Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ok, here�s the deal. I get this question 50 times a year and they all originate from web sites. The problem with the internet is that there are so many �experts� who really have no knowledge but want to portray themselves as the keepers of all knowledge as long as they can hide in the anonymity of the internet.

Yes, Pyrodex contains pecrhlorates.

No, they do not etch the barrel at some minute level so small it can only be viewed under a full moon while wearing a wizard outfit.

NASA and the DOD both have tested and used Pyrodex over the past 35 years. Their testing contradicts the �experts� on the internet. They found Pyrodex to be no more corrosive than black powder.

Cleaning of Pyrodex residue is the same as black powder. No petro solvents, only water based or polar solvents. Soap is great. Windex with vinegar is great, Ballistol is the best thing for cleaning muzzleloaders I have ever seen, with all powders.

I don�t know how to make it any more plain, no special problems with Pyrodex. Shoot the gun, Clean the gun completely and you are just fine.

Those who want to continue to spew about their �expert� knowledge about the corrosiveness of Pyrodex and how it magically micro-pits barrels are going to continue to spew the same old tired stuff. How could the continue to be the anonymous �expert� hiding on the internet if they gave up. That is just the nature of the internet. I (we) are bound by truth, the �experts� are bound by their imaginations.

I hope this helps. I would say that it may be best to just give the best advice ever, �When you want to know about a product, call the maker. 800-622-4366�

Mike Daly

Customer Satisfaction Manager

The Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants

Hodgdon Smokeless Powders

Winchester Legendary Propellants

IMR Propellants

Pyrodex

Triple Seven

Goex Black Powder

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bigblock455,

Those "Micro pits" the internet experts speak of must be from the CVA barrels!!!!! Just pulling your leg.

If you have a reloading powder question Mike Daly is the man to talk to at Hodgdon.

I remember a conversation I had with Mike concerning 777 powder, it went like this.

When 777 powder came out Hodgdon was forced to set self imposed pressure & load limits on the powder because the rifle manufactures would not test their guns with the 777 loose powder because if they did they would have to add "Warnings" to the barrels indicating load limits

This is why 777 pellets has a filler and similar power levels to pyrodex. Hodgdon knew if they powder level was the same as 777 loose powder some shooter would place 3 full powder pellets down the barrel. This could have "LEAD" to a cross over lawsuit of it was the powder..NO it was the barrel.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 04/22/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know how to be more plain about my experiences, but I shot a lot of pyrodex once upon a time. Many pounds of it. I shoot many more pounds of blackpowder now. There is absolutely no comparison in the corrosive properties of their fouling. Pyrodex is way way more corrosive. It is not close, it is not similar, it is not even kinda sorta the same. Pyrodex fouling is horrible.

It is also pretty damn inaccurate.

Why would NASA and the DOD waste 3 seconds testing either Pyrodex or BP?

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Has the NMLRA (via Muzzle Blasts) tested the myriad black powder substitutes along with one (or more) black powder controls? Has the NRA (via American Rifleman) tested? If not, why not?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BrentD
I don't know how to be more plain about my experiences, but I shot a lot of pyrodex once upon a time. Many pounds of it. I shoot many more pounds of blackpowder now. There is absolutely no comparison in the corrosive properties of their fouling. Pyrodex is way way more corrosive. It is not close, it is not similar, it is not even kinda sorta the same. Pyrodex fouling is horrible.
Wrong!..you gotta clean your gun when your done...simple.

Wrong again...I can prove otherwise.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, let me restate that.

I can prove pyro is accurate in my gun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pyrodex fouling is horrible.

I picked out the one statement that I can agree with. It does produce some pretty good crud/fouling in my guns, almost as bad as 777. But crud/fouling is not rust/corrosion.

As stated, both black powder and pyrodex ARE corrosive!

However, both need to be cleaned at the end of each shooting session. POOF! No corrosion from either! Who cares if one is more than the other. Take care of your guns and won't have a problem.

Of course, I like BH 209 better than either. And yes, it can promote corrosion too, but not if handled properly.

But in one of my guns, pyrodex is more accurate hands down than any other powder.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/22/10.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I now shoot B209. I still clean fairly soon after shooting, carry over from the pryodex days. I may now go a day or two if on a hunt though. I do agree, don't shoot pyrodex & let your gun sit uncleaned for a few days.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tom264

Anytime Guy. Raton and the BPTR and BPCR. I'll be there. There will be less than one person on the line shooting Pdex.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Pyrodex is VERY Accurate.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
AT point blank range and on the internet. See ya at the match

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, banging silhouettes is truly what separates the men from the boys. After that, you'll likely put up a challenge race for pink slips in your Subaru Forester.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was suggesting 1000 yds Creedmoor dufus. Got no Subie - sorry about busting your bubble. It would be a fair trade for your VW bug though.

Anyway, 1000,900,800, 60 shots for score. You are welcome to try. I don't think you can score above the fold much less win with Pdex. I am certainly willing to wager, but cash only. I don't need your Bug

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
100 dude.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Okay, let's try 1000. I'll be there.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I am saying my gun likes Pyro...I'm not saying one is more accurate than the other..

To say Pyro is not accurate is a dumb statement.

Mine does better at 100 than my friends gun and he's shooting BP....go figure.

1000? I havent even shot mine past 200 I couldnt tell you what mine will do at 1000.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Okay, I will say this then. In the old days (1980s and 1990) when bpcr was in its infancy and bptr (cartridge and muzzleloader) was just being reborn, folks showed up to matches with pyrodex and got whupped over and over and over again. They don't show up any more. BP is more available now than ever. It works better than Pyrodex and that is all there is to it. If you want to guess at how well it might do at 1000, start with running it over a chronograph and compare with good bp loads.

No serious competitor in schuetzen shooting will use the stuff either. It is fine for what it is - 100 yd deer rifles. But it is expensive, less accurate, and its fouling is more corrosive. Those facts have been well established over the last two decades. And that is not simply my experience, but that of 100s of damn serious competitive shooters all over the nation.

Brent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree! I use two Pyrodex pellets and 295 grain Powerbelts. It'll shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day without a lot of effort from my Omega. 1000 yards? Not interested. i'm not going to shoot at a hog at 1000 yards.

Last edited by daddywpb; 04/23/10.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Bigblock455,

Those "Micro pits" the internet experts speak of must be from the CVA barrels!!!!!

Nah, those are manufacturing defects.

Hah, more leg-pulling!!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tom264

This is it in a nut shell. Let the residue sit in your gun long enough there will be a problem. Using Pyrodex for years with no corrosive problems mainly because I clean my MZ every time I shoot it. I go to the club the day before the opener and shoot a fouling shot, then I go hunting. Simple.

CLB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.