Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The ol' bean seems to be allowing me to shoot once a week (not twice!) so that's what I've been doing. Conditions were good yesterday... meaning I'm caught up on shop work, and the athlete kid was off at a track meet and wasn't needing shuttle service after school... grin... and oh yeah, it was reasonably calm out and only raining
a little. So off I went to my 500-yd spot.

This spot has a plate at 450 yds that is relatively easy to get to for maintainance (repainting, rehanging, replacing) and I'm still working my way back to form so I've been focusing on it lately. I have a 600-yd plate that's been compromised by logging that I need to go retrieve and set up in a different spot... 600 yds is my real goal in hunting rifles. For this Imaginer 600 yds is a challenge in a hunting context- meaning first-shot hits almost always. 450-500 is pretty much in the bag as far as just hitting a vitals-sized plate.

Anyway, yesterday was fun and my 7 WSM, 7-08, and '06 were making the plate go "whop!" with brutal regularity. I drove over and repainted it a couple times so I could track group size. With cold barrels I was right around 3/4 MOA or better... which certainly doesn't suck, but my goal is to regularly print half MOA at those ranges so... it ain't enough to just PYCOTC, sometimes you gotta pry HARDER! grin

If anyone around here (Eugene area) wants to PYCOTC and whack steel, let me know, I've got several spots set up out to 800 yds or so, and I go up all the time. You get to Elmira, I'll drive from there... This 500-yd spot is great for gaining (or regaining in my case) confidence and skill at mid-ranges; it's got fun stuff to shoot at from around 250, to 500 yds. In my experience it's around 600 yds that chit gets squirrely fast... at least for me & my hunting-weight rifles. That makes it interesting-- and the next goal-- but sometimes it's just nice to hear the steel plate complain.

Crown Royal bag full of lentils is THE cool rear bag... lol...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good. That second pic looks like A-Max splatters...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My rear bag is a suede draw-string sack I got in a shwag bag at a golf tourney, filled with socks 'n' beanz laugh Makeshift rear bags are the bees knees!

Good to hear you can shoot the big guns again...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I filled an unmatched sock from my dresser with air-soft BB's, and sewed up the end. Works great.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks fun! Tough to do here on the wrong side of the country.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
I know what you mean. No opportunity to shoot that far for me. I do wonder at the apparent difficulty of shooting at something from what amounts to as close to benchrest stabilty as you can get, at known distances with equipment that makes it all as easy as possible {rangefinders/scope turrets} and calling it marksmanship ? Seems like heavy reliance on modern technology as a substitute for old fashioned hunting/stalking and marksmanship skills to me. I mean gosh, we used to kill woodchucks at 300-400 yds. with .22-250's firing old fashioned "low BC" bullets from a sitting position off homemade shooting sticks with no rangefinder or "turret twisting" and we hit the damned things pretty damned regular by guess and by golly. Maybe I'm all wet but I'm kinda underwhelmed by tales of hitting 6" targets at 500 yards from a sandbagged, prone position with the best of rifles/rests/scopes/high BC bullets. YAAAAWWWWN !! Now stand on your hind legs and vaporize a row of apples from 75 yards offhand bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, without missing a beat and I'll start paying attention. Now you're talking something I can relate to as a valuable skill where I come from !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff is that your hand or is a Yeti holding the ruler for you?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Blackheart are you a full time debbie downer or is it just a hobby for you?

Long range shooting is fun, different and challenging. So is offhand shooting of any and all kinds. Just because Jeff-Os shooting styles arent "impressive" by your standards doesnt give you the right to come in and toot your horn.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by prm
I know what you mean. No opportunity to shoot that far for me. I do wonder at the apparent difficulty of shooting at something from what amounts to as close to benchrest stabilty as you can get, at known distances with equipment that makes it all as easy as possible {rangefinders/scope turrets} and calling it marksmanship ? Seems like heavy reliance on modern technology as a substitute for old fashioned hunting/stalking and marksmanship skills to me. I mean gosh, we used to kill woodchucks at 300-400 yds. with .22-250's firing old fashioned "low BC" bullets from a sitting position off homemade shooting sticks with no rangefinder or "turret twisting" and we hit the damned things pretty damned regular by guess and by golly. Maybe I'm all wet but I'm kinda underwhelmed by tales of hitting 6" targets at 500 yards from a sandbagged, prone position with the best of rifles/rests/scopes/high BC bullets. YAAAAWWWWN !! Now stand on your hind legs and vaporize a row of apples from 75 yards offhand bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, without missing a beat and I'll start paying attention. Now you're talking something I can relate to as a valuable skill where I come from !
After that did you guys hop in your Model Ts and go watch Babe Ruth play?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Thinking the same thing.

