Print Thread
Hop To
#6526692 05/21/12
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Headed to Oregon for a family Rat and Chuck shoot.
We had a great time but the varmints weren't there this year.
[Linked Image]

The rat field appears to have been poisoned which would have been good to know before hand crazy
[Linked Image]

The chuck shooting was LAME... we usually shoot 15-20 a person. This year we killed 3 total!

Jeff_O gave my dad some steel plates which he brought and I made a hanger for one. We had loads of fun shooting at 300-400 yards.
My 7 year old nephew got a first round hit with my dad's AR at 300 yards!

Steel at 400 is hard in wind that drives these...[Linked Image]

these critters my be part of the reason the chucks weren't there...
[Linked Image]

Good time with the family but next year we'll have to work on some new spots.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
critters are out in force further south here... over by Klamath...and Lakeview...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Seafire
critters are out in force further south here... over by Klamath...and Lakeview...

Well good for you wink

It's hard not living there anymore so I can't keep an eye on things. May have to venture further south next year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
well if you want to make a hike down this way, I'll be more than happy to line up some opportunity...just give me a heads up by a couple of days or so...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you abused the plate! I still have a few more to give away.

Sorry the sage rats were a disappointment.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are you sure the sage rats were poisoned?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by deflave
Are you sure the sage rats were poisoned?

Travis

No.
Just a guess. I walked a part of the field and didn't see or hear any. Even the 'wild' edges didn't have any.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gophers suck this year in my AOR, just an FYI.

Fingers crossed for a zombie rising.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they are down quite a bit in the regions that I ususally shoot. Getting too late in the year, I think, to try a trip down to Christmas Valley or Jordan Valley as well, methinks. Some day though I must make the trip. (Dangitall, I say that EVERY year!)

Here's hoping my usual Rock chuck spot is still good.

Nimrod1949, Glad you found ways to have fun despite the low numbers of varmints to shoot. And glad it was a good outing with family. My son quite shooting and hunting at age 18 and now 12 years later is still not interested. In a few years I will try to bring him back into the fold through HIS son, my grandson.... smile

Last edited by safariman; 05/28/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Oregon friend and I shoot sage rats, but last year one rancher let a majority of the alfalfa fields lay fallow, then deep ripped them to bust up the tunnels and dens and injected poison. Also placed poison tubes along every field margin. This year he planted triticale instead of alfalfa in all but one field. Sage rats do not like triticale. So, I stayed home this year and hunted our ground squirrels, but the Forest Service is trying desperately to close the area to hunting, so even that is in jeopardy.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have been chuck hunting in areas around Redmond and Klamath Falls and have only seen one field with high numbers of sage rats.

The chucks really fared well over the winter. Birth rate must have been high as their numbers are way up.

Just got back from Klamath Falls area where my shooting friend and I shot 66 in two half days. They are sure raising hell with the alfalfa. We shot over 30 chucks within 35 yards of a big field. They had literally mowed the alfalfa down to the ground in an area 40 x 100 yards. Worst damage I have ever seen.

We used the new Caldwell Dead Shot FieldPod instead of our portable benches because it is much easier to carry. We would sneak through the Junipers and keep the chucks from seeing us. Anyhow, the rest is just what the doctor ordered for being mobile.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
crane has some very good shooting and up by buchannon behind oards use to rock.beware though some property has gone to (puke,vomit)paid hunting.the hermiston just sucks for about any hunting these days

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
crane has some very good shooting and up by buchannon behind oards use to rock.beware though some property has gone to (puke,vomit)paid hunting.the hermiston just sucks for about any hunting these days

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (338Rules, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,470
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.