Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am Alaska bound this September for a Caribou hunt. I will be flying out of either Bradley of Logan and am not sure which airlines I should look at before booking my flight. Does anyone have a favorite or ones I should avoid?
This will be my first time flying with a gun so if I can avoid a cavity search that would be a plus! wink

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get to Newark then pick up Alaska airlines. Then, it's Newark to Seatac to Anch. or Fairtown, your choice. Alaska Air now goes into Newark.
BTW, IMHO, Newark sucks big time but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 05/06/13.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have always flown Delta and haven't had a problem. Ammo in your checked bag. If you have room I put knives, saws etc in rifle case up to the 50# limit. Seems like my checked bags are always too full!! Locks on the rifle case or lockable case, and name and phone number inside case. They will have you sign a card saying the gun is unloaded; they used to physically inspect that. They will still look at the gun and also inspect your ammo in your checked bag. I carry my ammo in factory boxes and there is stipulations on the containers, factory boxes are OK. Your airport may handle things differently. I know Anchorage airport does. Firearms go to a different area to be checked. Good luck and have a fun trip. Hope you get some big bulls

Mark

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have yet to have any issues with Alaska Air. Checking a rifle in at DFW and Seattle is a breeze, but those are the only places I have flown in or out of. If you don't have a really good rifle case, my personal fav is Pelican. If there is a place for a lock, put one there, TSA will be a pain if you dont. I have 4 locks keyed the same that are only used for my rifle case. Don't make any smart@$$ remarks or YOU WILL MISS YOUR FLIGHT!!!! (had it happen to a buddy). Follow instructions, and be nice.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Centurion75
I am Alaska bound this September for a Caribou hunt. I will be flying out of either Bradley of Logan and am not sure which airlines I should look at before booking my flight. Does anyone have a favorite or ones I should avoid?
This will be my first time flying with a gun so if I can avoid a cavity search that would be a plus! wink

Flight #25 BOS direct to ANC leaves 8am arrives about 2:30pm.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you leave from BDL you will need to connect in either ORD or MSP.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Montanacreekhunter has the answer. When ever I have to head back east to see family I always fly AK Airlines. AK Airlines has service to Logan, with some flights stoping in Anch and some going directly from Fai to Seattle and then onto Boston.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I fly BOS to SEA, then SEA to JNU. As I don't need to get up to ANC.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you are coming back with meat/fish you don't want any other flight. Trust me I have over 30 years flying to/from.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In my experience Alaska Airlines is one of the most gun friendly airlines I have used, never had an issue. I like to travel with my rifles in a sports case. When you see a rifle case you think guns,, mine just look like another golfer. I have 2 rifles and two packs plus clothes in these photos. I remove the bolts and pack them in a different bag, I know I'm taking a chance that the other bag might be lost, but I feel there is less chance someone will steal the rifle without the bolt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I fly back every year and I wouldnt fly anything but AK Air. My folks on the other hand have flown with delta a few times and have been stuck in Minneapolis twice now. At least if your flight gets screwed up when your in Seattle or Portland there is more than 2 flights a day going to ANC. Also, I would stick with Logan unless its cheaper out of Newark. I cant stand NJ.

Last edited by ptarmigan; 05/06/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find AK Air to be pretty damn gun/meat friendly, and use them whenever available.

Not to change the subject, but how about some details on that Mustang 1st Sarge!? smile

Jeff

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
...We at Alaska Air Group strive to please, thank you very much... smile

I used to - and still do sometimes - travel with the bolt and rifle in separate bags. Probably won't prevent the random quick-theft of a rifle, but does make it useless to the [bleep] until he buys a new bolt and gets it fitted (unlikely).

So you have lost your rifle in either case, but thwarted any profit to the thief without the bolt. Used to carry the bolt with me as carry-on to lessen the chance that it would go astray, but that is no longer permissable.

Read up on the regs - basically you need a hard-side, lockable rifle case that one cannot get a hand into at any point once locked. In Alaska, at least, TSA will swab the case without opening it, unless they come up with a trace. Then they may have you open it. Don't know about elsewhere. You can include ammo (and other stuff)in the case. As noted by another poster, it is advantageous to get an over-size case and load it up to the 50 lb. (or whatever) limit..all airlines now have bag restrictions for numbers and weight, and differing costs for extra bags over the allowed "free" ones (if any). Research this, especially if traveling on more than one airline.

Alaska Airlines has different bag rules if traveling within the state (3 free, to 50 lbs ea), vs traveling interstate (one free, I think).

You will have to put a declaration inside the case before locking it up and letting TSA have it.

Get a good case - I happen to know how baggage handlers move bags... smile and it is not with kid-gloves. Can't, when handling several thousand pounds of bags twice within the half-hour. Alaska Air has a 20 minute guarantee from door open to baggage well - or you get a $20 certificate for the asking for the next time you fly. It'sn a good 25 feet down the length of those baggage holds on the plane, with one guy at the bag-face, another at the hatch, and a third at the end of the belt loader, with bags coming fast and furious on heavy loads. We are only as gentle as conditions allow. Bags get slid hard, or even thrown down the length of the baggage hold - from our knees - it's a low overhead in there.

