-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
hey y'all, me and my fiancee and MudBogger from this forum took a venture into the wilds today to put the hurt on few diggers.

i must be the first to admit that if it wasnt for Bogger's ruthlessly efficient spotting skills, i would never have seen many. i spotted around 5 on my own, and shot most of them.

my 22 wasnt all i thought it would be, and now i feel i must build my ruger 10/22 to be what i want before next season.

my fiancee Meghan also got her first kill today. it was a pretty spectacular impact, and i only later realized what she had done when the squirrel didnt come back up from the grass.

we had some misses and some blown opportunities, but it was pretty fun all together. i must thank Bogger for his kindness in showing me and Meghan a good time today. Thanks Steve, i had a blast, and Meghan did too despite her showing.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
First kills? It's almost August! grin

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
this was just the first time i have been able to go with anyone.

i have had "plans" with many people, but they always seem to fall through. the plans, not so much the people. sometimes its them, and sometimes its me.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You were startin to kinda decently spot them towards the end. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was surprised to find a few out and about last Sat evening, Plugged a few with the the 222. Fun,, fun, fun!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mark...what kinda .222 you shootin'?
Ive just recently become enamored with the cartridge after buying my wife one, and using hers...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lucked into a beautiful Sako Riihimaki with what looks to be an Al Biesen gorgeous Walnut stock i.e terrific figure, neidner style grip cap and checered buttplate, 22lpi Wraparound checkering, shadowline cheekpiece etc. and a custom newer barrel of unknown make at a small gunshop in Hood River Oregon a few years ago. When the shop owner told me only $700.00 to buy it I nearly re=tore my rotator cuff reaching for my checkbook! Moutned a Loopy 4.5-14x40 Gloss fine reticle scope on it an loaded some moly'ed 50gr TNT's with a case full of old surplus AA2200 powder that I still have about 12 lbs of and the darned thing makes cloverleafs at 100 yards every time I take it out! Stays in zero from year to year to year..... It is my walking varminter and easliy one of my favorite rifles of all time. Better git you one while you can! The article on the 222 in the new Barnes Manual is written by me and has a photo of my Daughter shooting another Sako 222 of mine, a Heavy bbled Sako L461 in the photo. Yeah, I like the cartridge a little smile

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Riihimaki!.....YOU SUCK! laugh
Seen a couple of those...what a sweetheart. smile
Mine is a bit more mundane...my wife shot a Rem 722 in .257 Bob all her life, and I stumbled across a 722 in .222, so I bought it for her. It shoots EXACTLY like its supposed to! A real pleasure.....
And BTW, we have something else in common...
Check the Barnes #4 manual under .300 H&H...
And the #3 Manual under 7x57... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You can put me down for another 222 fan, I picked up a nice used Cooper Classic, at a very reasonable price, about a year and one-half ago and it is by far my most used walking varminter.

I had forgotten how shooter friendly, and accurate the 222 is. I do not feel at a disadvantage whatever when I have it in my hands. With that being said, I wish it had a magazine but I have gotten around that by using a cartridge holder that straps around the forearm.barrel and places the cartridges just in front of the loading port - I am always surprised how quickly I can grab a cartridge from it and get off a second shot, particuarily when it is a running coyote.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Riihimaki .222, heavy bbl. all original. I love it. It spent a lot of time in Alaska killing seals when that was legal. I have a chance to get a L461, .222, standard bbl. for $750. Sure is tempting.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way, ground squirreling is about done here, went out last friday morning and didn't see one single squirrel but did miss one badger and get two more.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
'bout done here too, unless you can get right on a first cutting...
Really wet spring/summer, grass is azzhole deep to a tall giraffe...
Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Riihimaki!.....YOU SUCK! laugh
Seen a couple of those...what a sweetheart. smile
Mine is a bit more mundane...my wife shot a Rem 722 in .257 Bob all her life, and I stumbled across a 722 in .222, so I bought it for her. It shoots EXACTLY like its supposed to! A real pleasure.....
And BTW, we have something else in common...
Check the Barnes #4 manual under .300 H&H...
And the #3 Manual under 7x57... wink
Ingwe

INgwe, do you realize that you have told me I suck TWICE.... in one week?!?!? smile

Someday I will learn to psot pictures and shoow off my riihimaki AND my pretty wife!

Nice articles. Sounds like we are among the brotherhood of the old and moldy cartridges. I will venture a guess that you do not own any WSSM or RUAM's

Say....... we ain't hijacking another thead aagain, are we?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by safariman

INgwe, do you realize that you have told me I suck TWICE.... in one week?!?!? smile

Someday I will learn to psot pictures and shoow off my riihimaki AND my pretty wife!

Nice articles. Sounds like we are among the brotherhood of the old and moldy cartridges. I will venture a guess that you do not own any WSSM or RUAM's

Say....... we ain't hijacking another thead aagain, are we?

Am glad you realize its my highest compliment, and utmost sign of envy! grin
If you post pics of the Riihimaki and your lovely bride, please do it next week...I'd hate to tell you "You Suck" three times in one week.... wink
We are among the oldy moldy brotherhood...when I was doing a LOT of hunting the battery for the world consisted of 7x57, .300 H&H and .375 H&H....I like the classics... none of them EVER dissapointed...
Yep, no WSMs or RAUMs......
just proven performers with a touch of class and a touch of nostalgia...
Ingwe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

79 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.