So as not to hijack the crooked stirrup thread, I want to start this one concerning the use of flat bottom stirrups vs others.

Since eary times,the saddle has been widely equipped with flat bottom stirrups with most of the major disciplines. English riding, racing, western ,etc.

You'd think since there has been so many improvemnets over saddle design that there would have been a likley progression of stirrup design. Although there are differnt types,as to heigth,width, tread, they all still basically adhere to the flat bottom with the exception of a few like the ox bow.

Walk into any reputable saddle shop and see what is usualy provided from mill run saddles. They are flat bottoms. Then go to a custom saddle maker and most are turned out with flat bottoms.
Observe people who make a living horse back and most are still using flat bottom.

In the arena, ditto

There are a lot of variations out there such as the one that turns the stirrup 90 degrees, the crooked stirrup,the break away stirrup( which I ride), or the english iron,but basically they are the same, ie flat bottomed.

The ox bow however is rounded and from what I have learned, is meant to be ridden with the foot jammed all the way into the stirrup up to the heel.I suppose this is from the idea that if you think you can ride the horse out, jam your foot all the way in,if not keep the foot out aways.

To me, on long rides, the flat bottom stirurp is just more comnfortable. I have tried several times to make the ox bow work for me,but have not been succesful.

So what do you think are the attributes of each and the why they are used?

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/19/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles