Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I finally ordered a new one yesterday!
I had planned to buy one some time ago and kept stalling till they were no longer produced...
Well, They are back! at least as long as there is sufficient demand.
The current prices vary considerably so shopping around for the best prices is important.
I hope to be out for some testing this weekend but I'll need to order some Thor's asap to compare too.
I'll let you know how it goes!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats! I shot 4 or 5 different muzzleloaders till I got mine. They are heavy but they are awesome!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i would like to one in stainless but cant find it. heard alot of good things about them

S
S
I did not think you could shoot conicals in the Savage(thors)?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep us posted. I keep thinking I want one. I know a few guys that have them and none of them would go back. Ever.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Smokeless isn't for everyone, but it's definitely superior to other MZ's for a variety of reasons.

I sell a lot of bullets & sabots for smokeless guns. Hands down the best bullet/sabot combo for these guns is the 458 Cal 300gr Barnes Original SSP. Not that others won't work, but this is by far the most consistent across dozens of guns. I also sell sample packs.

Good luck!

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't plan on letting go of the other muzzleloaders i already have but this one has been calling me for a long time.

I'm sure I'll play with sabot loads but conical are all that's allowed for hunting in Co. so that's the primary goal.

I like to work with numerous cartridges and loads for center-fire rifles.
Muzzloaders were the original handloaders so it seems a natural growth, for me anyway.
It's due in tomorrow. I'll be in touch!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
thor bullets .com

I'll be trying these among others.

Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, as you know, you can't use smokeless powder in Colorado for ML season. So, you'd need to hunt the rifle seasons to take full advantage of the Savage. Then you can use sabots and smokeless.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 09/27/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine is currently at McMillan getting a Savage Hunter stock. Hope to have it back soon to start working up a load and get it ready for the season.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the McMillan stock save you any weight? And what do theses guns weight out of the box, no scope?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
Does the McMillan stock save you any weight? And what do theses guns weight out of the box, no scope?

It all depends on what fill you go with. I went with a Game Scout with "Edge" fill for my 700ML smokeless conversion. The stock weighs 25.5oz which is close to a pound of savings over their standard fill or an HS Precision.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tell us about your gun. I have never seen an ML look like that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
Tell us about your gun. I have never seen an ML look like that.

It's a 700ML action with a modified bolt nose to take a 209 Primer like the Savage.

The barrel is an after market 458cal Pac-Nor that's chambered for the Savage BP. It's got interrupted fluting from TwistedBarrel.

The brake is a Harrell's tactical.

I will be shooting full-bore 45 cal bullets out of it. Most likely the 275gr Parker Match Hunter (advertised BC of .384). Probably around 2700FPS. We'll see how bad recoil is as the hole thing as shown (with Murphy Ti Base and TPS aluminum rings) is only 7# 6oz.

http://smokelessmz.com/700ml.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let us know how it how it shoots please. That is really cool. Can you switch out triggers?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I forgot to mention it's got a Jewell trigger in it! laugh

Here's a group I shot @ 100 yards with the unbedded (no pillars even) and not free floated factory stock before the McMillan showed up.

Unfortunately, I had to send it right back to McMillan because the action was rotating in the stock when I tightened the screws down.

[Linked Image]

The Parkers really are exceptional bullets. Here's a five shot group out of a different gun with the 300gr bullet @ 200 yards. 1.75". I shot this one back when it was really hot out...not the best weather for concentrating. Best 4 are <1".

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad I'm tapped with a custom 204 and 25-06 in the works right now. Maybe after December I can take a breather and consider working on a project like this. Truth is, I hunt almost exclusively with a muzzleloader. It's definitely the tool that gets used.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a NULA 209 but found two new, but old stock Savage ML-II at a local gunshop I rarely visit. They are pre-Accutrigger and have the old style flat rear bridge. Both are blue on black models. The asking price is $439.

Knowing this guy I think he probably has them marked up 30% which means he probably has $340 or so in them. Knowing they need new triggers and stocks (at a minimum but I'll rebarrel them and make a BP that crush fits a primer for a sealed system) do you think $375 is too much if I can talk him down?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hawkeye, these really are the best thing out there for deer hunting in Iowa... I went crazy on the one above, but it's for myself. Depending on if you do the work yourself, etc, you can get into one of these that will perform real well for around $1K.

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
7mmfreak
Buy them both for $375ea. and I'll buy the second if you would ship one out here.
With an appropriate finders fee for you of course!

Last edited by colodog; 09/29/12. Reason: add comment

Isak Dinesen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 52 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.