Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I ran across some Winchester 37 grain Super-Speed (hollowpoints) at a gunshop last week.
I am thinking of buying a box (100 rounds for $7.25) and giving them a try.
I am not familiar with these bullets but do use (and have for a long time) the 40 grain Power-Points in three of my highly accurate heavy barrel 22 L.R. bolt action Varminters.
These 40 grain bullets are, highly accurate in my Rifles and VERY lethal on Varmints - so in my slower rate of fire 22's I can AFFORD to shoot them!
I don't dare try these "expensive" 40 grainers (or the 37 grainers!) in my high volume 10/22's.
The 40 grain Power-Points are advertised at 1,280 F.P.S. and these new (well they are new to me and the shop owner said they were "new") 37 grain Super-Speed hollow-points are advertised at 1,330 F.P.S.
I am thinking I could use another 50 F.P.S. (and maybe the flatter trajectory over the ranges I normally shoot Varmints at?) and I could use another option on Ground Squirrels and smaller Varmints.
Does anyone out there have any experience with these "new" Winchester Super-Speed 37 grain hollowpoints?
Lethality on small Varmints?
Accuracy?
Etc?
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We had them here quite a few years ago, they were replaced by the 40 gn Power-Points. Are they copper coated? (our ones were).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will let you know in a couple of weeks, as I intend to try some on some of those north central montana gophers. I agree with the 40 gr Power Points, as I was told by a very reliable source, that they are the best small varmint .22 load available, particularly at longer .22 ranges.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG,

Saw some 31 grain HPs from Federal at two stores last night..

one was $16.99 for a box of 500 and Sportsman's Warehouse across town had them for $34.99 for the exact same box!

I prefer lead bullets and these are copper. ( Plated?)

sound interesting on sage rats tho..

last time I was out, took a Lever action 94/22 with a 6 power Weaver on top of it...out to 75 yds, that was actually pretty fun rifle and it sure is accurate.. much more so than a 10/22..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If the Win Super Speed (SS) hollow points are the copper plated variety then I have had quite a bit of experience with them. They were my preferred .22 hunting cartridge until the 40gn Power Point (PP) came along. They do a very good job on game, and were accurate, but they were a step below the PP's in terms of killing power.

Seemed to me that the PP's have a softer lead (or perhaps the copper on the SS's made them harder), but the PP's opened up much quicker and to a bigger diameter.

This was most obvious when I was using a .22 LR for the first stages of a feral goat culling job. We used the .22 LR first as the goats were plentiful, easy to sneak up on, and because of the lack of noise factor. We would switch to .22 centre fires once they started wising up.

The SS's would penetrate right through the chest of a medium size goat (assuming that you didn't hit any big bones), but the PP's wouldn't, despite the fact that they were a bit heavier. This was close range work (25 - 50 yards max), and we would head shoot the bigger ones and chest shoot the smaller ones once they started moving off.

In summary, for the same price I'd use the PP's every time, but if I could only get SS's, or they were nice and cheap, then I would have no issues using them.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MikeNZ: Thank you very much for your replies/experiences!
I have now purchased one box of the 37 grain Super-Speed Hollow-Points (100 rounds) but I have as yet to fire them.
Thanks again.
The Winchester box states the 37 gr. hollow-points are "plated" and they ARE copper colored.
I will give an update on accuracy and maybe a lethality report on these 37's in a few days.
Apparently SW Montana has entered the "Monsoon Season" (I woke up to 1" of fresh new snow here this morning!) and when and IF the weather ever perks up I get to the range with these and three Rifles to test them in.
I mean its may 30th for Pete's sake when is this winter going to end!
Yes the price is virtually the same here for both Winchester offerings - $7.25 (U.S.) per 100.
Thanks also for clarifying the "history" of these 37 grainers as I had not seen them about before.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 33 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.