Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, the "Improved Cartridges" thread was enlightening. What are the disadvantages of X-bullets?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
BP-B6

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They over-penetrate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They make a 150gr .308-cal bullet penetrate like everyone else's 180gr or even 200gr .308-cal bullet. Of course, this "disadvantage" can be applied to all Barnes bullets from .22-cal to .458 and beyond, if they make 'em that big.

TTSX/TSX. The disadvantage of complete penetration. Grin

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They kill stuff DRT and end your season.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/03/11. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Price.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But they are well worth it. smirk

Last edited by prairie_goat; 05/02/11. Reason: rephrase
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using them almost exclusively for 24 years now, have not found problems or negatives now that they do not foul up barrels anymore and are accurate in about any rifle these days. Not so much on either point with the originals, but the TTSX's? Cannot think of a negative.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Okay, the "Improved Cartridges" thread was enlightening. What are the disadvantages of X-bullets?

Right now it is that they advertise a new Tipped TSX in .224 but havent put them out yet... frown

Otherwise...they overpenetrate and its hard to get a mushroom for those neat pics to post... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's always good to have a second tag just in case the one standing behind your primary goes down...damn them over penetrators anyway,wish they didn't work sooo well!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats no schitt Woody...Im only using centerfire .22s these days and you still have to be careful that no one is standing behind your target...ask ltpowell...

Course, he lines up feral pigs intentionally... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For me, finding the seating depth to give me accuracy that the bullets and my gun are capable of is harder than working up the load sometimes.

I have had four rifles give me fits over seating depth and one over copper fouling.

My 25-06 (700 Sendero) has almost 200 Barnes down the tube and I cannot bring it below an inch and a half. The gun shoots bug holes with about any load using VMax 75s.

The fouler was a Parker-Hale 30-06. Shot 150 grain Speer FBs into 3/4 inch. Three shots with a TTSX, four at the most and the guns as copper fouling so bad accuracy opened to 3-4 inches. The barrel looked clean so I UBCed it and the problem went away. The gun did not foul badly with guilding metal jackets and the bore looked fine, but I never put a bore scope in it. Of the ones picky about seating, two were capable of eight inch groups if the seating depth was .010 too much or too little (one .223, one .243) The others just took a lot of backing up and trying again.

If they were really cheap bullets, and easy to get plenty of them, those problems would not be so bothersome. But... When they run 60-80 cents each, and you might get lucky and find fifty of the ones you want on the shelf, it's a problem that needs to be addressed. When there are changes (small or not) in the bullets between lots, that problem is magnified in it's piss me off factor.

Otherwise, the only downside is the small light ones don't have very good BCs, but that's the nature of small light bullets. The copper just makes that a little more obvious.

These are the best bullets I have had to load with in more than 55 years. We are living the good old days of reloading right now!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dats no schitt Woody...Im only using centerfire .22s these days and you still have to be careful that no one is standing behind your target...ask ltpowell...

Course, he lines up feral pigs intentionally... grin

I aint ltpoweel but know what you mean too, the pig standing behind the first one did not even slow the bullet down. Too bad I couldn't get another pig to cooperate and stand behind them!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For me the downside is accuracy. A couple of rifles now I couldn't get the TSX to shoot no matter what. The rifles were accurate with other bullets so it's not the gun.

From what I've seen guns either love em or hate em.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've generally had excellent accuracy results with TSX bullets, in several different calibers.

In theory, it should be possible to make a monometallic bullet even more uniform than a cup and core or bonded bullet- less chance of variation in jacket thickness, etc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BCSteve
They over-penetrate.

Way.

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I've generally had excellent accuracy results with TSX bullets, in several different calibers.

In theory, it should be possible to make a monometallic bullet even more uniform than a cup and core or bonded bullet- less chance of variation in jacket thickness, etc.

Same here,I shoot 130gr TSX in my 264..140gr TTSX in my 280..85gr TSX in my 6mm and 243.. 55gr TTSX in the 220 Swift.All these guns are in the 20-25 yr old range and shoot very well with the Barnes label.Have turned on several friends to them and no problems either.Partitions and Speer have always been my favorites over the years and I still shoot them often but the X bullets have made a believer outta me several times in the last few hunting trips.Not going to criticize the cup and core following as I have been one for many moons but all I gotta say is,"Don't knock em if you haven't tried em"...and that means you Swampy !!!

Woody
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If any of ya'll got any 160 XLC's in .284 or 180 in .308 for sale let me know.. I'm coming to the end of these and will be forced to start using the Next Generation..
I'm sure when that day comes I'll be able to make a Painless Transition..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Core-less are, "the best in the world". Barnes bullets are a novelty. Ford Fiesta rules.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by badger
Core-less are, "the best in the world". Barnes bullets are a novelty. Ford Fiesta rules.

There ya have it folks, quote from the resident nutt shell!!! laugh

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Price.

Only one I see

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (160user, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.