Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't take it anymore. I got a new coyote rifle/scope combination and just had to wring it out and break it in on coyotes. Plus it doesn't hurt that the local ranchers and farmers have been calling pretty regular with coyote problems and I'm always more than happy to be hired as a coyote assassin. Anyway enough talk lets post a few recent photos.

This is the first coyote I took with my new rig on the very first stand I tried with the new rifle. Nice big male. Love it when a plan works out so well.
[Linked Image]

Next up here's a few chicken killers. A local farmer called and said she had coyotes stealing chickens right out of her yard near her house. On the first stand I called in 3 coyotes and was able to kill two of them, both on the run by the way. Kilt this one on its way in.
[Linked Image]

Killed her partner on her way out. Got her right in the Ol' Bingo Hole @135 yards. I was surprised to get two adult females.
[Linked Image]

After killing the two above coyotes I could hear some more coyotes howling off to the West and about 1/2 a mile or more away. I hiked over and located the little howler. Long story short I ranged this little male at 450 yards. Took careful aim and killed him deader than dead. Was fairly proud of this shot as he was a tiny target at that distance.
[Linked Image]

Last night after work the wind was calm and I just had to get out again. I went to a ranch where the rancher had actually watched a pair of coyotes come in and kill a calf. I was able to make two stands. Here is the result of the first stand. Man, I love the lighting in this photo!
[Linked Image]

After calling in the first I hustled to get in one more stand and killed the larger of the two coyotes shown closest to the camera. She was an old female and I'm sure we have done battle before, but this time I won. wink
[Linked Image]

As the sun went down I decided to hang the two sidexside for one last photo to remember a fun evening of calling. Oh and btw, I'm really loving this new rifle!!!
[img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/CoyoteTroyAug30DEGood.jpg[/img]

Is it Friday yet?
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats, obviously an effective combo. But so many questions left unanswered; Cartridge, load, tweaks, calls,... regale us! Is that a side-focus Bushy?

Failure's always an option
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
tucsonan, where's the fun in giving out all the information in the first post. wink Cartridge 22-250, Hornady Superformance ammunition, no tweaks the rifle shot great right out of the box, calls FoxPro CS-24 and Tony Tebbe's Overdose hand call...

Is it Friday yet?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You seeing better response out of the hand call, or the FoxPro? Clearly, at least one of 'em is working. BTW, 450 out of a 22-250's pretty respectable.

Failure's always an option
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BTW, good eye on the scope. It is a Bushnell 6500 Tactical 4.5-30X50, with side focus and mildots. Great scope and about the most perfect calling scope I can imagine. If there is a better scope set up for "near" and "far" I don't know what it is. The rifle is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator. I'm usually not a big Ruger fan, but I make an exception with this rifle. Between the two-stage target-grade adjustable trigger and the semi-bull stainless steel barrel...not to mention great accuracy...I am a fan of this rifle!

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
must be the m2d

M2D the science behind deception
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes M2D, it's my favorite pattern for open prairie and CRP. On a side note I wasn't real thrilled with where I had to sit on either stand. On the first stand I was both in direct sun and silhouetted. On the second stand I was on an open hillside of cheat grass. In both cases I had to really rely on the camouflage to help me out. Apparently it worked. smile

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Very cool beans!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good shooting man! your getting er dun!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice! Im itchin to get out. Hopefully Monday morning!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Troy!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet! Nice work. Makes me want to go blow the dust off my gear and get after it....

How warm has it been there?

Regards,

Tom
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
you really put the swat to ol canis latrans !

appears that rig/combo is working mighty fine too...

in the 70's and 80's when scenar and i would hunt them together, we would usually start in late sept. to early oct, and would get quite a few before the fall big game season--the point where the new yotes got an education from the occasional shooter who was actually engaged in hunting deer.

an early oct. coyote could easily "fool" fur buyers into thinking it was last years' dec. coyote. we once sold a late sept. coyote to the best, most knowledgable fur buyer around, and we absolutely could not convince him it was a sept. dog--even in the end he said it had to be last winter's kill.

btw, if you get an exceptionally nice dog, occasionally a taxidermist will purchase it from you for a full mount project--which makes for "mo ammo to send ol canis latrans' way"...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job on cleaning up some yotes! Great looking rifle!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
you're a killin' mOchine Troy....I expect to see many more drop by the end of this winter...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What sound did you use on your CS-24?

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
TR, hey man good to see you are alive. Haven't heard much from you in a while.

Jim the Plumber, all coyote vocals no prey distress at all.

Is it Friday yet?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would like to have that first one's hide hangin' on the wall. Pretty IMO.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
poboy, I killed this coyote last fall. This is the kind I like hanging on the way. Big, light (pale) and well furred up.
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
September yotes is always an interesting topic. There are some that are in the camp of take them when they can and then there are those that are in the camp of Sept yotes are just too darn easy so they won't hunt them then.

Choices is what makes the world go around.

Not making any judgements at all here just and observation is all.

You gonna hunt fall bruins Troy?

Have fun out there all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
136 members (338reddog, 375sunrise, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 1911a1, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,331 guests, and 594 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,424
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.