And we call them "Sasquatch". smile

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm

I suggest you try a slingshot or if you want to evolve a stick and string.
Why are you even shooting modern smokeless powder? That's not hard.
You better not be using a scope.
Cheers

Have Dog

Will Travel

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by prm

How did you measure those 300 and 400 yard shots?

I found that most guys that used to make those 300-400 yard shots were really shooting about 150-175 yards and thought they were doing something.

I have yet to take someone to my 600 yard range and the first words out of their mouth not be "[bleep] that is a long way". Most will not even shoot for groups beyond a 100 because they know they can't do it.

Dink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Thinking the same thing.

And we call them "Sasquatch". smile

Yes we do.... grin. Good to see you out shooting again Jeff...Looks like you're nailing them too.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by prm

How did you measure those 300 and 400 yard shots?

I found that most guys that used to make those 300-400 yard shots were really shooting about 150-175 yards and thought they were doing something.

I have yet to take someone to my 600 yard range and the first words out of their mouth not be "[bleep] that is a long way". Most will not even shoot for groups beyond a 100 because they know they can't do it.

Dink
Well, you're full-o-shchit in my case bud. We shot those distances by paces along level ground in those days. My paces measured 110 per 100 yards repeatedly on a football field so I trust them pretty well. Shots of 150 - 200 yds. are the territory of .22 WMR and 5 mm Remington mag in my world. I did that over and over hundreds of times {257 paces was my best one shot kill with the 5mm on a chuck}. Even stretched the .22 LR to 150 paces many times and shot one crow off a fence post at 220 paces with a Ruger MK I 22 LR target pistol. Pardon me if I ain't overly impressed with many of the hero accomplishments spoken of here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Blackheart are you a full time debbie downer or is it just a hobby for you?

Long range shooting is fun, different and challenging. So is offhand shooting of any and all kinds. Just because Jeff-Os shooting styles arent "impressive" by your standards doesnt give you the right to come in and toot your horn.

I was thinking the same thing.....I'll agree though that it takes quite a bit of talent and skill to shoot good groups offhand at any range.....I love shooting long range and do take critters that way when the opportunity arises. The unit I put in for last year was a known long range shooting opportunity tag (as I call it)....Many different types of hunting, but shooting for fun and practice can be from any range in any position....as far as I'm concerned...I wish I lived closer to Jeff: I'd be all over those 600 yard plates as often as I could..... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by prm

I suggest you try a slingshot or if you want to evolve a stick and string.
Why are you even shooting modern smokeless powder? That's not hard.
You better not be using a scope.
Cheers
As a matter of fact, two of the four deer I killed last season were done in with an iron sighted T/C Hawken shooting patched RB's over 75 gr's of Goex FFFG.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You killed Jimmy Hoffa and invented compound interest too right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whats next, a zipper pull down contest ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
About 95% of my practice is done offhand because that;s what is important to my styyle of hunting in my terrain. I have a 2.5" diameter steel spinner 65 yards from my back deck that I practice on constantly offhand. I maintain the ability to hit that spinner 9 out of ten shots offhand religiously. My best on that target in recent years is 78 straight hits without a miss.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Whats next, a zipper pull down contest ?
I can't help it if most of you [bleep] can't shoot today. Leave your crutches {benchrests/rangefinders/turrets/ treestand shooting rails} behind and practice and maybe you won't be so goddam pathetic. KEEEERIST, I see thousands of target pics posted here showing tiny little groups fired off a bench. That shows what your rifles can do but damn [bleep]' little about what the rifleman can do.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 47 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.