Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I've got a Rem 673 in 6.5 Rem Mag. It's a great shooting gun, but all of the sudden it won't kick out the empty case. The cartridge chambers fine and fires normally. The bolt successfully pulls the spent case back, but doesn't throw it clear. The empty case simply lays above the magazine. Any suggestions?

GB1

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Upon further research, I think it is a bad ejector spring (or ejector plunger spring?) The ejector plunger is squishy and should be firm on the bolt face.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
squirt a little Kroil into the plunger hole. And pump the ejector up and down a few times.

Aim for the exit hole.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
First take the thing apart and clean it. But I too think it is likely a bad spring.

Squirting more chit(even Kroil) in a fouled hole is not the best solution...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like its ruined, send it to me and i'll scrap it out for ya whistle

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
you can easily disassemble a Remington bolt (assuming it is identical to the 700) by using your boot laces. Insert the bolt so hte face\lugs is snug between lace and tongue of boot, pull up (so the lugs catche on the laces) and twist handle counterclockwise. Repeat until it comes apart. Clean it (I suggest break cleaner, or replace the spring if needed, and put it back together. Easy.

I have used Kroil to lube plungers but have since thought nothing inside the bolt- is the best thing, but I am open to opinion.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/03/13.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Rcutchen
I've got a Rem 673 in 6.5 Rem Mag. It's a great shooting gun, but all of the sudden it won't kick out the empty case. The cartridge chambers fine and fires normally. The bolt successfully pulls the spent case back, but doesn't throw it clear. The empty case simply lays above the magazine. Any suggestions?

All them models did that. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey, squirting a little kroil down the ejector might flush out a bit of crud or lube the spring and cylinder. Not exactly rocket science. And if that doesn't help, you've lost maybe a couple of minutes.

Aim for the exit hole.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had that happen on a couple of my 700's. What happens is you can get a brass shaving or any tiny bit of debris in the ejector hole, and it jams. It needs to be cleaned out. If the spring were bad, and I had one in an M7, it shows up right away.
I like spray/lube stuff for that. Oil in the hole will attract crud. That can make it jam again. E

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Surprised dumb don hasn't showed up to expell his crf vomit....

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The same thing happed to me that happened to Eremicus. I used Kroil and it seemed to flush it out.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Swapping out a ejector spring ain't no big deal on a Remington, although it ain't as easy as a Savage. First get a new ejector pin, ejector spring, and a ejector retaining pin. Maybe buy a three of each, that way there is a couple to screw up and one left to make the repair.

Find a real 1/16" pin punch, not a old allen wrench or ice pick ground down, but a genuine pin punch. A starter punch helps too.

Then take an old fired cartridge and cut off the head about an inch above the rim. Of course an ejector compression tool makes this easier, but I'm too cheap to buy one. Then ......

Ah hell just take to a gunsmith, if I tell how to do it, you may smash your finger and sue. Next time buy a Savage that way you can do it easier, and in the field a whole new bolt head can be swapped in allowing the hunt to continue. If you try this on your Remington, be sure not to drop the bolt on a concrete floor, the bolt handle may break off. Here's how I do it on a Savage:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Wrangler-John/BoltHeadAssembly17.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Wrangler-John/BoltHeadAssembly15_zps875e9ce9.jpg[/img]

See how easy that was. Even a properly equipped moron like me can do it.

[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Wrangler-John/MoronLight_zps6be1310e.jpg[/img]

Next time buy a Savage.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting WJ, appreciate the photos.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
WranglerJohn: this is just what I've been looking for. Does the bolt need to be disassembled (unscrewed) or can I simply address the ejector with the whole bolt intact?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I followed the instructions above. The ejector channel and spring were gummed up like crazy. All better now. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rcutchen
WranglerJohn: this is just what I've been looking for. Does the bolt need to be disassembled (unscrewed) or can I simply address the ejector with the whole bolt intact?

There isn't any reason to disassemble the bolt, just clamp it down in a padded vise - mine is a old wood vise, then compress the old ejector, punch the old pin out - it will probably be removed from the deep set side to the shallow side, and vice versa for installation. You can watch the video at the bottom of this post and see how easy it is with the proper tools. The Remington pin is just a plain pin, and appears to be the same on my actions several decades apart, you will probably want to drive it out from the deep set end toward the shallow set end. The parts are here: http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Remington+700+Ejector+parts&ksubmit=y

That Savage pin is knurled on one end and it has to be driven out toward the pin hole with the flat milled to allow flush fitting. Savage pins are used once and replaced.

I use Remington specific tools: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...00-bolt-disassembly-tools-prod26670.aspx

and the more pertinent:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...gton-bolt-disassembly-tool-prod7650.aspx

Here's a video the shows how easy it is to remove the pin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAaUAaxpFiY

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 03/03/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.