Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Tried it several ways..used to make a cut in the back and then grab both ends and pull. Sometimes you pull the squirrel in half though. Tried cutting just below the tail and standing on the back legs, works okay. Any other thoughts?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to make a cut in the nape of the neck for squirrels and cottontails and hook my fingers inside and pull towards the tail. usually get about a half at a time sometimes all at once if lucky. Or you could shoot em with a .223 or .22-250 which will skin and quarter all at once. Not a lot left to eat that way tho. grin

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the root of the tail and down the back method. I use pruning shears (anvil type) to cut off the legs. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 03/02/12. Reason: add sentence two

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

This is the way I do it, but big fox squirrels take a bit more time. Also, the sooner you skin em after you shoot em, the easier it will be.

maddog

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, that looks alot like what I was trying to do, except i would cut all the way down the back legs. Believe me I know not to let them get cold. If not shot up, I have taken an air compressor and stuck it in a slit in their hide , they blow up like a football, and the hide seperates from the body. Works sometimes!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hmmm...you carry a compressor to the woods? wink grin

maddog

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of my dad's friends always carries plastic bags with him
when squirrel hunting and cleans them in the woods after he
shoots them. Says he cant stand cleaning a cold stiff squirrel
at the end of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll have an advantage when the squirrel is cleanly killed without excessive damage and you don't wait all day to skin. I always prefer the "stepping on the base of the tail" method on a good squirrel. You need a proper smallish knife, make sure you cut the tail bone at the base joint without going through the hide on the other side, make sure you cleanly nick the hide to go around each side to leave the pants, and make sure you firmly step on the base of the tail with the ball of your foot against a solid object. The hide comes off like a sock. It doesn't take too many squirrel under the belt before you'll get it down well enough to clean a mess of squirrel in short order.

Squirrel that are poorly shot with excessive damage and have sat around all day before skinning may prove tricky and could tear in half. You may need to extend your nicks further around by partially skinning the hide around the back and each side so the base of the tail has a flap which goes around the waist a bit. This will make the pull to start the pants a bit easier which may reduce the chance you tear the squirrel into pieces. If the squirrel is too shot up, you probably need to switch gears and use the method where you split the hide in the center and pull out from the middle with your hands in opposite directions.

The more squirrel you clean and cook, the more you strive to take them cleanly with minimal damage. Eventually you find the right combination and a difficult squirrel becomes the exception and not the rule.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do as you do. Pulling the squirrel in half isn't so bad. It's when you do it and they squirt poop all over you that kind of ruins your day.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I find shooting them first helps.. But that's just me smile smile smile

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.