Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been spending more money on optics lately. For years my typical rifle scope was $400-$500.The last couple years it seems I prefer the $700-$800 range.Now I'm considering my next scope purchase in the $1200-$1400 range,but that range has me considering a new rifle purchase instead. I don't "need" either a new rifle or a new scope. I was just wondering if you guys enjoy having more rifles or better glass.What's the typical price range of your scopes?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was to be able to say "I don't Need either a new rifle or scope" that money would be spent on a tag and a hunting trip...

That said, if I was to have to make the decision you are asking, I'd opt for the optics upgrade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd prefer a few excellent rifles and scopes over lots of cheaper ones. My scopes often cost 1-3x the value of the rifle, so that tells you how I budget my gun money wink

The exceptions are the SWFA SS's...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I spend way way more on optics

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no need to brag about how much I spend on either rifles or optics, but thanks for asking.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'd prefer a few excellent rifles and scopes over lots of cheaper ones. My scopes often cost 1-3x the value of the rifle, so that tells you how I budget my gun money wink

Same here, I have a bunch of them now and can't hardly beat the 6X SS.. Everytime I have bought another scope that wasn't one of them I almost wished I had, minus some low power fixed and variable's for woods type rifles.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
I have no need to brag about how much I spend on either rifles or optics, but thanks for asking.

I wasn't bragging,or asking anyone else too. Sorry I made you feel inferior enough to comment though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here, I have a bunch of them now and can't hardly beat the 6X SS.. Everytime I have bought another scope that wasn't one of them I almost wished I had, minus some low power fixed and variable's for woods type rifles.

I would agree that they are great optics for the price. Unfortunately I couldn't use one on the rifle I want to scope because of the high ejection angle and the large turrets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot results and results only. Jingle is but a small facet and oft moot in the decision(s).

It is funnier than fhuqk,what most folks "think" a "good" scope is/does and their Cluelessness in regards to POA/POI sanctity,is never not a fhuqking riot. Riflescopes are AIMING devices,NOT Observation devices and Boobs line up for blocks to obliviously drop that ball and quantify same. Case in point...Oldelkchunter is dumber than fhuqk,yet convinced she has a clue. Spin her in a circle and she'd be lost,give her a range and she'd botch the shot. Poor DUMB Kchunt wouldn't know twist from COAL either. Laughing!

Anywhoo,here's where I'm at and simply because I shoot daily. NOTHING matters more than rugged reliability,full stop,end of story. From there,it's all about tracking and zero retention. Nextly,it's the windshield. All else is moot.

Coming full circle,the 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker simply has no equal at ANY dollar amount. Nobody melds as much that matters,into a single parcel,as that platform. Nobody.

So yessss...you can sure as fhuqk spend less and get less. You can sure as fhuqk spend more and you will still get less. If that glass was $1000 a pop,they'd still be a fhuqking steal,given their inherent attributes. Why? They are amazingly reliable in both their rugged durability and uncanny tracking/repeats. Don't hurt that it's windshield will do more by itself,than most glass can muster all out. Hint.

I've long been amused by proffered ratios that denote the "correct" way to allocate funds,as expressed towards a platform's integrity/usefulness. That is simply a buncha fhuqking stupid schit,that pertains to nothing but Fantasy Fluff and zero in Reality. Hint.

The Teutonic Hubble Toters are RELIABLY the DUMBEST of Fhuqks. They've less than zero inkling of what a scope SHOULD do and fixate meaningless schit,that is mooter than moot. Doubly so the Texas Version of same,as they never don't not steal The Show. Hint. Laughing!

Personally,I spend most on boolits,powder,primers and barrels,because they are a consumable. Reliably robust glass will last and last and last...though I'm no talkin' about scratchin' Safe Queen Days offa calendar,but miles schlepped and rounds spent. Them differences are beyond stark. Have lotsa scopes that've shot out multiple barrels. Hint.

So while I've only 100's of scopes to reflect upon,I'm more than a wee bit "comfy" in the arrangement of Fixed Fhuqker MQ splendor,upon a platform that's actually gonna see use. I know..I know....I KNOW,there are legions of boobs who've "flaunted" Uncle Daddy's scope on a rifle more 30+ Seasons,all without "trouble" and believe me,nobody knows that bullschit to be funnier than I! EPIC fhuqking humor there. Mainly because Clueless Boobs have less than ZERO fhuqking inkling,though they'll go way outta their road to prove it. Same old schit,different day. Hint.

If I want a rifle,scope or whatever,I just simply procure it and weigh it in extrapolation to other wares already in hand. Never was any good at lingering,so I simply do not and I've seen me buy in bulk.(grin)

Hell...might even have a Alexander Arms 17HMR enroute after a phone call yesterday,which will of course get 'Horn rings and a 6x MQ. Tough to beat copious inclination,rock solid mounting,huge erector travel and 10 Mils on the windshield.

FACT is,you can't.

Will be poking together another 6BR too,as all parts arrived and it'll rate 'Horn rings and a 10x MQ,due it's mass(28" Bull...to be chopped to 21" or so) and it's Nichely Duties.

Hint.(grin)

As an aside,ejection angle/impetus is easily tuned/controlled and I doubt I've much more than 50 Fixed Fhuqkers to reflect upon and on a purty goodly smattering of differing mechanisms/platforms.

Threw an upper together the other day and had a 10x MOA/Mil layin' loose. Though a 6x MQ TRUMPS it,the 10x MOA/MIL crushes most everything else,by everyone else.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Comfy here too.

[Linked Image]

Happy here.

[Linked Image]

Same here.

[Linked Image]

And here.

[Linked Image]

And here.

[Linked Image]

If there was something better,I'd simply fhuqking use it.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my scopes are in the $160-$250 range. Bought a couple rifles in that price range as well. Most expensive scopes have been used Leupold 3.5-10xAO at $350 each.

For $500 and above it is a no brainer - I'll get another rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Personally,I spend most on boolits,powder,primers and barrels,because they are a consumable. Reliably robust glass will last and last and last...though I'm no talkin' about scratchin' Safe Queen Days offa calendar,but miles schlepped and rounds spent. Them differences are beyond stark. Have lotsa scopes that've shot out multiple barrels. Hint.

I'd agree 100%. When it comes to gun money, that right there is the truth. Or at least it ought to be.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been going with all Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 for the three rifles I will use. Like our .com friend posted, the other money goes for hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first scope was a $39 Bushnell Sportview 3-9x back in 1982.

Much as I grew to dislike that scope, it survived a fall that broke a couple ribs and lasted for over 20 years on my 7mm RM. Went onto two more rifles before I scrapped it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do what you want... it's your money and your life =]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mjduct

+1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mjduct

Yes sir,It's just something else to talk about with other guys who enjoy guns and optics.Your comment would pretty much fit every thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd agree 100%. When it comes to gun money, that right there is the truth. Or at least it ought to be.

This. Get a SS 6X MQ. Its really a no-brainer.

Then spend more $$ on "consumables."

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter

This. Get a SS 6X MQ. Its really a no-brainer.

Then spend more $$ on "consumables."

Turrets won't work on this rifle because of the steep ejection angle. A SWFA SS 3X9X42 was my first choice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What are 'Horn rings?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mdv1state
What are 'Horn rings?

That's code speak for Burris Signature XTR rings.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.