Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5666586 09/29/11
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally got my EDGE for my Howa 1500.
You would assume it would be a drop in fit.
Action dropped in ok but when tightening the two action screws, the bolt wouldnt cock to fire - and I hadnt even tightened the screws that firmly.
My gunsmith said that maybe the action wasnt sitting properly in the stock. Mine does have the pillars installed.

Just want to know if anyone else has had to tweak their EDGE to make the bolt operate as it should.

Dont wish to send it back to McMillan as I am a bit far away!!

Gus

BP-B6

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Factory trigger?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My recent McMillan required a small bit of inletting before the Savage trigger worked properly.

Check the inletting around the trigger.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, it is the factory trigger.

nsaqam - you could be on the right path.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Gus

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gus,

If your stock is light coloured, hold a piece of aluminum foil above a candle to get it nice and sooty, then add a couple of drops of oil. Paint this on the action, then see what places in the stock are marked. I too would bet on the trigger group.

If your stock is black, borrow your wife's lipstick in some bright colour and mark the action with that to see where it is making contact.

Of course, if my New Zealand buddies are correct about you Australians, you will already have your own lipstick. wink

[Linked Image]

John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb
Gus,

If your stock is light coloured, hold a piece of aluminum foil above a candle to get it nice and sooty, then add a couple of drops of oil. Paint this on the action, then see what places in the stock are marked. I too would bet on the trigger group.

If your stock is black, borrow your wife's lipstick in some bright colour and mark the action with that to see where it is making contact.

Of course, if my New Zealand buddies are correct about you Australians, you will already have your own lipstick. wink

[Linked Image]

John

Thanks for that John,

Oh yes, the good ol sheep shagger Kiwis - its a love hate relationship. We fought along side them in the trenches, but we like taking the piss out of each other.

Rather wear lippey than be a sheep shagger!!!!

Gus.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had the same thing with a Mauser Edge. Inlet around the trigger and all was good.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Thanks for that John,

Oh yes, the good ol sheep shagger Kiwis - its a love hate relationship. We fought along side them in the trenches, but we like taking the piss out of each other.

Gus.

Yep, I know about the relationship between the Kiwis and you. smile I lived in both Canada and the USA and it was similar. Heck, within Canada we have the Newfies vs. everybody else!

I now live in Sweden, and we make fun of Norwegians. However, I have to acknowledge that they are very inventive.

Did you know that it was a Norwegian who invented the toilet seat? A great accomplishment indeed.

Of course, it took a Swede two years of intense research to perfect this important invention by adding a hole.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
crazy

laugh
g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb
Thanks for that John,

Gus.

Yep, I know about the relationship between the Kiwis and you. smile I lived in both Canada and the USA and it was similar. Heck, within Canada we have the Newfies vs. everybody else!

I now live in Sweden, and we make fun of Norwegians. However, I have to acknowledge that they are very inventive.

Did you know that it was a Norwegian who invented the toilet seat? A great accomplishment indeed.

Of course, it took a Swede two years of intense research to perfect this important invention by adding a hole.

John

ROTFLMAO!!!

Good one there john - a laugh on a fridat arvo at work never goes astray.

Gus

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading about the Kiwi's reminded me of a story my Uncle TeeDee told when stationed in the Pacific during WWII.

Seems the Americans and Kiwis were getting after each other with practical jokes or some such. My Uncle and his buddies went around and switched everyones false teeth from one glass to another. Lo and behold, an air raid siren went off and the Kiwis were next in line.

Communications were kind of garbled for a bit and he said most came back with teeth in hand hell bent on revenge. Took them awhile to sort out who wore what.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Karnis
Reading about the Kiwi's reminded me of a story my Uncle TeeDee told when stationed in the Pacific during WWII.

Seems the Americans and Kiwis were getting after each other with practical jokes or some such. My Uncle and his buddies went around and switched everyones false teeth from one glass to another. Lo and behold, an air raid siren went off and the Kiwis were next in line.

Communications were kind of garbled for a bit and he said most came back with teeth in hand hell bent on revenge. Took them awhile to sort out who wore what.

Good on your Uncle for sorting them out .....they are a funny bunch the Kiwi's. Thankfully the ditch seperates us from them !!!

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally got my EDGE for my Howa 1500.
You would assume it would be a drop in fit.
Action dropped in ok but when tightening the two action screws, the bolt wouldnt cock to fire - and I hadnt even tightened the screws that firmly.
My gunsmith said that maybe the action wasnt sitting properly in the stock. Mine does have the pillars installed.

Just want to know if anyone else has had to tweak their EDGE to make the bolt operate as it should.

Dont wish to send it back to McMillan as I am a bit far away!!

Gus

Sounds like it could be the trigger rubbing against the stock.
Does the bolt turn and move in/out?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an Edge on a Wby. Vanguard actioned rifle. I have installed a Timney trigger on it. Had the same problem you describe. Turns out that the problem was not enough clearance in the stock for the trigger mechanism. Had to Dremel out a couple of small cuts to accomodate it, took just a few minutes to do so.

The first cut was to allow the safety lever to move fully forward- the second was in the bridge area between the magazine cutout and stock.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Which stock did you order for the Vanguard?

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
330 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.