Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I want to shoot some water jugs in 98 degree temperatures. Is there any way to shorten up the time in between shots waiting for the barrel to cool?

Would there be any problem in using a ziploc bag filled with ice to rub along the barrel to cool it down between shots?

I just have not heard of anyone using this method.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
BP-B6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
you could do that without harming your rifle i do believe, or you can rub the barrel with rubbing alcohol and the evaporation will help speed up the cooling too.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A .22lr.

I've heard of some who while hunting prairie dogs have a contraption setup that runs water thru the barrel of one rifle to cool it off and use another in the interim.

Last edited by battue; 06/21/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know this method works, and so does throwing them in a creek.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would have won that bet..... grin

Damn, I've been hanging around this place way to long. I was waiting.

You're surely hard on you customs. Bet you didn't have the white gloves on that day!!!!

Last edited by battue; 06/21/10.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Steelhead, good to see you actually own a rifle that isn't all swirly and what not.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've thought about using about 10 feet of clear tubing and attaching a gallon milk jug full of ice water to one side, and an empty jug to the other. Then just put the empty jug on the ground and the full jug upside down on the shooting bench with the tube wrapped around the barrel. When all the water flows from one jug to the other, just put the empty one on the ground and the full one on the bench. One of these days I'm going to build something like this and let you all know how it works out smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen guys remove their bolts, stand the gun up and spray cans of compressed air that were kept in a cooler down the bbl.

I'd just shoot 2 and wait 8-10 minutes and shoot 2 more...

Killing milk jugs is an experience that should be savored.

JM.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just take a small cooler with ice cubes in it. I run 2-3 ice cubes up and down the barrel to cool it. Then give it a couple minutes for the temp to equalize throughout the barrel. Works fantastic when working up loads and have lots of loads lined up to shoot.

3-7-77
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by battue
A .22lr.

I've heard of some who while hunting prairie dogs have a contraption setup that runs water thru the barrel of one rifle to cool it off and use another in the interim.

Saw a guy at the range that did that last summer. He had a barrel holder attached to the hitch of his truck so he could stand them up straight and pour the cold water down the barrel.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by battue
A .22lr.

Battue - Isn't that what we do deer hunting here? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just turn the rifle upside down and rub an ice cube from the drink cooler up and down the barrel. Upside down (scope on the bottom) lets the water run down the barrel and not get under the stock. It melts the ice cube pretty fast but it definitely cools the barrel down quickly as well.

Been doing that in our 100+ degree summers for several years now and have never seen anything detrimental about it.

Your idea of keeping the ice in a plastic bag is probably even better.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yea Rooster, I have to take a week off before the season and all I do is load ammo for the 3 days in W.V. and 2 weeks of Pa.
It's brutal. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the contraption and it works well. I took an 8-10 ft. section of 3/8" ID clear hose, punched out a 2 liter pop bottle cap, epoxied the hose in and filled the bottle with cold water. I can run the hose into the chamber hold it tight and squeeze the bottle. A couple seconds of water passing through cools them FAST! I just bring two or three filled bottles and switch the hose to each one as I run out of water. I have the hose extended to the bottom so virtually all of the water is used in each bottle. I got the idea either from here or the castboolits site...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just place a wet (but not dripping) rag/towel over the barrel. Cools it off pretty fast.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take one of my wife's plant misters to the range with me and as the barrel heats up, I "mist" the barrell. The heat dries the water quickly and the barrel cools quickly.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see rusty chambers in some folks future.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I cant fathom intentionally putting water on my rifle...

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I cant fathom intentionally putting water on my rifle...

then you prolly cant fathom hunting in SE Alaska or the PNW.....just cause you put water on steel dont mean it will rust....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another trick is compressed air in a can from the office supply store to get everything dried out and ready for the next shot.

Works good if if you invert it, too, as it is really cold!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.