Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My teenage son has expressed interest in getting a blackpowder gun for his birthday and I know nothing for the most part on the subject. He has no desire to hunt, but likes to shoot. I am not opposed to getting something in a kit and building it as well. So what would be good for someone starting out? Any help is appreciated.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well , I think your question would depend on a few things .
Whats your son like . In other words does he get involved in things deeply or is he a rather spontaneous type of person .
What are your and his skill level when it comes to wood working and such .
What price range are you looking thinking .
What type of shooting is he interested in . long range off hand , bench , steel target trail walks paper or just shooting ��
Is his interest in Modern type muzzle loading rifle or a traditional muzzleloader

If your price is say 400 or less . You have low wood working skills and your son is more of the type that getting into things and then falls away quickly or just wants something to go out and shoot . Then I would recommend a production gun like a Lyman, investment arms , CVA, Traditions , Thompson Center Or a kit from any one of those companies ..
If his interest is modern then one of the other fella�s would be better qualified to make a recommendation there .

On the other hand if you feel his interests are more in-depth and consistent , if this is to be a father and son learning type project , you have some wood working experience and tools , backed with 4-700 in funding . Then I would suggest a parts assembly for a build project . As such your looking at something from a company like Jim Chambers , Track of the wolf , muzzleloader builder supply ��� but keep in mind these are not simple drop together assemblies like production gun kits . As such I would seriously also consider at least one build book to go along with your new purchase
This is also where his type of shooting comes into play . If his interest is in truly long range shooting
Then your options IMO would be a higher end gun like a Pedersoli Gibbs or Tryon rifle , or to build one from a parts assembly from one of the pre mentioned suppliers .

So really it all depends . But if your just looking for an entry level muzzleloader to go out and shoot targets with. Then a Cap lock from any one of the production companies will suit you well .
don�t forget , your also going to need the gear to suport the rifle .
IE , Ball starter , cleaning jag , picks , ball puller or Co2 discharger , patch worm , caps , balls , patches , powder , powder measure ���.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You have to really like shooting a muzzleloader to keep up with it. Lots of stuff to buy initially and lots of ongoing purchases: patches, cleaning solutions, powder, bullets, primers. It can cost the same or more than shooting a centerfire. And for the most part, you can't shoot today and clean your gun a week from now, it can ruin a barrel with rust. So unless he is willing to spend 30-45 minutes cleaning the gun immidately after shooting it, it may not be the sport for him.

As stated, the big question to ask now is why does he want one? If it is a "back to the past" think, then a percussion sidelock is the ticket. Hawken would be a good one to go with although I have a T/C renegade that I love. Built it from a kit, but they don't sell them any more.

If he doesn't have to have the retro look, and just wants to shoot a front stuffer, then an inline might be the best. I would recommend one that can use BH 209 powder. Don't have to swab between shots (you do with other powders) and if he waited a day or two before cleaning it, it wouldn't ruin the rifle. However, not every inline can use BH 209 and it has to be used with 209 caps.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Traditions has a Hawken kit but it cost more than the finished gun.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if its a traditional kit gun. Lyman great plains rifle would be an excellent way to go.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bigblock455
if its a traditional kit gun. Lyman great plains rifle would be an excellent way to go.

yep and even if you use BP you should not have to swab between shots and if it takes you 45 min to clean up the gun ? All I can say is Wow
IMO one should get in the habit of cleaning the gun up after shooting anyway . doesn�t mater if it a BP gun or a center fire

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldnt get a kit, get him something he can go shoot that day. Everyone will probably say what a great time it would be to build a gun like that with your dad, and yeah, it would be. But, when you were that age, which you have rather gotten? I would have rather gotten something I could shoot right away.

T/C doesnt make traditional muzzle loaders anymore, so if thats the route you are looking I would look at a Lyman. Tons of choices if he doesnt want a traditional rifle. Regardless of the route you go, teach him to clean it right after shooting. Even Blackhorn 209 will corrode the barrel if you wait too long.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For the money I just bought the finished Lyman GPR and completely refinished it. It was less work.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd look for a good, used traditional (either a percussion cap or flint-lock) black powder muzzle-loader IF (and that's a BIG "IF") if you know someone who shoots muzzleloaders and can help advise you on what to look for and what to avoid in buying a used black powder, muzzle-loading rifle.

Check at your local shooting range or club and ask if there is a black powder club that shoots there. If so, get the president's name and phone number... and give him a call.

Most traditional muzzle loader shooters are really nice folks and the vast majority of 'em are truly HONEST... and would be willing to help you pick out a good, used rifle that you could probaby buy for half the price (or less) of the cost of a new model.

A few years ago, I bought an older, but like "new" CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) .50 caliber, percussion cap Hawken Carbine (a short 24" barreled, half-stocked muzzle loader) to use as my deer hunting rifle for just $100, but the owner and I were "friends", so he sold it to me for $50 less than the "asking" price ($150) he had put on the rifle and could have probably gotten since the rifle was in excellent condition with a bright bore and no real "wear" marks.

However, I've seen a good many truly fine used, good-quality, traditional muzzle loading rifles in fine condition that sold for $250 or less... so it shouldn't cost you a lot to get a very good, very usable muzzle loading rifle.

You've gotten good, thoughtful advice from the other members... re-read their posts and remember their suggestions.

Good luck in your quest... and make GOOD smoke...! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by captchee

yep and even if you use BP you should not have to swab between shots and if it takes you 45 min to clean up the gun ? All I can say is Wow
IMO one should get in the habit of cleaning the gun up after shooting anyway . doesn�t mater if it a BP gun or a center fire

When I was a newby, yeah, it probably took me that long. After shooting two of my guns Friday afternoon, it probably took me 15 minutes total to clean both guns, but he will have a learning curve just like for shooting.

He needs to probably watch a video on how to load and shoot or have an experienced shooter teach him. If you aren't paying attention, it is not that hard to double load powder or bullet and can lead to some disatrous results. Don't mean to scare you, but it certainly is not just loading a shell and pulling the trigger.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02/24/13.

Venor ergo sum
IC B3

T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the info, looks like I have homework.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.