Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
So, as I am across the Pacific, with some money to burn, some guns and plans are coming together. I have some questions about a dog calling gun I am putting together. First, I was wondering what you all had for a calling scope, as far as brand, recticle, magnification and objective.

Next, I am looking at a mag rimfire, and have decided on a 22mag, but I am trying to find out how important a follow up shot has been to you. Not questioning aim, but how often have you needed a second shot, which would be much easier to accomplish with a semi than a bolt.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dust
So, as I am across the Pacific, with some money to burn, some guns and plans are coming together. I have some questions about a dog calling gun I am putting together. First, I was wondering what you all had for a calling scope, as far as brand, recticle, magnification and objective.

My calling scopes all are either 2-7 or 3-9 and have 40mm objectives. The low end is good enough for chargers and the top end is good enough for shooting through eye sockets if need be. I want something good in low light that is very clear and repeatable. More important it must keep zero through all the walking, truck riding, and bumping that comes with calling.

I prefer a plain duplex reticle as I don't want anything busy. I want my eye to come right to my aiming point every time and not get distracted by a busy reticle. For me, this scope means the VXII 2-7x33 or the 3-9x40 by Leupold on my bolt guns. On my AR rigs, both are topped with a Leupold VXII 3-9x50 for some added FOV.

Next, I am looking at a mag rimfire, and have decided on a 22mag, but I am trying to find out how important a follow up shot has been to you. Not questioning aim, but how often have you needed a second shot, which would be much easier to accomplish with a semi than a bolt.

Good choice on the 22 mag. The HMR obsessers will take issue with me saying the mag does a better job to 100 yards but it does, especially with larger critters such as fox and cats. Neither are reliable on coyotes unless you earhole them which is not a likely situation when calling not is it a reliable cartridge evaluator.

With all rimfires, a second shot is likely even with perfect aim. Predators do not die easily. I'd recommend a centerfire for coyotes and cats but we do fur hunt fox with a mag. Be prepared for runners with perfect shot placement.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The calling rifle will be a 223, but for the rimfire only stuff, I am looking at the Rem. 597, Marlin 25M, or the Sako Quad in WMR. Still don't know what to do.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run 3x9 Luepolds on my calling rimfires. My Center fires have 4.5x14 Luepold. They work great at night. I have tried 6x and it is too much. As far as follow up shots, from time to time we get a kicker trying to get into the brush. More often we get doubles that alot of time will look back that one LAST time. We only get to see the occasional coyote mostly Red and grey foxes in fields. I have a 3x9 Nikon Pro-staff it is as good if not better as far as brightness and light gathering than my Leupolds.
Do not over look the CZ for a rimfire. That are scary accurate right out of the box. Mine has sweet wood. Scope mounting issues with them are overcome with Talley rings. Salty but worth it. Looks real clean and the bolt does not hit.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an AR with a 1.5-5x20 and one wearing a 3.5-10x40, they both work very well. My bolt guns wear 3.5-10x40's. All Leupolds of course.

The 22Mag has killed alot of coyotes and I prefer it over the hummer. You will occasionaly need a follow up shot regardless of caliber used.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Calling scopes need a low end magnification. The whole point is to call them close and most shots at called coyotes are sub-100 yards. Many of those shots will be at quick movers through cover so field of view beats out over magnification.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Been looking at a 2-7 quickshot from Mueller. It has IR and a circle and dot for a crosshair

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR.html

got a good review when I asked at Predatormasters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.