24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a show about supposed "Mutant Dogs" back east. They were eating pet dogs. Showed a photo of a dead dog with a little age on it and they were all freaking out that it was some kind of super hybrid mutant wild dog-wolf-Ninja or whatever. It was all BS; just a dead road-killed black dog with mange. DNA confirmed it; anyone with half a brain woulda said, "Gee, a dead black dog with mange on it." wink

Lovin' the new "Monsters" show on Wednesday nights. So many monsters....so little proof.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah! They're creating quite a stir around here. My wife knows the people that were hit on Thanksgiving day and the latest one was at another guys's place that I'm acquainted with. Neither of these people heard anything. They've been coming right into the yards. I've got a sled dog & run him just on the outskirts of the area these animals seem to be traveling. I'm keeping the outside light on at night, have moved his dog houses next to the garage and just started placing a radio outdoors at night & leaving it on. BTW, I got the .44 Mag. locked & loaded next to the front door too. I also run my dog on the outskirts of the area they seem to be running in and I'm gonna start carrying the .44 with me on those jaunts too. We haven't had a lot of snow and since it seems to be a family, they'll tend to not go for a full grown moose. A calf? Yeah, possibly. But why, when puppy chops are so easy to come by? Sure hope the trappers or get 'em or somebody shoots more of them. As far as I know only one's been shot so far. Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the update Ray.
Troubling wolf behavior reported
By Tim Mowry
Staff Writer
Published December 8, 2007

The furor caused by a bold, dog-eating pack of wolves in Two Rivers escalated on Friday when the Department of Fish and Game received an unconfirmed report of a wolf following a person near 15 Mile Chena Hot Springs Road.

�I got a phone call from someone who described a situation where a person was followed by a wolf,� said department spokeswoman Cathie Harms, reached by cell phone shortly after a press release about the incident was issued at 5 p.m. �If this is true, this is not a good sign.�

Officials hadn�t talked to the person who was allegedly followed and knew only that it was a �young person,� Harms said.

�All I know is it�s something we need to check on,� she said. �If it�s true, it�s the next level of habituation.�

Wolves can become habituated and lose their fear of humans when they approach people with no negative response, Harms said. Habituation can progress to the point where wolves show aggression toward people but so far that�s not the case, she said. In all of the previous accounts of wolf encounters with people in the area, the wolves ran away from people, Harms said.

�But if a wolf did follow someone, that indicates a higher level of habituation, which is grounds for concern,� she said.
The report came from almost the same place where the Department of Fish and Game is holding a public meeting on Sunday to discuss concerns over the wolves, which have been roaming back and forth between Two Rivers and North Pole for more than a month.

At least three dogs have been killed and eaten � two in Two Rivers and one in North Pole � and several residents living along Chena Hot Springs Road have reported seeing wolves in their yards or on trails in the area. State wildlife officials suspect it�s the same pack of five or six wolves that killed the dogs and have been seen by residents.

Department staff are following up on Friday�s report and hope to find out more before Sunday�s 5 p.m. meeting at the Two Rivers Church of the Nazarene, located at 14.9 Mile Chena Hot Springs Road. Biologists will share what information they have collected about the wolf pack at the meeting and will try to answer as many questions as possible, Harms said.

Several residents in the area have expressed concern about the safety of their children with wolves in the area and wildlife officials encourage parents to accompany their children to and from bus stops or while playing outside, Harms said.

If confronted by a wolf, a person should face the animal and either stand their ground or slowly back away, said Harms.

�Running from an aggressive dog increases the chance of a bite, and it�s similar for wolves,� she said.

If residents see wolves around their homes or on the trails, Harms said they should try to make the wolves uncomfortable by making loud noises, shooting at them or frightening them in a way that will encourage them to avoid humans.Wolves can be shot in defense of life or property if they threaten people or domestic animals, Harms noted. She also said that hunting and trapping season for wolves is open as long as you have a hunting or trapping license. It should be noted, however, that it is illegal to shoot a wolf with a .22-caliber rifle because wolves are classified as big game in Alaska.

Contact staff writer Tim Mowry at 459-7587

(emphasis mine) IB

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

If residents see wolves around their homes or on the trails, Harms said they should try to make the wolves uncomfortable by making loud noises, shooting at them or frightening them in a way that will encourage them to avoid humans.(emphasis mine) IB

You may trust that I will "make the wolves uncomfortable" if I seen them around my home or neighborhood grin.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It should be noted, however, that it is illegal to shoot a wolf with a .22-caliber rifle because wolves are classified as big game in Alaska.

One miscue by the reporter is that this should read, "It should be noted, however, that it is illegal to shoot a wolf with a rimfire cartridge." The .22 cal short, long, and long rifle do not pass muster, unless you are shooting caribou from a boat in certain areas.

I can attest to the effectiveness of a 53 grain X. A 55 grain v-max (in a pinch)will do the job as well. The 22.250 is a good wolf rifle. The AR or mini 14 (with large clips) are much better for repeat performances...grins

best,
bearhunt'd

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by muledeer

You may trust that I will "make the wolves uncomfortable" if I seen them around my home or neighborhood grin.

