Print Thread
Hop To
#6256869 03/05/12
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I was looking at my new CVA Elkhorn and thought the stock seemed REALLY tight. So even tho I don't think it will pass the dollar bill test I tried anyway. The results were worse then I thought. I couldn't get it even to start at the top of the forearm. So I'm not talking just a little, I mean absolutely NO room between the barrel and the stock. It's just the black synthetic stock. It's like it was heated and set in it to cool....lol

Now I don't really want to get a blank laminate for such a cost efficient gun, but I think it should hindering on performance. Now even if I shave out some of the forearm to make a little room and float the barrel I'm sure that will help, at least some. Don't know cause I haven't even shot the thing yet, awaiting a breech plug.

So I thought I might scrape it out and figured while I have it out and I need to bed a different gun I thought I might do some practice......LOL

But I don't know if it will attach really good to plastic like laminate/wood, or would I just waste good bedding?

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
is the barrel in full contact through its full length now ?
The dollar bill check works to see if your barrel is floated .
If its properly bedded , the trick wont work as the barrel will be in full contact down the full-length of the stock,.

So really it depends on what line of thought you think will make the gun shoot better . IE bedding and floating .
But if your come back and bed the stock , unless your just bedding the action . then all your going to do is bring the barrel back to full contact

Last edited by captchee; 03/05/12.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IMO, Leave it as it is until you shoot it.

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/free-floating-your-barrel.html
You really don't have to do the epoxy around the barrel lug screw area of the stock, but if you have the stuff, it certainly wont hurt.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well yea, but this thing is stuck in there all the way up WELL past the lug screw I mean to the forearm tip! You can't even think about getting something between the forearm and barrel at all! I have never seen a rifle barrel stuck in a forearm that tight. It blows my mind! I figure in the least to do a free float job on it.

You right, I should wait to shoot it so at least i can get a before and after, just thought I would ask while I await a breech plug. It will be a fun project, I could post up shot groups and info as I do the mod's. And for the price I paid for it, who cares!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I even use files and a sanding block to open the sides of the barrel channel on the stocks. Sometimes it helps accuracy improve, other times i wasted my time on trying to improve something that didn't need it. Thats why i threw in the, shoot it first! LOL.

check out the 385gr hornady great plains bullets with 80-90gr pyrodex rs.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.