Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I need advice on what type of electronic call to buy for coyotes and fox. My farm is over run with them and they are really hitting the deer and turkey this spring?
Thanks
Phil

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Foxpro, they have several different models and they are good. There other brands but Foxpro is the most popular. Just google Foxpro.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
yip, Fox Pro is the way to go these days. BUT if you're really serious about wanting to thin the predators down enough to make a difference, find someone that traps and let them get to work because the fact of the matter is that a weekend warrior with the best of calling ability just won't kill enough coyotes to make a difference in the numbers.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRnCO
yip, Fox Pro is the way to go these days. BUT if you're really serious about wanting to thin the predators down enough to make a difference, find someone that traps and let them get to work because the fact of the matter is that a weekend warrior with the best of calling ability just won't kill enough coyotes to make a difference in the numbers.

+1

Not to knock anybody for trying with e-calls and rifles, but TR is exactly right in that traps are working when the rest of us are sleeping, at work, etc...

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a FoxPro Spitfire, their least expensive model with a remote control. I find it's adequate but I hunt in the heavily wooded eastern US. A lot of plains states and western hunters say it isn't loud enough for their wide open spaces.

The funny thing about coyotes is that their breeding habits and reproductive cycles adapt to the pressure of being hunted. Females normally are monogamous and will bear four or five pups in a litter, with a survival rate of ~50%. But when hunting pressure is high, they can have as many as 11 pups in a litter, survival rate can go as high as 100%, and females will breed with any male that's available. I can't put my finger on it at the moment but I recently came across a study concluding that if they're imbedded in your area, you've got to kill off around 75% of them or you won't break even with the increased reproduction your hunting pressure caused.

Not only that, they are believed to be smarter than domestic canines and they are wary to the point of being paranoid. That makes them very challenging to hunt. If you've got a cash money interest in thinning them out, I'd recommend you look into trapping or a professional varmint eradicator.

Of course, just because you're trapping them doesn't mean you can't also hunt them. ;-)

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The FoxPro Fury is the one i have chosen and it works great.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I will look into a trapper and also a Fox Pro call.If any of the Members are from western Michigan and good at trapping please contact me.
phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI-FOXPRO has just changed their e-caller models. For example, the Spitfire has been discontinued and the Wildfire is now at the former Spitfire price point.

Bob

"Two new units will be released, the Hellfire and the Shockwave. The Shockwave will be our newest high-end unit. Prior to this year, our focus shifted to lower end calls with the addition of the Spitfire and the Wildfire. This year, we have focused back on the high-end calls, but also have changed the lineup of our lower end calls. Here is the lineup, followed by a description of the new units:

Unit:

Wildfire $199.95
Hellfire $349.95
Firestorm $399.95
Fury 2 $499.95 (Now with FOXBANG!)
Shockwave $599.95
Prairie Blaster 2 $699.95 (Now with FOXBANG!)

As you can see, the Spitfire and the Scorpion will be discontinued. The Wildfire will replace the Spitfire at the $199.95 price point. The Firestorm has dropped to $399.95. The Fury has dropped to $499.95, and now has FOXBANG included. The Prairie Blaster will also have FOXBANG."

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can hit them with hand calls right now.
It sounds like they have not been "electronically" educated to the same sounds the ecaller puts out also.
TR has good info on letting a local trapper have at it.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.