Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Seen a few of these posts... so I thought I'd chime in.

Riding a clients horse Monday... finally able to get around a bit yesterday.

This horse is pert near dude like 99% of the time. Sweet guy, gentle likes to be rubbed and scratched like any dog would.

Took him for a spin Monday for the "routine" early trail experience. 30 min. warm up in the arena typical stuff lateral flexing, four quarters refresher, in frame outta frame, side passes, many large circles finishing in small tight circles into flat spins..crossing over and moving off.... blah blah... off we go to the pivot an then the trails...

got past a hay tarp that was a bit loose on top of the stacks. wind gust caught it and inside-out we went. Full on sprint to the end of the tractor barn and were greeted by a curious gelding who popped out over his pen to see what the noise was about.. slammed on the breaks and pivoted to the left in .002 seconds jammed into the stirrup went my right foot... off balance I go, 1/2 way down the right side and the pony lunges to race off the other way.. at this point I'm looking for a way out soon as I un-jam my boot....4 long strides later at a full out gallop I unjam the boot and bail...

I looks so much less painful in the movies when you hit, bounce and slide to a stop. Last thing I remember is being cow kicked in the gut on the way down... chili for lunch is so much less impressive the second time.

Visions of being a mow-board plow at 30 mph for a spell crossed my mind several times in the 5 seconds this all unfolded in...

I ain't an expert rider but I'm good enough and no matter how prepared you are, you're still counting on luck. I'm glad the luck fairy sprinkled me a bit this day.

Good bombproof ponies need whole lotta time and nothing but years can get them there... no matter how talented they are in the arena...

jus' a little reminder for you sweatin' leather tpyes. Seeing as I'm real lucky to even be typing this.

GB1

OOh,hate to hear that. Glad you're upright. Might be feeling it for a while though. I don't plan on riding any more young stock...ever again
Sold a nine year old mule with a lot of mountain experience to the Forrest Service last season with the stipulation that she pack only.
Best handled mule I've seen 99.5% of the time. But when you least expected it...BOOM. No cause that I could ever figure. Fortunately,both unplanned dismounts were in a flat area.
Take care and heal fast
K

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glad you came out okay..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anyone get video? smile

Glad you're OK.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you haven't been kicked, stepped on, bit, run over, or thrown off on your azz, you havn't been around horses very much...glad you are ok.....

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All's well that ends well. Rest up. Good to hear you made it out in one piece.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It hurts just to read the story.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How is your condition today? Did you find some more aches, pains and bruises? Hope none are serious and you get healed up quick!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ouch. Tough day I reckon.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn! Hope you feel better soon. Scary how fast it happens.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OK so...finally pain and inflamation meds free today!! woohooo.. still a bit stiff but back at it... (actually rode a bit 2 days ago...

Thanks for all the kind wishes..

Truth be told.. I know it's gonna happen again!

all in all i replayed it over and over again. ( I know we all do)..

I'm gonna chalk up 50% to me... I was way too off guard. I should a known better.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"If you haven't been kicked, stepped on, bit, run over, or thrown off on your azz, you havn't been around horses very much..."

Still have 3...wonder sometimes if i need a new bag o' marbles...

After 40, ya don't bounce like ya did at 20...

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yup I agree with GeorgS3. Being past 40 I too have lost my bounce. I am 42 I got bounced twice last Sunday so i know how you are feeling Cocadori. Glad to hear you are doing OK. Apparently you have the same attitude I do. pretty sure its going to happen again.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Glad your ok and getting better. Guess its all part of it.....just not a good part of it..lol

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
42, cripes, wait until you are almost 70. You just go splat. I try real hard not to do any of that stuff.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They need to know what WHOA means

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That's a fact!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This pony has a great whoa.. sit hard in the saddle and he's at a dead stop in a step. Trouble is he forgets that everything out there isn't trying to kill him. We've a ton of desensitization training but every now and again he just get a hair up his ass or an ass full of hair.. somethimes I forget which ;-).

Jus' one of them that'll need more miles than typical till he's over it... Took him to Helena this past weekend with another pony we were selling to a client there. Wife rode the sale pony and I swung an leg over this one... he did great...whew...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have had my mare spook and as soon as I get the word "whoa" out of my mouth she sticks her ass in the ground. They need to follow a verbal command of "whoa" in order avoid train wrecks IMHO. Those that will not do this on a consistent basis, need a new owner because I do not want to deal with them. A smart horse that enjoys people are more fun and a hell of a lot safer.

I have spent my life around horses and a fool is always a fool. ONe the disco necks at times is an accident looking for a place to happen. If my horse gets in a situation that is uncomfortable and starts to get uneasy I just say "easy" and the settle out and trust that I will not let them get into trouble. This is important IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree the word whoa needs to be followed .. too many over abuse it though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.