Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
This topic is discussed a lot on the archery sites and I understand how important it is to shoot your dominant eye with archery equipment. I have been shooting a bow (LH) for over 20 yrs.

I also understand that it is best if shooting a shotgun- to also shoot your dominant eye.

I would like an opinion as far as rifles go from some of you here (expert, or novice- no difference smile - all is appreciated)

I am strongly (R) handed and also equally (L) eye dominant. I shoot all of my bows - recurve -instinctive and compound with sights; - I shoot all left handed.

I am going to get back into hunting for deer with a rifle after a 16 year hiatus. For a new rifle I am planning on going with a bolt action. I only own one rifle right now- a Browning BAR 338 Win. that obviously can be shot either way. I used to shoot that rifle (LH). I have not hunted with that rifle for 16 years. I want to get a lighter rifle with a smaller caliber and also a bolt action.

I want opinions as to which type of rifle I should get-( RH or LH ?). As you are aware- there are a lot more choices for the RH bolt rifles.

Also which way should I shoot the rifle ( RH or LH); as I can shoot both ways. I realize with the RH rifle shooting RH, I should probably close my dominant (L) eye. ?? Also pros and cons of shooting with or opposite your dominant or non- dominate eye if it is not matched to your handedness.

Thanks for the input! I tried to look up in the search feature, and did not pull up much; although I am sure this topic as been discussed a lot.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with a lefty rifle if you are indeed left-eyed and shoot bows as a lefty. My young daughter is a lefty and is right-eyed, so all of her practice is done from the right shoulder. You can teach the hands but it is tough to teach the eye.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am the same way but learned to shoot right handed over the years (bow, pistol, rifle, and shotgun!). I have tried shooting shotguns lefty and I can do it, but i am much more comfortable shooting right handed. I shoot archery right handed also and always closed my left eye. Its almost instinctive that I do so after more than 20 years shooting righty.
I would say to stick with left handed shooting with a left hand bolt gun especially as it is what you are most comfortable with. Im not sure how you feel about Savage rifles, but they have quite a few left hand offerings.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two right handed daughters who are left eye dominant. One was able to close her left eye and shoot right handed without any problem.

The other daughter for some reason isn't able to close her left eye. She tried shooting left handed but she found it very awkward. Finally we place a small strip of Scotch tape on the centre of the left lens of her glasses. This way she can keep the left eye open while shooting right handed which is how she feels comfortable.

The type of gun to be used is, to me, a personal thing that can only be answered by the user.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd go with a lefty rifle if you are indeed left-eyed and shoot bows as a lefty.

this

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am right handed with a strong left eye dominantance. I shoot right handed bolt rifles from the left side. Not a problem.Rick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are going to use a scope on a bolt action rifle, it won't really matter- the eye looking through the scope will become the dominate eye. If you are going to shoot the rifle with open sights, it is just like a bow or shotgun, you will need a left handed rifle to shoot your best. BTW, Dave Cousins is left eye dominate if I remember correctly, but shoots right handed and does a fair job of it!

L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the responses so far.

I do not have a strong preference for whether I shoot the rifle (LH) or (RH) as I have not really shot a rifle at all for over 15 years. I only shoot my bows (LH) because that is my dominant eye.

I will be using a bolt action with a scope.

So, I guess my choices are either buy a (LH) rifle and shoot my dominant eye, or buy a (RH) bolt rifle and either shoot it (RH) -or use the (RH) rifle and shoot it from the opposite side.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife is strongly right handed but very left eye dominant and when I first gave her a rifle to shoot she tried to shoot right handed but trying to aim with her left eye. Needless to say it was very awkward looking! So she learned to shoot left handed.

It may depend on how just strongly the dominance is expressed in you eyes. Now when I go to teach a new shooter the first thing I determine is what is their dominant eye. I agree with JPRO as you can teach hands more easily than you can train the eye.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CKW
My wife is strongly right handed but very left eye dominant and when I first gave her a rifle to shoot she tried to shoot right handed but trying to aim with her left eye. Needless to say it was very awkward looking! So she learned to shoot left handed.

Same here. And she shoots very good. Shooting left handed, and working the bolt with her right hand, is a breeze for her. I asked her if she wanted me to build a left side bolt, and she said no. She likes it just the way it is.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you can it is best to shoot with both eyes open to enhance perephial vision.

I find (that with a conventially mounted scope)I can shoot with both eyes open if I can get at least 4" of eye relief in the scope.

By the way, I'm cross dominant, strong left eye, right handed.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
right handed rifle with a scope. If needed, put a patch over the left eye and practice, practice, practice. Soon, closing the left eye and aligning the right eye on the scope will become second nature.

Aim for the exit hole.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
http://www.mpistocks.com/righthandlefteye.htm

This is an option that worked for a buddy of mines father after loosing his right eye. He never could get the hang of shooting left handed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
IMO, you should not struggle with it. Make it easy on yourself, go left hand shooting, left hand bolt. I may be lucky, but i can shoot from ether side (handgun rifle or shotgun), but the strong eye and side is right, so that is easier. You can teach the side, but my understanding is that the dominant eye is fixed. Best wishes, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a cousin that's left eye dominant but right handed, he shoots everything, guns & bows left handed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm ambidextrous and right eye dominant. I shoot bows right handed, rifles and handguns left. I've never had a problem. De-focus the non-sighting eye and shoot. I never worried about it and never had a problem.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am right handed and left eye dominant, I have shot scoped rifles for my whole life right handed with no issues, I shoot a pistol in my right hand but aim with My left eye again with no issues.......Good luck........Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it all depends on the degree of dominance the hand and the eye have. for me the hand won, and i shoot right handed most of the time.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't think everyone has the same degree of dominance in their eye(s), so some may be able to train to shoot with either eye, while others may find it very difficult.

L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the responses

I think I could shoot either way with a scoped bolt action, as I am pretty strongly geared toward my R hand. I know that I am also strongly L eye dominant also, but with a scope that could be nullified some what.

All of the rifle shops around here seem to carry only (RH) in stock and I would have to order the (LH) ones in. I could just order one of each and then just pick which one is more comfortable- but $$ wise that would probably not be the best way to go.

To bad I could not order one of each from Cabelas and then take them out to the range and return the one that I do not want. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.