Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Is anyone shooting one of these? The money appears to be a tad more than the Kimber line, which would explain why I haven't seen one of them around here, but thought what with all the money lurking around on this board, somebody must be running one. I see they chamber it in .280, and from the pictures, it is a very attractive piece.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not compare a Kimber with a Cooper. It don't get any better than Cooper for American made rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooper's are somewhat more in cost, and far superior in accuracy, workmanship and value, than the Kimber.

The 52s are fairly heavy, which will discourage some, but are a great rifle for the money. In fact, I believe they are the best value for the money for any rifle.

Steve

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
sweet! pard has one in 7-08. he opted for the heavier contour with fluting... i watched him shooting a ragged hole. one after the other. this is in a wood stocked hunting rifle. i think the groups were in the one's IIRC.. maybe two's..

cooper could charge twice as much for the guns they make. really..

if yo can afford one buy it. you wont be sorry..

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 52 Jackson hunter, and like I have said before, its easily the most accurate gun I own. Its a tad heavy, but that dont bother me.

Last edited by Mod7Nut; 01/08/08.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooper repeater is no lightweight. I think they sound very appealing for varminting or anything off the bench. It's no Kimber Montana for light-carry hunting though.

WAR EAGLE!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You're right.

It's not a Kimber Montana, but it's not much heavier than a M70 Sporter either.

I don't think anybody can guarantee 1/2" groups from a rifle like the Kimber Montana. Not even Cooper. I've noticed NULA doesn't even at 2-3X the price of a Montana.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anecdotal at best, but there seems to be a lot of used Coopers on Gunbroker.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a m52 280rem and it shoots 0.5in for 5 shots easily with the swift scirroco an 130 gr speer boattail, and 140gr bt and also likes the partions as well, If one misses, it has to be the shooters fault, Most accurate outof box gun ever owned in a factory rifle

There are fools and damn fools, which one are you?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Really? I have been monitoring it continuously (I'm looking to buy a third one) and can only recall two that weren't NIB.

In fact if you want I can post links to all of the Cooper M52 auctions over the last several months. They are all still in my watch list.

I do believe the M52 is selling like hotcakes for Cooper though. Lots of people like me have been salivating over a Cooper repeater.

And I guess some turnover should be expected since their customer demographic is rifle looneys looking for the perfect rifle. Heck, I even sold one of mine already (new, unfired) because I decided I wanted a different caliber.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been eyeing them over as well, I think there an awesome rifle, I thought they were only about 7 1/2 pounds bare, am I missing something? That is the perfect weight IMHO.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch

Those are dealers. Cooper dealers sell a lot on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica since they tend to be small shops and Cooper doesn't really deal with the large stores or many dealers.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I think the Jackson Game, and Jackson Hunter models are probably 7-3/4 like their website says.

I also think maybe the Classic is a little lighter, but I haven't handled one.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
You're right.

It's not a Kimber Montana, but it's not much heavier than a M70 Sporter either.

I don't think anybody can guarantee 1/2" groups from a rifle like the Kimber Montana. Not even Cooper. I've noticed NULA doesn't even at 2-3X the price of a Montana.

Actually Cooper not only guarantees a 1/2", they ship every rifle with a test card proving it.

Never heard of Kimbers having a 1/2" guaranty. You have a link to that on their website?

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No. You misunderstood me.

What I meant was that any manufacturer making a really lightweight rifle (like the Montana) would have trouble putting a 1/2" guarantee on it. Even NULA at 2-3X the price of a Kimber Montana doesn't guarantee accuracy.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
No. You misunderstood me.

What I meant was that any manufacturer making a really lightweight rifle (like the Montana) would have trouble putting a 1/2" guarantee on it. Even NULA at 2-3X the price of a Kimber Montana doesn't guarantee accuracy.

I got ya. Read it different. I wasn't sure whether to be shocked or impressed that something that light could do that.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber of America better hope Cooper never produces a lightweight rifle.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
all those coopers you see are the reason you wait a year for your own. the big guys will order 50 or 100 for resale. you order one. easy math.....

i have pics of the three i listed but my card reader wont read them frown i also put the target for each with them. shot at 50 meters off a bench and rest (no fixed stuff) the hole in each target is just that. a hole. a round hole. there is NO grouping. it is a single hole smile and i cant get the friggin' pics up!!!!

buy one. really. if you think they are bit high now wait till someone buys cooper and doubles the price....

i would

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I would like to lay my grubby hands on one of them. Actually, two of them. I could do the rest of my shooting with a .223 and a .280. The poodle shooter could be a single shot for all I care, but I would want a repeater for the .280.

I did have a chance to handle a model 38 chambered in .22 Hornet yesterday, and the price was very good for a Cooper. I am twisting and turning, trying to figure a way to bring it home with me. (Just about to decide that I can live without a Stainless Tikka T3 Varmint in .22-250, as a partial....)

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got to handle a couple of 52's last week at Scheel's in Eau Claire, WI. Both were chambered in .25-06, and both were really nice. One had fancier wood than the other, but there was still only $100 difference between the two. Prices were $1600 and $1700, IRRC.

That's about what I paid to get my .280AI screwed together, so I don't think the Cooper 52 is a bad deal at all.....and the Cooper will hold it's value MUCH better than mine.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.