Print Thread
Hop To
A
akpls Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The house shook for a few seconds about 25 minutes ago. Looks like a 5.4 50 miles NW of Fairbanks. A rather small one...nothing even fell down. sleep

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I initially thought it was one of the boys - and scolded one of them appropriately. Then the apt really started rocking and I realized the earth was having a mild heart attack. Things were rattling and I kind of expected to hear something crash but no; having just lain down on the couch I was able to feel the shuddering for over a minute after the main roller.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we were at the cabin having a late lunch

no harm, no foul, no worries

or so we thought

next day neighbors came by to see if I had a bottle jack and some steel.

we had lots of rain and dang near flooded our cabin this summer over 4th of July, so my steel is buried in silt, somewhere under the danged cabin.

but the reason they were askin, my 70 year old neighbor went had gone out the following morning and noticed his porch was awry

reason being the combo of saturated wet ground and the roller had his cabin posts tilting at about a 45 degree angle!

so we put a rope along around it, jacked it up and proceeded to straighten out his foundation posts, took most of the morning, but his 2 Sil's were there and his two grandsons (late teens, early 20's)

don't think the old boy that owns the cabin even got his knees dirty

and that's how it should be.

but man o man we dodged a bullet, if that place would have torn loose from those posts and hit the ground then we'd have really had a chore. In fact I'm not sure exactly what our plan of action would have been at that point.

but all's well that ends well, the ole boy and his missus that own that cabin are the salt of the earth.

his folks are buried just down the river, side by side, same way they went through this life

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.