Knew we could count on ya Big D ...grins

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stupid question from the lower 48: blush
Is there snow there?
I mean, can't you just go get a couple of wolf tags, get the guys and dogs and planes and whatever together and hunt 'em down? I know it may not be easy, in fact may be downright improbable, but I think it might be fun to try. At least try to turn the tables a bit. Or do the authorities frown on that stuff? Or do the folks expect the authorities to do it? None of the above?

There are many copies.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seems like a guy would need to have multiple dogs out there that way a ruckus would start and you'd have rights to go out and kill as many wolves on site as possible.

One dog faced with many probably wouldn't bark as much as growl, which would explain why no one hears anything.

Spot

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DPole
Stupid question from the lower 48: blush
Is there snow there?
I mean, can't you just go get a couple of wolf tags, get the guys and dogs and planes and whatever together and hunt 'em down? I know it may not be easy, in fact may be downright improbable, but I think it might be fun to try. At least try to turn the tables a bit. Or do the authorities frown on that stuff? Or do the folks expect the authorities to do it? None of the above?

The brush is really thick up here and that area is pretty populated. There are also 2 military bases with flight area restrictions. It is not like hunting Kansas. I bow hunted moose up there for 5 weekends this fall and on 3 of them never saw a moose. Can't hunt wolves with dogs either.....they eat them. grin

Happiness is a complete pass through. >>>>------->
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys have heard of my Lab's near miss last year. Seems like they have good taste in dogs, anyway.

Firepower. Don't leave home without it.

My brother lives at 15.5 Mile - will call him today for the skinny. Kind of curious as to what his two Akita's think about those wolves. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that'd be an interesting contest, a healthy well fed Akita and a wolf.

course it's gang warfare, make it a tough sled for the Akita.

beautiful animals, but I'm cautious around them.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Stupid question from the lower 48:
Is there snow there?
I mean, can't you just go get a couple of wolf tags, get the guys and dogs and planes and whatever together and hunt 'em down? I know it may not be easy, in fact may be downright improbable, but I think it might be fun to try. At least try to turn the tables a bit. Or do the authorities frown on that stuff? Or do the folks expect the authorities to do it? None of the above? "

DPOLE:
That area has various cover types. Some of it is "open" with tall willow growth. This willow is mixed in with relatively thick timber, spruce, alder, birch. There are a few winter trails thru the area but is dotted with sloughs as well. I run my dog on the western edge of the area these wolves seem to be roaming. We've got snow today & had some several days ago. I took my dog out running yesterday (Sat.) and I noticed a plane circling low. Obviously they were looking for fresh tracks in the snow. The wolves seem to hold up during the short days & are only active at night. I ran into the musher that maintains the trail I use yesterday & he said he's seen quite a few wolf tracks in the past. I haven't seen any tracks that I'd recognize as wolf. There's lottsa dog tracks in the area I go into. Also, I don't have a snowmachine but use a 4-wheeler when I go in the area. I'd like to find a way to get deeper into their area but I've gotta cross the river, I'm by myself & I don't trust the ice so guess I won't get in there. BTW, it's illegal to airplane hunt & that's a very risky proposition anyway. Guess people will just have to keep a sharp eye out until they get shot, trapped or move out. I'm just concerned they won't move out since puppy chops are so easy to come by. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 12/09/07.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Bear/Fbx....
I live at 23 mi. Once the snow conditions deepen, the wolves usually go back to their normal menu, and are gone from the neighborhood. In 2000 - 2001, another low snow winter, a large (about 90#) and rangy, black female wolf, accompanied by what looked to be a grey yearling, hung out around here for several months....had a regular route through the neighborhood she used to find her daily bred. To the best of my knowledge, no dogs were killed. It seems she was cruising the substantial dog manure piles ("etc") in the woods near some of the large sled dog kennels that dot the terrain. I saw her twice, at 4 pm, about 20' back in the woods from my dogyard...and each time, she was walking stiff-legged, with her ears back, and her tale almost straight out. My 40 dogs were, of course, going berserk. The wolf appeared to be signaling..."you don't really want me to come over there." Other time, She'd be gone in a flash if I reached for firepower. After more spring snow, she was gone and hasn't been around for years, although I haven't seen the latest group of intruders.

Anyone who sees one in the woods around here, will be poorly served with a rifle. The target is too quick and fleeting. My choice is not based on aesthetics, but cold practicality....A Remington 870 with a Polychoke turned to full, and some high brass 00 buckshot....the best choice when there is no chance of precision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cover was the problem I had hunting wolves when my lab was hit. Based on tracks in the snow, I was on top of them a couple of times -- but it's a trifle thick down here and I couldn't see 20 yards through the cover. Snares seem to work the best.

But our pack is back, and I'm going to go check their home base tomorrow grin. Might be a deer there too, who knows...

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I lived around Fbnks, I'd gather up as much dog straw (used) I could find, along with some domestic scat, then make a "hay" set close to where the wolves are running. I'd place a half doz. #9's around and cover the lot with the straw. Throw in a couple of snares blocking the channels leading into the straw and...whatcha know...wolves on stretchers. Can't help but think some are doing it alrerady though. There's alot of good wolf men up that way...

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the answers.
Good luck with the situation.

There are many copies.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Helicopter gunships

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.