Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Going to be ordering a McMillan Remington Sporter stock in EDGE soon.
Throwing a Stiller Predator action into it, and adding a 24" barrel chambered for .280 Rem.

Only thing left....Which barrel contour? I'm thinking about going with a #3 contour Lilja. My only concern is that with the EDGE stock, if a #3 will make the rifle too barrel heavy.

I know some really like a barrel heavy rifle, but I seem to prefer one that balances in the middle.

So, can I still get good balance with the EDGE stock and #3 contour, or would a #2 contour balance better?

The Sporter configuration can also handle barrels up to #5 contour, and I'm wondering if a #2 will look a little funny in that larger forend?

Any input or pics would be welcomed.

SCHOOLCRAFT

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I personally would not put any barrel smaller than a #3 in a sporter and a #4 would look better as that stock will swallow a #2!
A mountain rifle with a #2 would be a better choice!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ackleyfan,

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really wanted the mountain rifle configuration from McMillan....BUT....they don't make it in a lefty version. The slimmer forend would probably look MUCH better with a #2 barrel.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
your going from one extreme to the other when comparing your current stock choice to the nula you had.
I would look at the classic,remington ks or the bdl style stock and I would only consider the bdl style in a left hand configuration because it has a smaller forearm than the right hand version.

gene

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks Gene. I'll check with McMillan about those.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Called McMillan and they suggested the Hunters Edge stock....also called the "compact" when not done in an EDGE fill.

Looks almost identicle to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock, just without a cheekpiece. Right OR left hand friendly.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm sure you know this but you can order your stock here from Rick.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
forgot about the hunters edge
I have a friend who has a remington action in a hunters edge with a #2 hart 25-06 I think it is about perfect

gene

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hunters Edge is definitely slim in the forearm. A #3 is about max and yes I have one with a #3. It is slightly nose heavy but just right for me.
Hill Country used to and maybe still does use quite a few Sporters with factory Sporter contours. Had one of those also and I like the pattern and it did not look odd. If you really think you like it go for it.
Remember a Classic can handle a 4 or 5 contour and guys use it all the time for smaller ones....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like others have said, the Sporter has a pretty beefy front end, I had one and had a #3 contour Shilen in it also finished at 24" and it balanced just fine but man it looked small in that stock. I ended up changing to a Classic Edge which IMHO is perfect. The KS would also be a great option if going ADL since they don't do a BDL.

I currently have a #3 Lilja in a Classic Edge finished at 23" - its fluted but the balance is about perfect, a little muzzle heavy which I like - not much but just enough.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Some if you seem to prefer the "classic" over the "sporter".
Looking at McMillans website, the look almost identicle. Both show to be able to handle up to a #5 contour.
Am I looking at the right stock? Also, the classic LOOKS like it has much more drop from centerline of bore. The Sporter looks like it has almost no drop, which i prefer.
Could just be the way it looks in the picture though.
Sounds like the Hunters Edge might be just about right, especially if if I wound up doing a #2 contour @ 24".
Anyone have any photos of these stocks and how they look with various barrel contours?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think you are right, the Classic probably does have more drop - and I never thought I would like the Classic but its become my favorite - more so even than the KS which is sort of like the Hunters Edge.

Anyway, here is a Classic Edge with a #3 Lilja @ 23" in the back, a #3 Brux @ 22 5/8" in the front.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 03/15/12.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On my 300WBY I went from a std Classic to a Hunters Edge and really like it.
In my unprofessional, limited knowledge I believe it delivers less recoil. This is due to having less drop and more front weight which both contribute to less muzzle rise.
This 300 goes exactly 7#12oz scoped and isn't bad to shoot.
Super accurate (Rich Reilly at HT Custom guns in CO)

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I think you are right, the Classic probably does have more drop - and I never thought I would like the Classic but its become my favorite - more so even than the KS which is sort of like the Hunters Edge.

Anyway, here is a Classic Edge with a #3 Lilja @ 23" in the back, a #3 Brux @ 22 5/8" in the front.

[Linked Image]

Those are some sharp looking rifles! Flutes on a #3 contour? All the folks I've talked to won't flute anything smaller than a #4

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Karl Feldkamp built the back rifle & did the flutes, front one he also did the flutes. I shot my best group ever with the back rifle so I'd have to say it didn't hurt it any:)

"Team 7MM-08"
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'd have to agree with ya!

A #3 fluted would be cool. Mr. Feldkamp is the only person I've heard of fluting anything smaller than a #4.

How can I get a hold of him?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I'd have to agree with ya!

A #3 fluted would be cool. Mr. Feldkamp is the only person I've heard of fluting anything smaller than a #4.

How can I get a hold of him?

Give him a call at 517-456-6388. He will answer the phone, always does - about as nice a guy as there is. He will usually have it back to you really fast also. Or check his website Kampfeld Customs.com

"Team 7MM-08"
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Putting a #3 in an EDGE would be a waste of $$. You would spend $100 for a lighter stock and add that much more weight back in steel. I also have a hard time putting another $125-150 in a barrel in flutes, thinking I am getting an accuracy increase (now if you like the look, that is another motivation.) Just go #2.

I would use a profile I have on file with Brux: sharp shank corner, quick taper, but then it carries the diameter further than most factory contours. About 0.55" at 24." Balances very nicely in an EDGE stock (but a M70 action)...

[Linked Image]

But now that I think about it, they may not make it in stainless.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by utah708
Putting a #3 in an EDGE would be a waste of $$. You would spend $100 for a lighter stock and add that much more weight back in steel. I also have a hard time putting another $125-150 in a barrel in flutes, thinking I am getting an accuracy increase (now if you like the look, that is another motivation.) Just go #2.

I would use a profile I have on file with Brux: sharp shank corner, quick taper, but then it carries the diameter further than most factory contours. About 0.55" at 24." Balances very nicely in an EDGE stock (but a M70 action)...

[Linked Image]

But now that I think about it, they may not make it in stainless.

Called Mr. Feldkamp. Really nice guy. The flutes really look sharp, but he said it would only save me about 2-3oz. off the weight of the #3 barrel.

My only hesitation with the #2 is there are so many smiths that seem to shy away from a barrel that skinny. I'm sure it out of concern for accuracy, and I understand that.

Last edited by schoolcraft; 03/15/12.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Everyone knows that heavier barrels are more forgiving. At some point you "gots to lay yo money down" and commit. Max accuracy?--go heavy. Want light?--then know that it will be more demanding to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.