Baggage handlers may be employees of the airline (Alaska Air rampers within Alaska), or may be employees of a contract company (Outside). We like to think that those of us working directly for the airline are a cut above, with more pride and care in our work and employing airline...

You will have to claim your rifle at a separate location at larger airports, and show ID- your boarding pass will do. So keep the BP or picture ID handy. At smaller airports like Kotzebue, we do generally pass riflecases out to the customer thru the bagwell on presentation of ID, after the regular baggage is out.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
...We at Alaska Air Group strive to please, thank you very much... smile

I used to - and still do sometimes - travel with the bolt and rifle in separate bags. Probably won't prevent the random quick-theft of a rifle, but does make it useless to the [bleep] until he buys a new bolt and gets it fitted (unlikely).

So you have lost your rifle in either case, but thwarted any profit to the thief without the bolt. Used to carry the bolt with me as carry-on to lessen the chance that it would go astray, but that is no longer permissable.

Read up on the regs - basically you need a hard-side, lockable rifle case that one cannot get a hand into at any point once locked. In Alaska, at least, TSA will swab the case without opening it, unless they come up with a trace. Then they may have you open it. Don't know about elsewhere. You can include ammo (and other stuff)in the case. As noted by another poster, it is advantageous to get an over-size case and load it up to the 50 lb. (or whatever) limit..all airlines now have bag restrictions for numbers and weight, and differing costs for extra bags over the allowed "free" ones (if any). Research this, especially if traveling on more than one airline.

Alaska Airlines has different bag rules if traveling within the state (3 free, to 50 lbs ea), vs traveling interstate (one free, I think).

You will have to put a declaration inside the case before locking it up and letting TSA have it.

Get a good case - I happen to know how baggage handlers move bags... smile and it is not with kid-gloves. Can't, when handling several thousand pounds of bags twice within the half-hour. Alaska Air has a 20 minute guarantee from door open to baggage well - or you get a $20 certificate for the asking for the next time you fly. It'sn a good 25 feet down the length of those baggage holds on the plane, with one guy at the bag-face, another at the hatch, and a third at the end of the belt loader, with bags coming fast and furious on heavy loads. We are only as gentle as conditions allow. Bags get slid hard, or even thrown down the length of the baggage hold - from our knees - it's a low overhead in there.

Baggage handlers may be employees of the airline (Alaska Air rampers within Alaska), or may be employees of a contract company (Outside). We like to think that those of us working directly for the airline are a cut above, with more pride and care in our work and employing airline...

You will have to claim your rifle at a separate location at larger airports, and show ID- your boarding pass will do. So keep the BP or picture ID handy. At smaller airports like Kotzebue, we do generally pass riflecases out to the customer thru the bagwell on presentation of ID, after the regular baggage is out.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by akjeff
I find AK Air to be pretty damn gun/meat friendly, and use them whenever available.

Not to change the subject, but how about some details on that Mustang 1st Sarge!? smile

Jeff

Wife's car,, she lets me hunt and she has her car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7_iQAttjuY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A fair trade......very nice!

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all of the information everyone!
I will be taking a look at Alaska Air for sure. I live in CT so going to either Boston or Harford to fly is not that big of a deal but I don't think I can handle driving down to Newark to catch a flight even if it was cheaper haha. Hopefully AK air runs to either CT or Mass.

I need to get to Anchorage and my buddy will be picking me up there and bringing me back to Valdez. He travels to Anchorage often and didnt think it was worth the extra cost of me flying all the way to Valdez.

I am probably buying my gun case this week and was planning on the Pelican 1750. Most reviews I have read say the case is pretty sturdy. Although it may be heavier then other brands.

Any specific locks for the gun case I should go with?

What is the best way to go about packaging meat/fish for the return flight?

Thanks guys!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Centurion75

We fly to the east coast all the time and use Alaska Airlines. AA has service in and out of Boston so getting a flight should be pretty easy. We prefer the 1 stop flights that go either through Detroit or Minneapolis and last year when we flew I brought my bow in a soft case and it arrived without a scratch. We are flying back east again this summer and will be using AA.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For the locks look for TSA approved(should say on pack). If you can, get them all keyed the same, usually a pack of four will be that way. I keep one key on my key ring and one in my wallet, just in case.

Shipping meat: I pack clothes in an ice chest and mail them back or leave them there. I have a set of clothes in Texas, and a buddy has a set of clothes here. All we need is rifle and carry-on bag, which gives you one extra bag for shipping meat. If you use a processor, they can ship all your meat to you, but it is spendy. If you buddy is a "Known Shipper" he can ship it to you. But you will have to pick it up at the airport.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We flew STL to ANC last summer via ALASKA AIR roundtrip. Our travel agent hooked us up for $100 First Class upgrades. Cost me an extra $400 for the wife and I, but the difference in comfort level was worth the price alone. Then you get two free checked bags and one carry-on. I didn't pay extra for the fish boxes so the net cost was around $125 for the upgrade. If I had a choice I'd always choose ALASKA AIR.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.