Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
How would you rate the following bolt actions (as they're being produced today) for quality:

Browning X-bolt, Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, Ruger 77, Sako Tika T3, Cz 550.

Quality meaning: fit, finish, accuracy, good design features.

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm still very inexperienced but have shot a new model 70 and tikka t3 and the tikka was very smooth out the box and accurate, it was actually my choice if I were to buy a new rifle in my price range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fit/Finish - X-Bolt
Accuracy - Tikka
Design Features - Ruger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CZ. old world craftsmanship

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've had/have a few of those you listed...

I don't know much about the sako but if I were buying one of the above rifles today I'd be inclined to spend my money on a cz527/550 or a ruger 77.

If 500$ were my budget though Id defiantly drop it on a tikka. Mine drove tacks and carried quite nicely

IC B2

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All my Brownings have been fitted and finished extremely well. Whether a person likes their finish or not, Browning does a very good job of what they do. They have all shot well, too, though I did have a tough time with fouling/cleaning in one from some years ago.

My CZ was gorgeous. Unfortunately, it was not fitted that well and I had to do a lot of messing around with it to get the magazine well metal to stop torquing the receiver when the assembly was secured in the stock. This interfered with accuracy significantly unless/until I got it to go together correctly and not mess itself up. That gun also had among the worst-feeling bolt operations I've ever encountered anywhere, at any time. I worked the snot out of it on many occasions, but it just stayed rough/jerky/catch-y.

My Rugers have all been super-easy to clean, very good to excellent shooters, and armored-tank-strong/durable. Working the bolt whilst watching a comedy show or something has smoothed them up well for me. They're not always fitted to their stocks as well as the Brownings I've had, and I DON'T like wing safeties, but they have worked well for me.

Sako/Tikka: I'm sure the Finns do a good job, or mean to do a good job, or whatever. I just have no interest in dealing with/through Beretta.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Do some searches on M77s and you'll find many people complaining about inaccuracy. This was my own experience with one recently purchased.

Haven't touched an X-bolt, but my two A-bolts had the most silky smooth bolt movement I've ever encountered.

Looked at CZs in the gun shop and the fit and finish weren't as good as some others.

Remington 700s are down in fit and finish, but the new trigger on the 700 I do own easily adjusted down to below 3 pounds, and is exceptionally crisp.

Haven't seen a new 70, but mine from the mid '90s was very nice. But I don't like the bolt wobble when it is open.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of my Tikka. Accuracy wise it cant be beat, depends if you like a detachable magazine, want to feed directly into the magazine, or want a non plastic rifle. I've taken hogs, deer, and elk with mine. Have a few of the older Sako rifle's. Fit and finish on the Sako is excellent as is accuracy. No plastic there. I myself am in the market for a Winchester or Kimber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Browning X-bolt #7
Winchester Model 70 #2
Remington 700 #1
Ruger 77 #5
Sako #3
Tika T3 #4
Cz 550. #6

Quality meaning: fit, finish, accuracy, good design features.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Fondled a new production M77 and M70 side-by-side. The action on the M70 soooooo much smooooother it's not funny. My personal experience on the M77s is the actions just don't "slick up" after use. Haven't shot my new M70 .30-06 (South Carolina, not New Haven) yet, so I can't comment on accuracy.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For me, looks are really secondary or maybe even tertiary. Accuracy is where it begins and ends. Attached to accuracy are trigger (BIG part) and the floated barrel. The way it fits me at the shoulder is another big part of the whole package.

I have a Browning A-bolt that is extremely accurate and fits me well. Love it.

I have a Ruger #1 that is very accurate and fits me well. Love it.

I have a Tikka T3 that is very accurate and fits me well. Didn't think I could ever warm up to the tupperware. Love it.

I have a couple older Tikka (M65) that fit me and my wife well, and are very accurate. We love them.

I gave a M70 Winchester to my son-in-law, and it looks good, fits him well, is pretty accurate, and he loves it. I could get used to it as well.

I have never touched my rifles other than clean them and re-assemble them from NIB. Must be a lucky cuss, cause they all are extremely accurate - out of the box.

The questions I ask myself on a new rifle purchase are:

1. Does it fit me?
2. Does the trigger break like glass?
3. Can I slip a $5 bill down to the action in the barrel channel?
4. Can I afford it? laugh
5. Do I nned it? blush

Last edited by the_shootist; 01/02/13.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The questions I ask myself on a new rifle purchase are:

1. Does it fit me?
2. Does the trigger break like glass?
3. Can I slip a $5 bill down to the action in the barrel channel?
4. Can I afford it? laugh
5. Do I nned it? blush

No, no, no. You must use a $100 for this test!!! smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had 2 x-bolts in 7-08, the fit and finish on the brownings are second to none. They both shoot well within moa. If I was in the market for another new one today thats what it would be.. The only newer remington I have is a model 7, it is ok and shoots ok but the x-bolt is a nicer gun by far.
cant comment on the others as all I have dealt with is older ones.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How about Savage 110/10, Ruger American, Marlin X7, etc.?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I were buying new today I'd look at Winchester 1st, or Kimber if I really wanted the lightest rifle. I might consider an older Remington, but nothing currently in production interests me. Not a comment on recent quality. I just don't like any of the current offerings.

The Tikka I owned was accurate, but no more so than my Kimber or Wincesters. It was however inexpensive and a lot of gun for the money.

I respect Ruger for building probably the toughest, no nonsense gun out there. Accuracy has been spotty on some, but most are plenty good enough. For just a little more money, I still prefer the Winchester which is a very similar design.

No experience with Browning or CZ centerfire rifles. The CZ 22 I own is a little crude, but shoots well.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to believe anyone that is serious rifle looney would consider a newer Browning. I'd consider one made in Belgium.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am kicking myself for the Remington 700 I bought in May of 2012. It is by far the worst Remington I own, so with the new rifles, I would rate them as follows.

Browning X-bolt #3 - Tie
Winchester Model 70 #2 -Tie
Remington 700 #6
Ruger 77 #4
Sako #1
Tika T3 #3-Tie
Cz 550. #5

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Browning X-Bolt, Remington 700, Ruger M77 and a CZ 550 American. I like each one of my rifles for different reasons and would have a hard time rating them for quality because, 1) fit and finish doesn't necessarily make a gun shoot more accurately or shoulder more comfortably. 2) A smooth action doesn't extract a spent case any better than a harsher feeling action. 3) While a lightweight rifle might be easier to carry, it may not be easier to shoot accurately. 4) In my case, my rifle with the lightest trigger doesn't necessarily produce the most accurate results at the range, and I'm more than comfortable in hunting with my rifle that has the worst trigger of the bunch. I like all my rifles and will keep them as long as they serve my needs; if not, they're gone.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Savage #1

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I would consider a Savage Model 14 American Classic in 250 Savage

If I could justify buying another rifle I don't really need. My 6.5 Swede fills that gap nicely. But ya never know . . . . wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.