winch in the video below was a little under powered!

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first.

From my very limited experience, where possible, the gutting tends to get done back at camp or at a processing facility..

There are a number of reasons for this, but one is that the locals tend use far more of the offal that we normally throw away, including things like the stomach for tripes and also the intestines ect, along with usual things like the liver and heart ect..

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a picture of my winch rig for the back of my truck, I just throw it in and attach it to my D rings in the bed of my truck. I use the warn rear power lead on my back bumper to power it I also have a large portable winch on a plate for vehicles.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a shot of the pulleys so you can see how easy they are to clamp on and go. I forgot to throw the old section of ladder rack I put a board on for a ramp, but to tell you the truth, anymore I just lower the tailgate and lift up on the critters head / cable so it doesn't wear a groove in the bed of the truck

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
how about using a winch to skin it? thats going to be my next trick. i've used the truck to pull the hide off before but in the process almost ripped the last one in half. i think the winch will give me control.

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
With deer sized game with my ATV (Polaris 6x6) I lay a steel pipe on the gun rack, run the front mounted winch cable backwards over the top of the pipe and down the length of the dump/tilt bed, then to the game. winch in from the rear and shut the tail gate. Works really great.

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got a hoist I use in the workshop for skinning

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
849 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,216
Posts18,371,001
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.